PLEASE HELP ;offered a job...not sure if its a good offer tho

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angie32

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was offered a job today but Im not sure if its a good deal or not.
I finished my nvq2 last year and am doing my Level three this year so this would be my first beauty job so excuse my ignorance

I would be self employed, have my own insurance, provide my own equipment and products and wash my own towels...and split what ever I make 50 50 with the owner. I would give her all that I take and she will give me 50 percent back at the end of the month. Does that sound like a good deal?

she will advertise for me by the way

No it's not a good deal!!
Why would she take the money off you and then give you 50% back??
Sounds strange.
If you have to supply all equipment and products then you shouldn't pay any more than 40%.

I agree with Angelina - it sounds like an extremely bad deal. You are effectively renting a room from this person. You would be self employed, providing everything yourself and washing your own towels. In all fairness she is providing the room, lights heating water etc... but taking half of your earning - so not even half of the profit, half of everything is a bit much I think. Also why are you giving her the money? If you are self employed you keep the money and pay her for what you have/use surely? Don't get me wrong I am mobile and work when I want for who I want and I realise I am lucky in that so I have no basis for comparison really but it sounds very dodgy to me! There was a thread I read yesterday about a similar situation but I can't quite remember it - I'll look it up for you and post it if I can find it.

ps what sort of advertising would she be doing for you?

Ok here it is I think. http://www.salongeek.com/biz-geek/98766-advice-please-self-employed-hourly-rate.html

All very well us sticking our 2 pennorth worth in but would you rather have 100% of nothing or 50% of a salon worth of clients money?
As you are just starting out, would it be a better plan to be employed a while to build your confidence and skills up before going it alone?

Hi, while i was doing level 3 last year i had work experience in a salon, she paid me 50% of what i made for the salon although i only did a few treatments:). When work exp finished i stayed on a couple days here & there still making 50% of treatments self employed all products equip ect. provided which was a very good deal, however i sometimes did 1 eyebrow wax the whole day as clients were firstly booked with other 2 employed therapists & i did leftovers so between clients i was cleaning, receptionist and whatever else for £3.00 for the whole day. The money for treatments i performed was put in the till or card payment/cheque then at end of the day i could take my 50% from till or owner would give me this daily.
I agree with other geeks that your deal is not good

Latest posts

Back