Please be gentle newbie here

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sophs

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I stumbled across this site at the the weekend, and have been lurking ever since, so I have just registered and popped into to say hi and ask for some advice :p

I have been thinking about training to be a nail tech for a while now, and really want to get started.

I want to be able to cover acrylics and fiberglass extensions aswell as manicure and predicure, but have no idea about where to go.
I really want to go the fastest, and cheapest way (I have just moved from the midlands and getting married in May so finances are tight) route to become a profession nail tech

Any ideas?

Welcome to the board: Cathy

Your will have a great time here!!

Sophs said:
Hi everyone

I stumbled across this site at the the weekend, and have been lurking ever since, so I have just registered and popped into to say hi and ask for some advice :p

I have been thinking about training to be a nail tech for a while now, and really want to get started.

I want to be able to cover acrylics and fiberglass extensions aswell as manicure and predicure, but have no idea about where to go.
I really want to go the fastest, and cheapest way (I have just moved from the midlands and getting married in May so finances are tight) route to become a profession nail tech

Any ideas?
Hi Sophs,

Firstly a very warm welcome, secondly you will get hooked if you aren't already :)

I know how it feels to want to get started fast but you do need to consider that when deciding on a course, you can't say that you want the cheapest or the fastest because I made that mistake and have had to fork out more than I expected because the training was so poor. I didn't feel I got my moneys worth and wish I had found this site before I started my nail course.

I know you said money is tight but if it were me I would see it as an investment and only having to do one course instead of 2 more after that where money might be tighter could delay your being a nail technician and making money due to poor training in the first place.

May advice is that you search this site for training / creative Nail / EZ-flow. You will get everybody's views on the variety of nail courses as well as contact telephone numbers, unfortunatley I don't have all of those, but maybe you can ask someone on here and then give the relevant places a call and ask them to send you all info and prices. Also, don't rush your decision and don't let anyone confuse you, choose a course that you have thought hard about and you feel is right for you, because you will get so many people on here that say creative is the best or EZ flow is the best but truthfully it's what works for you that's important! :hug:

You will really find alot of people on here that will support you and be there for you and your decision won't be as hard as you thought.

I hope this helps, sorry didn't mean to babble on :o

Good luck in what ever you decide!

Luv

Rose

hi hun & welcome

BE CAREFUL......dont go for the cheapest course you find.....you will be paying more for it in the long run...TRUST ME i know thats the way i did it!

Do your research you are SOOOOOO at the right place!!

Try Creative / EZ flow / LCN etc

Dont 'jump' into a course without asking them LOADS of questions some places use their 'own' brand of products and dont offer any 'support' afterwards which believe me you'll need!!!

Good luck

Ambxxx

welcome to the board

I'm a newbie too. I am going on my Creative foundation L+P course next week. It is a 4 day course, but think it has changed to a 5 day course now.

It may not be the cheapest but it is more reputable than the mega quick cheapy courses.

They have been very helpful with any questions i have had. Hope to do the Gel and Wrap with them in the near future too.

Am in the process of appling for a career development loan to help pay for all the training.

Em x

yep....hadnt seen your reply before i replied rose but em you are getting the general idea arent you!

There is a show in London (excel) end of this month may be good to get a 'taste' of whats on offer and see the pro's doing demos etc

Also MEGA BARGAINS.

see www.professionalbeauty.co.uk for tickets its free

HTH

Ambx

Hi Sophs

Welcome to the site - you'll love it! So much great advice here.

I totally agree with what Rose said. I am currently in training to be a nail tech. I've done the United Beauty Total Technician course and am due to do the Creative foundation course on Monday. I'm currently unemployed and am using savings to support myself and pay for the courses and supplies.

I understand that you want to spend as little money as possible but from what I've learnt, this is an industry in which you need to invest both money and time to become the best nail tech possible. Constant learning to update skills is essential.

As Rose said, you'll get loads of advice and support from people here to help you make the right decision for you so don't be afraid to ask.

Good luck with your decision!

Sal xxx

Thanks for the warm welcome

I have called designer nails, and they will be sending some info later on in the week for the foundation course.
Although I know on competion of the course I would receive a recognised certificate, I don't think this will make me a prfessional nail tech?
where would I go from there?

Hello!
Welcome to the site sweetie, get the most out of it, there are loads of people here who are willing to help in any way they can so just go ahead and ask.
With regards to training, definitely have a good look at all your options. There are countless good (and some bad, unfortunately!) courses out there for you to embark on. Personally I went for the VTCT Manicure and Pedicure and VTCT Advanced Nail Techniques course. Then the Creative Conversion Course. This is what I found best for me (but it might not be best for you). You have to look at what is available in your area, when you have time to attend the course and basically fit it round your life to suit you. This way suited me down to the ground because I have 2 children and work full time. I did the course at night school. The different nail companies run their own 'in-house' education programmes and a few educators come on the board, so I'm sure they will post and give you some advice too.
I hope I've helped a bit. I can only offer advice and an opinion on what I have personally done and what works for me.
Good Luck!
K x

Welcome to this fab site :D

Good luck and be sure to research all your options with regard to training, as there are several courses (good and sometimes not so good) available.

Sal said:
I understand that you want to spend as little money as possible but from what I've learnt, this is an industry in which you need to invest both money and time to become the best nail tech possible. Constant learning to update skills is essential.
Sal I couldn't have put it better myself. Sophs hun don't be fooled that doing nails is an easy option, it's a long journey of continued education and a major financial investment. So there are no quick and cheap ways if you want to be a professional nail technician, but the rewards when you get there are so worth it.

Good luck in whatever course you choose.

Just to second what most people have said, the best way to save money is actually to do a lot of research first. It can be confusing in the beginning - so many courses, so many opinions, that it can be hard to see the wood for the trees. Also try not to be like me :D and be tempted by every shiny sparkly thing that passes in front of your nose:o . Be prepared to spend money to save money in the long run by investing in trial kits for products instead of randomly buying... I went down the randomly buying route and ended up with things I didn't want or need. I have probably wasted more money that way than I spent on my training.

Take your time, budget and write everything down so you have it in black and white. Trust your gut instinct and if in doubt, ask a geek!

HTH, welcome to the site hun xxx

Hi, im a newbie too. Also think this website is great.

Im doing my VTCT course, which is part time. Run over 2 evenings a week for a year. Im thoroughly enjoying it, just covered overlays :irked:. . . . . . but still enjoying it.

Good luck with your course. Fingers crossed for you :D

Thanks again guys, I have registered to get a ticket to the exhibition at the end of the month, and now looking forward to that!
I shall carry on trawling the threads in the mean time :)

you will have such a good time at excel

Hi shoph's,
WELCOME :D
I too am a newbie and have just started a learn at home course,as the courses in my area do not start till june, i am learning loads but learning even more being a member of geekdom, Try the nail geeks tutorials, there fab, i print them off and save them. There are some very knowledgable and talented geeks and their all eager to give their advice and support.
I just love being in geekdom:Love:

Latest posts

Back