Please Sir...... Can we have more????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoticeableNails

Glitter Geek!
Reaction score
"More......you want more" I hear you cry! lol.

What I was wondering was in the light of a couple of recent threads could we please have another section for Critiques?
I think it would work really well if it was set up with certain rules to follow, for eg;
Certain quality of photo's
Certain angles
Constructive Criticism only

That way if people just want nicey nicey comments they can post a pic without fear of being "judged" so to speak! And those who Really Do Want Critiques and advice on improvement, have a place to post their pics too.
Anyway its just an idea, not sure if it is feasible, or even practical!

But in the mean-time could anyone offer me advice and critique on these?
They are Sculpted P&W on myself, I have extended my nail bed just a little with a custom blend in zone 2&3, and zone 1 is truly white (all Ezflow L&P).
I tried to take on the info from the advice I was offered on my last set.
Hopefully these photos will give a better idea of my nails and therefore better to critique!

(click on images for bigger pic)

Jo, I can't believe you've been doing nails for such a short time. What a brilliant achievement.

Ok, here's what I think. They look a little thick at the free edge. I like thin nails so I may be the only one who thinks so.

It's difficult to see if it's the camera angle and light but I would bring them in a little bit at the sides. Not the free edge, more around the middle.

Hats off to you Jo. Gonna go and practise now. xxxx

Thank you Kimmi, I am doing all I can to improve as I just love doing nails, and I want to be the best I can!
Dont want this to sound like an excuse coz it isn't! honest!
But I have skijumpy nails and a couple are slightly fan shaped so I do battle to bring in the side walls (especially the ring fingers).
As for the thickness I would sculpt thinner on clients, but for my ski jumps its hard to get the upper arch in without creating a weak point where my natural nail is! (hope you understand what I mean.
Thanks for your pointers Kimmi.

I came across to EZFlow one day for some stock and you were there doing your training - and I have watched your posts and pics and have seen you grow in confidence and ability so much its fantastic Jo :)

I dont think I could actually say anything that would be of much help for improving Jo because I really do think they are a a good set of nails - a set that I am sure salon clients would be happy to wear. I am not too sure on the thickness of the free edge I would say from the pics that they could be a tad thinner. It is obvious though that you have taken onboard the advice given to you on your earlier thread.

I have been very critical of my own nails never sure that I am good enough and I still have a way to go before I feel my nails look as I want them to but I reel sometimes when clients come in with nails on from other salons etc and they are so appalling!! But I digress lol Jo you are doing incredible and I will watch this thread because I am very interested in what advice some of our more seasoned geeks will give to you because I am sure that I will be able to apply to my nails as well :)

Take care
Jo xxx :hug:

The hardest part I find is those damned hips lol I am sure I just keep mirroring my own rofl But is soo hard when a client has short wide nail beds to make them look so much sleeker - I know after begging Sam for some advice when we were in London that is in the filing and I have been working on this. Advice peeps??

Hey Jo!

Firstly I agree with your idea of having a forum for critques - as like you and many other geeks have stated on the other thread - it would make a valuable tool for all of us geeks to learn from others. So fingers crossed, it is feasible! :D The pictures that you have loaded showing the different angles and parts of the nails are exactly what is needed and makes it much easier to 'asess' (not sure if thats the right word! Sounds too harsh!) the nails in turn. Whilst looking I noticed that on a couple of the nails, the product seems to be v.close to the skin area (cuticle and sidewalls) - which may cause lifting e.t.c. Also noticed the thickness that Kimmi has already said - EzFlows Antony did a sample nail on me at Earls Court and that is soo thin - something I am trying hard to work on!!! Your custom blending is looking good! I don't think I would have noticed that you had extended your nail bed if you hadn't said!
Like you I trained through EzFlow in October last year - also in l&P -so I hope this helps - the variety of pics and quality of them really did help ( Must remember to do similar in future - when I'm a bit braver!!!) :D

NoticeableNails said:
As for the thickness I would sculpt thinner on clients, but for my ski jumps its hard to get the upper arch in without creating a weak point where my natural nail is!QUOTE]

Oops! Sorry hun - took too long typing my reply and then found you had also replyed to Kimmi! :D

So why aren't you entering Novice at GMEX?

hi Jo

i have looked at your pics and can say they do look good but have also noticed as someone above that the acrylic does look like it is or nearly is touching the skin,If it isn't then i apologize and well done for getting it so near with out touching.

the other thing is the smile lines on picture one,They look like the white has bleed a bit in to the pink except the little finger which looks really good.

Bloody smile lines are the bain of my life as well but at the rate your going you will have this cracked in no time chick

i know you your one very determind lady xx

Cathie! said:
So why aren't you entering Novice at GMEX?

Ive only just found someone with nice enough nails for competition! There is not enough time for me to practice and perfect before G-Mex, as me n the hubby are away form Sunday till the 2nd Oct.
And the main reason is my timings! I take too long for comp!

p.s much prefer the pink to the blue hun xx

i want a really good camera now as this looks like a cheaper idea then going on to skill builds lol

the Critique on here is fab instead of OH YES THERE REALLY NICE

Gosh Jo you are doing so well ... you must be a natural to be producing nail like these in such a short time... they are a damm site better than I am doing and I am practicing loads. Hats off to you Jo, you are obvisously a very serious and determined lady and totally focused on job in hand .... I am really impressed. Sorry I can't find any critisim, I think your clients must be happy with sets like these. Well done ... so r u up for some one2one lol!!!

Hi Jo,
Like everyone else I think your idea for a critique section is a superb one!
And as for your nail pics ...well wow! ...look at you!
If I were giving my opinion I would have to agree with Kimmi regarding the thickness as it spoils a lovely set of nails. Its the free edges that are too thick...not your nails as such.
Smile lines are lovely & smiley...just a bit feathery here & there & the ring finger doesnt seem quite as smiley as the others but overall....a nice set I think.

Glorsclaws said:
Hi Jo,
Like everyone else I think your idea for a critique section is a superb one!
And as for your nail pics ...well wow! ...look at you!
If I were giving my opinion I would have to agree with Kimmi regarding the thickness as it spoils a lovely set of nails. Its the free edges that are too thick...not your nails as such.
Smile lines are lovely & smiley...just a bit feathery here & there & the ring finger doesnt seem quite as smiley as the others but overall....a nice set I think.

Sorry Glo.............I think you misunderstood me. When I said to take a bit of the sides and reduce the hump, I was talking about your nose. PMSL.

Oh Glo.............Bubba..............You asked for that one. Luv ya big time. xxx

NoticeableNails said:
......I have skijumpy nails and a couple are slightly fan shaped.........As for the thickness I would sculpt thinner on clients, but for my ski jumps its hard to get the upper arch in without creating a weak point where my natural nail is! (hope you understand what I mean.

If I was to thin the free edge would I not weeken the stucture? As these nails are sculpted on ski jump nails that are a few mm long. would thining them out not greate a week point?

I think I also made it more difficult on myself as I did the pink 1st then added the white, if you are using a coverage colour do you do it this way round?

Attachments

• Left1errors.JPG
    Left1errors.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 47
  • left2erroes.JPG
    left2erroes.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 41
  • left 3errors.JPG
    left 3errors.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 42
  • right1errors.JPG
    right1errors.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 53
Does anyone have an answer to this one?

I would just thin them out generally, all over. I wouldn't have thought it would make a difference if the nails are ski jump as the tip is between the nat nail and the acrylic the same as on any nail type. How about you thin one nail and take another pic for us and for yourself to see the difference? xxx

NoticeableNails said:
If I was to thin the free edge would I not weeken the stucture? As these nails are sculpted on ski jump nails that are a few mm long. would thining them out not greate a week point?

I think I also made it more difficult on myself as I did the pink 1st then added the white, if you are using a coverage colour do you do it this way round?

The strength is in the apex of a correctly placed c-curve, so thinning your free edge will not affect the strength - unless you used your jewels as tools!

Most people tend to do zone one and then 2 & 3 (except the way they teach Brisa, which is the way you did it).

HTH

[QUOTE

I think I also made it more difficult on myself as I did the pink 1st then added the white, if you are using a coverage colour do you do it this way round?[/QUOTE]

Hiya Jo,

I've seen Antony sculpt an extended nail bed the way you did it....he showed us to use your custom blended pink to extend the bed, creating the smile with the pink, blend it into the natural nail, where zone 2 meets zone 3, use it nice and thin, then go ahead and sculpt the nail as you normally would, using the extended bed you have created for placement of your white smile line.

I hope this makes sense!

Latest posts

Back