Please help, hair feels like straw

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helsbelsx

Reaction score
Hi I realy need some advice please. I have a longish side fringe but recently I have noticed it feels very straw like. I thought maybe it just needed a trim but when the hairdresser looked at it she couldnt do much with it apart from cut it short as the whole bit up to root is like it. It is now the length of what a normal fringe would be but I have it as a side fringe but it is still feeling like straw. The rest of my hair is fine and is quite soft . Is there anything I could do to make it better? Any treatment I could use just for the fringe? I do dye my hair blonde but ive been doing it for years and never been like this, I dont use straighteners but I do use a hairdryer.

Sorry if im not making much sense, I dont quite no how to explain what it is like etc.

Thank you in advance for any help xx

If you're changing the colour from dark to light, you're using a bleach based product.

Chances are if its a shop bought blonde box dye, it will have a high strength peroxide in it and you are probably re-applying some of the bleach mix to your already lightened fringe area. Overlapping bleach is a real no-no as the peroxide will strip the outer cuticle layer leaving your hair looking dull and straw-like.

Once the cuticle layer is damaged, there's nothing you can do other than get it cut.

Thank you for your reply. I do dye my hair and use boxed dye but I have been blonde for years, use the same brand and colour and only ever dye the roots. Unfortunately to cut the damaged bit out would mean cutting it at the roots :( will it grow out? xx

Coconut oil ! X

Coconut oil ! X
Yep another vote for that!

Not OTC shampoo with coconut oil in it...proper extra virgin coconut oil. Find it in heath food shops and.some large supermarkets. It's the stuff you cook with.

Use it as a treatment. Leave in hair as long as you can BUT get a good pro shampoo and.conditioner, stop with the box colours, and get it done properly at a salon

Yep another vote for that!

Not OTC shampoo with coconut oil in it...proper extra virgin coconut oil. Find it in heath food shops and.some large supermarkets. It's the stuff you cook with.

Use it as a treatment. Leave in hair as long as you can BUT get a good pro shampoo and.conditioner, stop with the box colours, and get it done properly at a salon

Thank you both I will get coconut oil and give that a go how long is too long to leave on and it wont react with the blonde dye?. Sorry to sound dumb but what is a good pro shampoo and conditioner?
Unfortunately I am unable to go to the salon as I cant afford it :( . Which is the only reason I use box products as I know they are not good for the hair, also dosnt help that I dye it blonde but I do only do roots. I use schwarzkopf live xxl 00a. xx

No pure coconut oil will be fine and you can leave it on over night but can leave hair greasy , I apply my conditioner then some coconut oil and leave for few minutes you will notice an improvement , also have a look at the Tigi range but that is my personal preference shampoo and conditioner x

Thank you so much for your help. I currently use the new garnier ultimate blend shampoo and conditioner which has coconut oil in it but I will definitely get pure coconut oil and leave it on over night and try that.
I will also try it how you do too but do you put coconut oil on top of your conditioner or after youve rinsed conditioner off.
Do you think i should just use it on the damaged fringe or all over the hair for the over night treatment. The rest of the hair does seem ok certainly not anywere near as bad as the fringe bit.
Sorry for all the questions xx

Hels, is there a college near you? Check them out for hairdressing, they're always looking for models and you pay a fraction of a salon price. It's all done under strict supervision.

Hi how long after dying my hair blonde can i use cocunut oil ? Its a shop bought dye and is the xxl live make . Thanks xx

Your problem is the live xxl box colour you are using

I know but i cant afford to get it done in a salon at the moment :( its also turning my roots orange

And burning my head but its all i can afford at the present moment

Hi how long after dying my hair blonde can i use cocunut oil ? Its a shop bought dye and is the xxl live make . Thanks xx

Oh dear god! The XXL dyes are the absolute worst!
They contain something called metallic salts and are totally incompatible with professional colourants. If it's burning your head, that means it causing a chemical reaction. You could be experiencing the first signs of an allergic reaction. Also, why do you think your hair is so badly damaged???

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...size-horrific-allergic-reaction-hair-dye.html

Coconut oil csn be used instantly..

Burning your head????
Why the heck are you still using that muck? Stop using it now, or the only thing you'll need to put on your head is pledge!

Once your scalp burns you're probably screwed! It'll burn the follicle if you don't stop
and nothing will grow!... Ever!!

Did you not see my last comment??
If money is tight, go to your local college and let the level 3 Hairdressers fix it, they need a colour correction to pass you'll pay a fraction of the price....if it's not beyond repair from over processing

All the money you're wasting on this boxed rubbish you could've paid for a salon colour

Good luck luvie,

Last edited:
Is it safe to put cocunut oil on after it being dyed less than an hour ago?

I've already told you you, you can use coconut oil instantly.. Instantly means straight away lol

11.50 at the college I trained at for a regrowth application what's a box of live xxl these days? £7? If not more? I used this once before I started hairdressing I had shoulder length hair and I had to have a bob cut very similar to what Victoria beckham used to have because my hair snapped so badly! Please trust us when we say go to a hairdressing college and get it done there or else it won't just be a small section of your hair your worried about

Sorry it hadnt shown any replys wen i asked again

Latest posts

Back