onycholysis

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailfairy

Reaction score
Had a lady come to me since march for L&Ps . I removed her nails for her about 6 weeks ago now and gave her a manicure. Nails were fine. As she was having surgery and couldnt have them on in the operating theatre. So I havent seen her for 6 weeks as shes been hiding from the world(facelift!!) Anyway today she came to me for a manicure and on about 3 of her nails she has Onycholysis.
Never seen it before but im sure thats what it is.. its like where her free edge is, the free edge is lower down than it should be. Her nails were fine when i removed them and she did admit that shes been poking things down her nail trying to remove dirt. What should I do?? can it be treated?? Can she have enhancements on again??

Hi Donna,

I'm studying at the moment and we were told that when a client presents with Onycholysis, that nails should be kept short and tidy to try and fix things. We were advised not to give Nail Extensions to a client with nail separation as the length can only make the condition worse.
This is a text book answer as I've never treated anyone with this condition so maybe the geeks here can give you a more professional answer than me.

good luck
Linda

There is no treatment but TIME.

Manicure until the nails grow out and then you can apply enhancements again.

People shouldnt go poking things under the free edge. Break the hyponychium and this can be the result.

You can't put enhancements on to the nails with Onycholysis, as this will only make the problem worse. You do need to inform her that poking things down her nails is the 'most likely' cause of this.

She will need to keep her nails short, and therefore enhancements will simply put further stress on her nails..
With good care, and regular manicures her free edges should start to get better...

Sue x

Latest posts

Back