Peed Off

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim Lawless

Grande Dame of the Brazilian Wax for Men and Women
Reaction score
I do my sisters nails, however, she decided to try to go without nails for a while. Anyhow, when she was out shopping last week with her daughter, on the spur of the moment, she went into a Vietnamese nail bar and had a full set done for £15.

Let me tell you ...............they are beautiful. The finish is one that I can only dream about. They are so perfect that I thought for a sec they were stick ons. They did use an e.file but were very gentle and she was in and out in an hour, airbrushed and all. This salon have a licence so I don't think they're using MMA, just cheap liquid.

I feel like giving up. How can we compete with those prices? I'm seriously thinking about specializing in natural nails only. I read somewhere that 90% of women don't have enhancements.

Wadya reckon?

Can you get a picture of these nails, I'd love to have a peek. Where abouts is this salon? Is it in Essex, I'd like to have a look.

I hear that - what a nightmare having to compete with prices like that - that was a big problem for me when I was starting out and quite a few of my friends got their nails done at these cheaper salons that still produced fantastic nails for pretty much the same - £15. Problem was, as friends, they expected big discounts but not on my prices - oh no, they wanted to pay even less than the £15 they usually paid! No way!!!!

But, there will always be clients who choose to use those salons, and then plenty of others who will choose to come to those of us offering premium products and services - just a case of setting ourselves apart from the competition!

Kimmi Rocks said:
I do my sisters nails, however, she decided to try to go without nails for a while. Anyhow, when she was out shopping last week with her daughter, on the spur of the moment, she went into a Vietnamese nail bar and had a full set done for £15.

Let me tell you ...............they are beautiful. The finish is one that I can only dream about. They are so perfect that I thought for a sec they were stick ons. They did use an e.file but were very gentle and she was in and out in an hour, airbrushed and all. This salon have a license so I don't think they're using MMA, jusy cheap liquid.

I feel like giving up. How can we compete with those prices? I'm seriously thinking about specializing in natural nails only. I read somewhere that 90% of women don't have enhancements.

Wadya reckon?
Dont give up! wait 2-3 weeks and then see if they are still fab only time will tell if they are as good as they first appear to be. let us know on a new thread later. Keep your chin up girl.

I've been to 2 brilliant NSS in the past - I ilke the one that uses OPI the best as they're American. Both are in Essex and though I think the prices are very cheap and the work is amazing only a small % of people actually go in.
Ask anyone what they expect a Nail Tech to be like and they'd say a uniformed, well educated professional. Most understand that it takes time to create a perfect nail and are happy to pay top dollar for a good service - start to finish.
Proper NSS are only for cheap payers and those that do not know any better and walk into the first place they see.
I have plenty of mates who wouldnt step foot into a NSS. Cheer up honey & set your sights a little higher and you'll get the top paying customers.

I did read Sylvia Johnsons article in Scatch about the use of e-drills and it is worth a thought - if your clients want quick, give them quick but in a safe and qualified manner. (same goes for airbrushing - mayb I would have been one of your clients instead!)

And lastly: Tracey Leja Creative educator - Loughton & Denise Wright NSI - Bluewater both have successful business' and are surrounded by NSS

Hope this helps

Post a piccie Kimmie! Would like to see them.

I don't know if any one remembers the article on "Watchdog" a couple of years ago about MMA but I do remember them saying that suspected "MMA" nails do tend to be half the amount of the price you would normally pay. As MMA is not only banned but filthy, dirty cheep so they can afford to undercut every one else. This may be the reason.

I really can't honestly believe that a good set of nails (which do not contain MMA) would cost so little , unless there was a discount on of some sort.

Hope this helps

Don't let these salons worry you. You are confident that what you are using is safe...Dont't give up either!

I do 50/50 enhancements and natural nails. My natural manicures are every 3 weeks and I do nail art for them, french, with jewels etc. This has started to get me a lot of business doing pedicures as people seem to like the nail art on their toe nails. I now go and do a manicure and pedicure with some customers and I have to say I really enjoy doing them and creating new designs.:biggrin: I am really hoping that this will catch on for the summer when everyones feet are on show. I am thinking of doing a promotion half price pedicure with a natural manicure.

Chin up hon. Don't let it get you down.
I can't see from yr profile if you offer any other beauty services. Why don't you try and offer a couple more beauty services so you can , for example, get yr nails done and offer spray tanning. Or do a waxing course.
I started out wanting to do just nails but waxing has been a god send for me. I reckon i must do at least 15 lots of eyebrows a week which at £4 a go pays for my rent !!! And I've only been open at my new salon for 7 weeks. Majority of my nail clients let me do their waxing as I really big it up while I have their undivided attention for an hour doing their nails.
Many of the NSS places don't offer extras other than nail art. The one near to wher I live the staff don't even hold conversations with their clients !!
It is all about selling yrself to that 10% of the ladies that allegedly have their nails done. There are probably about 4 places within my vicinity that offer nails and another one opening soon i believe. Believe me though, 5 salons offering nails is still thin on the ground when you see how many chimney pots there are in my area.
I find that my week is probably 50/50 doing nails and other beauty services.
Keep positive hon. You will survive if you have the determinaton.
HTH

Debsidoo99 said:
Chin up hon. Don't let it get you down.
I can't see from yr profile if you offer any other beauty services. Why don't you try and offer a couple more beauty services so you can , for example, get yr nails done and offer spray tanning. Or do a waxing course.
I started out wanting to do just nails but waxing has been a god send for me. I reckon i must do at least 15 lots of eyebrows a week which at £4 a go pays for my rent !!! And I've only been open at my new salon for 7 weeks. Majority of my nail clients let me do their waxing as I really big it up while I have their undivided attention for an hour doing their nails.
Many of the NSS places don't offer extras other than nail art. The one near to wher I live the staff don't even hold conversations with their clients !!
It is all about selling yrself to that 10% of the ladies that allegedly have their nails done. There are probably about 4 places within my vicinity that offer nails and another one opening soon i believe. Believe me though, 5 salons offering nails is still thin on the ground when you see how many chimney pots there are in my area.
I find that my week is probably 50/50 doing nails and other beauty services.
Keep positive hon. You will survive if you have the determinaton.
HTH

Oh..thanks for your kind words sweetie. You've really given me a boost. I've been looking for waxing courses in my area as I'd like to offer this as a service. I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks again..you're a star.
Kimxxx

Oh Kimmi - cheer up honey! Come to the next Geek meeting at Debs and you can let of steam with the rest of your Geeky mates!!!!!

NailNovice2 said:
Oh Kimmi - cheer up honey! Come to the next Geek meeting at Debs and you can let of steam with the rest of your Geeky mates!!!!!

Yeah..I'll do just that. I'd love to meet you all.

Kim xx

Latest posts

Back