one nail allways comes off!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tavinailtech

Reaction score
Ok , I have this client that allways comes back with her thumb nail off. She was one of my models in school and now she just drives me nuts. She will take my file and go over what I have done, she will brush dust from her hands after i have, she just down right drives me nuts! I know she is a picker, cause about every other month or so, she will pick the set off and think she needs a new set!! Uggg drives me nuts! Now i did a set of Gels on her last week, she rings me up today, to say she lost that thumb nail again, she was just sitting at the table and "POP" it came off!! sure! Now, she wants to put L& P on.

I said i would try that only on the one nail to see what happens. Told her to not take the others off!! Her nails are thin from her last tech (quickie nail bar) and i can't get it threw her head she is just making them thiner every time she picks and bites them off. You can't build a stong house on a weak fondation. Could it just be that she can't wear gel.....on one nail????

What to do? and what to say to her so that I don't sound like a horses behind??
advice pleaseeee...she is coming tonight..
~Jac

I dont think its anything to do with you or your application. if its always the same thumb then she is a picker/biter. She probably has it in her mouth all the time squeezing it between her teeth, testing the flexibility of the nail etc untill it eventually comes off. Then she blames you. Just tel her that NO ONE ELSE has this problem so it much be something that she does.

As for brushing and filing her nails when you have finished, well when you have finished with your brush and file, pop them back in your drawer out of her way so that she cant get her hands on them.

Clients ! ! ! ! Its a love hate relationship

hmm being a picker myself I would have to say that it does sound like she has picked. Sometimes its unbearable, you find a bit which has lifted only slighty and then I can't help myself.

I have to say though, I am surprised that she is still picking if her nails are weak and thin, they must be sore to. Put your prices up drastically, that may stop her!!!

Ok, so she's a picker! (and having her nails done for free, no doubt)

Start charging for your work.

Find another model

She''ll soon stop picking! Ive always found that the pickers are always the ones who get it for free.

Those who pay wont pick! (if you had paid for a set of nails, you certainly wouldn't pull/prise or bite them off, would you?)

That's my guess work anyway. Am I right?

I know its hard to find a model, but your already scrutinising and comparing your own work as it is. Constructive critism is fine, but down right "pickiness" is just not on!
Friend or no friend.

Well now, how are we going to sort this for you? As a nail technician you must be as concerned for the health of her natural nail as you are for keeping those little suckers on! You have to go through a hefty consultation with her to get to the root of the problem, and you need to be firm. The fact that you are trying to build this nail on a foundation that is getting weaker and weaker must be a cause for concern. It's a vicious cycle, and in the end it will mean that you won't be able to apply anything to them as they will be too damaged. At worst she will end up derailing her nail plate. YOU MUST TELL HER THIS AND GET HER TO TAKE IT SERIOUSLY!

Alarm bells rang when she asked for l&p. If these babes are just pinging off then why is she asking for this? Is it because she has heard they are stronger? If so then she is obviously knocking this one.

I would tell her that you cannot go on like this. That the advice you give is to take that one nail very short, then when you have let the old damage grow out, and are no longer breaking it then you can leave it to grow longer.

If she won't take your advice then that is HER problem, just get her to sign that you have given it to cover you.

Great advice already has been given and I agree............if it is just 1 nail then she is picking it off....I once had a client with this same problem and it was always her right hand thumb........I eventually figured out as she was a community nurse she was in & out her car loads in a day, and she was dead heavy handed putting on her seat belt! and would usually bang this nail as she put the seatbelt on, sometimes cracking it, then she would have a pick at it until it came off!! Interrogate this client and get to the real root of this problem.........Shine the light in her eyes till she breaks and confesses!!!

I did her thumb nail, and it looked just fine! I made darn good and sure my prep was super duper! And she says, if it comes off again or any one the other ones i will just stop by, I said that was fine, but i am now charging for each repair, unless it happens in the first 24 hours after the set is on. She said ohhh really so do i have to pay for this one? I said yes... *shocked looked* ohh my~! i called her this morning to see how she was doing... and low and behold, all the nails are still on!! Ha ha! I hope this stops the picking monster!
thanks Jac~

good for you! i do have to say though, i still pick and i always pay, does this make me a bad person?!?!?

i too am a picker!! lol, but i can fix mine everyday if i like. He big problem was she blamed it on me!! ackkkk!!

Latest posts

Back