Personal Safety on House Calls

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thinkpink

Reaction score
Just wondering if any one has thoughts on this subject. Recently on the news a real estate agent went to meet a client for a viewing of a vacant home. It was a set up, and she was murdered. Until recently I have worked part time for a driving school. We were not permitted to approach the clients front door we had to stay with the car at the kerb. the client when booking was told to look out for the car and come out side to the car to start their lesson. About four weeks ago i did a house call for nails. It was a fairly lonely area in amongst the cane fields. The lady I was called to do her nails was lovely, but their were alot of other women in the house and I was made to feel like I was introding. One women especially made it clear she was not happy with me talking to her girlfriend( my client). Another women kept speaking sexually explicitly about her past girlfriends. I felt out of my comfort zone and uncomfortable. after I had finished the ladies nails I explained that she lived further from me than I had realised and recommended a Nail Tech in her area with a shop. Upon which another women piped up "Oh her, she was my first ever girlfriend. I left! :irked: All this makes me wonder about what other techs do to ensure their safety, or do you all not think about it? We really never know what we are walking into do we. Sorry about the long post didn't know how else to explain.

I used to do a little bit of mobile, and now im doing tanning parties, but i dont advertise and only get bookings for it from word of mouth. so theres always some kind of network of clients. I would hate to go to a 'random' persons house.

ive never done mobile and one of the reasons is because of safety. theres way too many crazy people around and theres a huge risk going to someones house you wouldnt know from a bar of soap!

Personal safety has always been top of my list as I come from a field sales background and was always on the road going into new companies. I always told my receptionist where I was going and the time I expected to be back and made her write it down.

It was the same when I was mobile, I always left a list of new places I went to so my family knew where I was. Now I am home based and it's a bit more difficult, inviting strangers into your house is odd, but I keep all the doors shut in the house as I'm more worried they'll run off with the silver than do anything to me (not that I have any silver)

Good thread though hun, I'm sure a lot of people don't give it a thought, but it has always been on my mind since the case of Suzie Lampluh, an estate agent in this country who disappeared and has never been found, even though a man is in jail for her murder.

Hi if you do a search and type in 'personal safety' there is an article I did a while ago...hope it's some help. I am no longer mobile but when I was safety was my always my first priority xx

i do some mobile visits and it worries my boyfriend terribly. I always teel him where i am going the phone number of the place i am going to and address and a time that i will finish when i will ring him. I take a mini can of hair spray with me and keep that in my back pocket to spray into eyes if need be! a panic alarm in my bag just incase and never ever go to visit men!.

Thanks for all the advise. I like the idea of leaving some one with the place and phone number of where i am going. I have not been doing that. I have decided next year I will not be advertising a mobile service in the yellowpages. unfortunately I am still advertised as "Karen's Mobile Nails" in this years. New one doesn't come out till April next year. I'm glad i changed my business name. next year people will have to come to me. I feel safer that way.

Sassy Hassy said:
Now I am home based and it's a bit more difficult, inviting strangers into your house is odd, but I keep all the doors shut in the house as I'm more worried they'll run off with the silver than do anything to me (not that I have any silver) .
i think i'd be more worried they would see my messy house, lol!

Sassy Hassy said:
Good thread though hun, I'm sure a lot of people don't give it a thought, but it has always been on my mind since the case of Suzie Lampluh, an estate agent in this country who disappeared and has never been found, even though a man is in jail for her murder.
But yes this is a good thread, must admit it never really crossed my mind when i was mobile, and i also remember the Suzie lamplugh case!

Maybe get some one to call you at a certain time just to check all ok, could be a bit tricky though, hmm.

How long ago was the Suzie Lamlugh case? I'm sure the one I saw was only on Aussie news about 4 weeks ago at most. I thought The one I saw was in Australia. Maybe i'm wrong, or it's some creepy copy cat!

Might I suggest that you be talking on thecell phone with a friend as you approach the door. You need not hold it up to your ear just let the other person know what is going on and then when you feel comfortable say goodbye. This way they know where you are and check in every half hour. Tell your friend to call you 15 minutes after you get there then every half hour after that. If you are unsure about the residence ask the local polie dept. if there is a history of crime at that residence. Tell them who you are and why and they will let you know what if any crimes have been reported from that residence. Good luck.

Naillover

Yes, safety concerns me a lot that why i don't do mobile. Even thow i work at home my boyfriend is usually at home (asleep as he works night, but i asume we would come to my rescue), but also most of my clients are known persons or their referrals so it puts my mind at ease. This thread just reminded me that my boyfriend has a shocker machine he carries aroung when he's working just in case, i might borow that if someone i don't know is coming in... Just in case... Better safe than sorry they say!

Prionace said:
Yes, safety concerns me a lot that why i don't do mobile. Even thow i work at home my boyfriend is usually at home (asleep as he works night, but i asume we would come to my rescue), but also most of my clients are known persons or their referrals so it puts my mind at ease. This thread just reminded me that my boyfriend has a shocker machine he carries aroung when he's working just in case, i might borow that if someone i don't know is coming in... Just in case... Better safe than sorry they say!

I am afraid you couldn't carry this "shocker machine" here in this country, otherwise you would be prosecuted for carrying an offensive weapon....!!

The Suzy Lamplugh case was several years ago in England.....In fact her mother set up the Suzy Lamplugh Trust which is an organisation which highlights personal safety and I am sure if you were worried about these issues they would provide a list of things you could do to keep you safe....I am sure there will be a website as well......http://www.suzylamplugh.org/

Have a look it is full of really good information ..........Good thread by the way!!

Great thread!! i have to say i never thought of this, although so far i only had clients who i know, also i live in a small village and know most people, so that isn't too bad - but its gonna make me think twice now when i go to a stangers house. (mind u i aint allowed out the house anyway until i tell me mum/dad where im going, how long im gonna be etc)

What a though provoking, informative thread. My complements to whoever started it. This is exactly the type of discussion that keeps me addicted to this site.
Well done.

Great thread.

I am mobile and always make sure i have an address, number and rough times as to when i will get there and leave. On occasions i do evenings, i will text my hubby on arrival so he knows i'm fine, then again as i'm leaving although i do this once i am in my car. ( before i start to drive.)

I would never do a male client on my own but would take a mate with me as a sort of chaporone if you like. Plus i also tend to stay within a certain area which i usually know quite well.

I have been lucky so far and would always make sure someone knew where i was. Eventually i would like to have a permanant place, but then you can#t always guarentee who you are letting into your home either. Scarey in all aspects really.

I wont do mobile, most of my business is word of mouth and hubby works from home but I still advertise in the local paper I kept getting a call from some maniac for weeks till hubby told him where to go!!! Its such a shame that this world has come to this where we live in fear

Great thread

The shockes machines are illegal here too, but i rather be prosecuted than murdered or something like that... Besides i don't intend to use it. Unless i have too...

i always let people know where i am, most of my mobiles are regulars and i try to get new people to come to the house, and i have a large family so someone is always there. I removed the male stuff from my price list after discussing it with a mate. This doesn't mean i don't do male stuff, just word of mouth instead of advertising it.

Don't worry about using a weapon to defend yourself... after all you could always say it was theirs. your word against theirs. Don't think the law will be on your side if you get attacked. chances are they will get off (in fact statistally its about a 99.99% chance they will get off even if taken to court) so if something terrible does happen do whatever you can to defend yourself and look after yourself in the first place. Think about where your going and how they contacted you and who knows you are there.

Very good thread.
I'm a mobile and thankfully I have had most of my clients for a long time and I kniow where I'm going and my Husband should but I don't always remember to tell him! I should really.
Last week I had a call from a stranger asking for nail services and I booked her in. A few days later I had to cancel as I just had a real bsd feeling about the appointment. She said I'd have to park in a supermarket car park in the eve, soon getting dark too, and walk through the town to her address. It just didn't gel & I cancelled.

I think all us mobiles should check addresses by looking in phone book, and let people know where we are etc.

My next clients coming to me tonight thank god!

You definitely have to put yourself first. I reluctantly turned away a male client whom I saw when I rented a room in a hairdressers. I was quite happy whilst in the hairdressers having male clients but now I am mobile I had 2nd thoughts.

Someone who had been mobile for 10 years said she never did male clients in their home unless she knew the family. She said even if the wife or girlfriend was going to be there you just never know what you are walking into. Quite right really.

I told him I couldn't do male clients in their home and recommended a friend's salon. He understood perfectly. Shame I had to do this but it's a bit like a young girl walking down a dark alley at night!

I need to do some advertising but as someone said earlier bit worrying when a new client books, and you don't know them! Better word of mouth

Deb379

Latest posts

Back