Partnership advice?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi eveyone, i'm new here so I hope I've found the right place to get advice! 3 years ago I set a mobile hair and beauty business with my sister in law. Last year she took a step back as she has two jobs and so couldn't commit to the weddings etc. This has always been a hobby of hers, not a business venture. So I found a new MUA and agreed she takes 20% of her wage for recommending the work. My business partner was to take charge of emails... not that there were many as most bookings came from facebook which I would deal with. Anyhoooo, I've taken the plunge and gone self employed and asked her to hand the emails to me as i have more time, and that I was going to advertise A LOT and if she would go halves as she always maintained it was 50/50. She refused both. We had a massive bust up and she got personal. I want to carry on using the name I worked so hard to get a good reputation for, but she refuses to let me. This is my main job now i need to get work! She is now saying she will get a solicitor to write a proposal to buy her out... she hasn't put anything into it in the last year and is getting 20% a time from the MUA! So now I'm left with no choice but to change the name because she thinks i should pay her more than what I offered (a refund on the quarter that is left on the website) I cannot afford much. I'm the one who built up a reputation and do most of the work! So any advice or ideas on a new name (one word) would be so much appreciated. Thank you :) xx

I think you need to seek legal advice to fully extricate yourself from this partnership before you start up a new business, otherwise it could get very messy.

Totally agree with the above but would also add - do you have log in details for the business website? Has the business name ever been registered with the IPO (trademarked)? If not she has no claim on it. You could claim it and stop her using it.

However - new broom sweeps clean. I would personally take this opportunity to start afresh with no old baggage. I think you could make this the launch of something that is all about you and your business. Get all the contact details that you can and tell her to shove it [emoji85]

Thanks for your replies. No the business is not registered or tradmarked. It was only ever a small side line job, one she saw as a hobby. But now it's taking off I've committed myself to it and quit my job. Can she put a price on buying her out if all she was respond to a few emails? The name was decided through a client, we both designed the website and marketing materials and she's not contributed to advertising. Where do I stand?

Definitely time to get some legal advice. Make the appointment as soon as you can and take whatever records you have with you.
Once you have done this you will be less stressed out about the situation and the solicitor will write any necessary letters. This is all it takes sometimes to resolve a situation like this. If it needs more then you will be confident that your advisor will take the necessary actions.

You'll be amazed how much better you will feel once you put the matter into official hands. We all need help sometimes .

Make the appointment tomorrow and start planning your new solo venture!
Good luck & be strong! [emoji4]

This happened to a friend of mine who opened a wedding Venu and her partner was the caterer and took 50% of profit share, she has had a baby in the interim and has not returned to work for over a year and my friend decided to outsource the catering to a chef but no partnerships again!

The best of friendships can be ruined over money and it is sad when they involve family members.
In any duo there is the likelihood of one member doing the bulk of the work as opposed to equal share.

Good luck with trying to figure this out.
I would think of there was no legal entity or bank accounts or tax records set up to prove the partnership then there really is nothing but her word vs your word. And if the name is not trademark I would carry on using the name and change email address and notify public ally on your Facebook and social media the change of email.

Good luck xx

Latest posts

Back