Patch Test Advice Please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex-Lydia

Reaction score
Hi fellow Hair Geeks,

I am after some advice.

Last Wednesday a new client come in with one of my stylist's for a consultation and a patch test, she did it all as is salon policy and booked client in for this Saturday. We ask clients to ring us back only if they have a reaction.

Well, this Wednesday evening she came back in and said her skin had had a reaction but not until the Monday - 4 days later, looking at her skin I could see what did look like a proper reaction .

I have never experienced a client have such a late reaction - has anyone else?

We use Goldwell, and I phoned Mayfair Academy and spoke to the tech team and they have said re-test behind ear, not on inner elbow as we always do (they said this was not wrong though) and leave it another week. So we are in the process of getting in touch with client to explain to them.

Also I am concerned that we could have coloured the clients hair on the Saturday before the reaction - not sure where we would have stood then with insurance or more importantly what would have happened to client.

Any views/explanations would be very appreciated please.

I don't have an explanation for her late reaction but if this is really concerning you for future clients maybe a more reliable patch test could be the way forward.. Have u heard of the 'colorstart' patch test? I've used them before and really do give you peace of mind.

Just getting back into hairdressing. What is a colourstart patch test?? Hairdressing has changed a lot in the last 7 years!!

Just getting back into hairdressing. What is a colourstart patch test?? Hairdressing has changed a lot in the last 7 years!!

It's a bit like a tattoo transfer that the client transfers onto their arm 48 hrs before their appointment. When they come into the salon you remove it.. If its swollen or red they've had a reaction. It's 100% covered by insurance and really convenient because the client takes it home with them...saving time on patch testing for u and them! They work out about 70p each.

Hi fellow Hair Geeks,

I am after some advice.

Last Wednesday a new client come in with one of my stylist's for a consultation and a patch test, she did it all as is salon policy and booked client in for this Saturday. We ask clients to ring us back only if they have a reaction.

Well, this Wednesday evening she came back in and said her skin had had a reaction but not until the Monday - 4 days later, looking at her skin I could see what did look like a proper reaction .

I have never experienced a client have such a late reaction - has anyone else?

We use Goldwell, and I phoned Mayfair Academy and spoke to the tech team and they have said re-test behind ear, not on inner elbow as we always do (they said this was not wrong though) and leave it another week. So we are in the process of getting in touch with client to explain to them.

Also I am concerned that we could have coloured the clients hair on the Saturday before the reaction - not sure where we would have stood then with insurance or more importantly what would have happened to client.

Any views/explanations would be very appreciated please.

I'm in beauty but yes I have experienced something similar and although it's not a normal occurrence it can happen. We had a client who was tested for an eyelash perm - no reaction. Then around 5 days after her treatment took place her eyelashes fell out. Luckily for us all correct procedures were followed so we were completely covered but it can be so scary

At least the client called you to tell you she reacted to the test

xoxo

I don't have an explanation for her late reaction but if this is really concerning you for future clients maybe a more reliable patch test could be the way forward.. Have u heard of the 'colorstart' patch test? I've used them before and really do give you peace of mind.

Hi, Thanks for response, I always like to test with the product I am using I figure if there is a problem I can go back to Goldwell and sort it out with them. As I said I have never had a problem like this before, infact never really had any kind of major allergy problem with a client before, so quite spooked by the whole thing.

Have been in touch with client and we have re tested so I will be interested to see what happens this time. x

If there was a documented patch test, both your insurance and the manufacturer would cover you in the event of a reaction.
I once had a client who didnt react to the patch test (documented), but had a horrid massive reaction to the colour application.
L'Oreal immediately took over and once the poor woman had recovered, had her in for allergy tests etc. My insurance were fine too. The lady didn't sue me, as she felt the patch test first was all I could have done, and it wasnt my fault that she reacted.

Sometimes the amount of pigment in a small patch is not enough to trigger, but once its all over the head then they react.
Just make sure you test and document, and any reactions come down to manufacturers and insurers.

Thats a scary story, thanks for sharing it Persianista - really makes you aware of importance of paperwork and working with a good colour company.

I remember being told when training (many years ago) to use either the colour you will be using or black because it has everything in it, don't know if that is still what they recommend. Also what you say about the pigment is interesting, makes sense.

Thanks for your insight x.

I'm in beauty but yes I have experienced something similar and although it's not a normal occurrence it can happen. We had a client who was tested for an eyelash perm - no reaction. Then around 5 days after her treatment took place her eyelashes fell out. Luckily for us all correct procedures were followed so we were completely covered but it can be so scary

At least the client called you to tell you she reacted to the test

xoxo

Thanks for your input, another scary story.

Yes, so glad she let us know, we told her to look for reactions for the next 48 hours, she may have chosen not to mention it as it was later. I think we will start to test behind the ear from now on so we can easily see if there has been any kind of reaction, not always so easy to see on inner arm.

x

Hi, Thanks for response, I always like to test with the product I am using I figure if there is a problem I can go back to Goldwell and sort it out with them. As I said I have never had a problem like this before, infact never really had any kind of major allergy problem with a client before, so quite spooked by the whole thing.

Have been in touch with client and we have re tested so I will be interested to see what happens this time. x

I hope her 2nd test comes back ok! ;)

I have a lady who has numerous allergies and goes into anaphylactic shock if she has a reaction. Eeek! It Can be scary! The patch tests for PPDs (the main cause of a severe reaction) which is present in all colours.. In fact these patches are hopefully going to be supplied with box colours before long! :)

Please excuse my ignorance here but why would you test twice? If the original test comes back positive is that not enough of a reason to say to the client 'nope it's unsafe for these reasons; X, Y & Z'. What if her 2nd test is negative, you do the treatment and she has a reaction? Won't your insurance still be invalid since her first test was positive? If a client of mine had a reaction I wouldn't go near them again with dye - sorry just a bit confused here

xoxo

Please excuse my ignorance here but why would you test twice? If the original test comes back positive is that not enough of a reason to say to the client 'nope it's unsafe for these reasons; X, Y & Z'. What if her 2nd test is negative, you do the treatment and she has a reaction? Won't your insurance still be invalid since her first test was positive? If a client of mine had a reaction I wouldn't go near them again with dye - sorry just a bit confused here

xoxo

I have a client that reacted once to a patch test so I said no then re tested her a 2 weeks after and she was fine.

few months after she wanted a change so again skin tested and she reacted again so left another 2 weeks and re-tested which she had no reaction too, we later established she only reacts when she is having a "womens week" (as the client put it) so we have to be very careful with her colouring appointments and when their booked. but it just goes to show Reactions are easily triggered.

xoxo

I am retesting because that is the advice I was given by Goldwell, I was not prepared to colour clients hair but Goldwell have told me to test again to see what happens and phone to discuss results with them.

I have a client that reacted once to a patch test so I said no then re tested her a 2 weeks after and she was fine.

few months after she wanted a change so again skin tested and she reacted again so left another 2 weeks and re-tested which she had no reaction too, we later established she only reacts when she is having a "womens week" (as the client put it) so we have to be very careful with her colouring appointments and when their booked. but it just goes to show Reactions are easily triggered.

Thanks for that info, I will ask her a few personal questions:o.

x

Thanks for that....i'll look for them the next time I go to the wholesalers!

That's interesting! Never heard of that before how strange but at least you know it now! Thanks xoxo

I think it would be great to see these patches supplied with box colours! It might save some lives! I never knew that a 'woman's week' could make u more sensitive but it makes sense! X

Latest posts

Back