Pre pigment explanation please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemini_162

Reaction score
Ok I feel stupid asking this but I'm an apprentice in a salon here in Athens and I swear I know more about coloring than anyone I work with. Hairdressing here is archaic! We might as well just be apron-clad cavemen foiling with different shades of mud!
Anyway...can someone give me a run through of the whole pre-pigment concept? Lots of clients come in with this trashy, Greek, bleach- blonde and are nearly impossible to darken without serious fade. Nobody here seems to use pre-pigments so I have no one to ask. :(

Hi, basically if you think of the lightening process, for example you are taking a base 6 to a base 10, you are removing all the warm undertones, red, orange and yellow untill you get the required lift, so if you have to take a base 10 back down to a base 5, think what was removed in the lightening process? You removed red undertone so it needs to be put back into the hair before you apply your target shade 5, hope this helps, your basically putting back in what was removed during the lightening process, think of the lightening curve and all the warm undertones in each base colour x .

I personally use colour mousse, put it on the dry hair, blowdry in, then wash out as the red can show through too much if they want a flat base. Then dry again and apply the colour they want as normal, if going very dark, from a 10 to say 3 try using extra base.

Xoxo

Matrix colour sync!! Stops any need to prepig!! Choose your shade and apply! As long as it's not ash or neutral your fine! X

I personally use colour mousse, put it on the dry hair, blowdry in, then wash out as the red can show through too much if they want a flat base. Then dry again and apply the colour they want as normal, if going very dark, from a 10 to say 3 try using extra base.

Xoxo

Thats a very long process for just going light to dark, you should look at affinage Quickpig or try a brand like affinage or matrix which have colours you can use without needing to prepig, would save yourself a lot of time!

I haven't used matrix since I was a junior, but I had no idea about colours then, I'd just mix what I was told, will look into them again. I remember a client that had 7c ( think that's what copper was, it was 6 years ago) with a full small squirty tube of copper booster, but she always asked for it to be as orange as possible and loved it. Xoxo

I haven't used matrix since I was a junior, but I had no idea about colours then, I'd just mix what I was told, will look into them again. I remember a client that had 7c ( think that's what copper was, it was 6 years ago) with a full small squirty tube of copper booster, but she always asked for it to be as orange as possible and loved it. Xoxo

That would be umpa lumpa orange :) lol I love matrix to be honest!! x

It really was umpa lumpa orange, if. It brighter. I have I say it was quite an easy system with the colours being labeled as what the colour turned out as with the lettering. Probably a lot of new ranges out by them since I last used them xoxo

Latest posts

Back