prep...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lola67

Reaction score
Hello all, can you help me clear up some confusion i have going on. I am at college studying mani/pedi and nail enhancements. I've completed the mani/pedi part of the course and we were taught that to remove the cuticle, use cuticle remover and hoof stick and either knife or dual tool. When we started the enhancements part we have been told as part of the prep of the nail to remove the cuticle (makes sense) BUT on a dry nail plate. So not to use cuticle remover or soak the nail at all. This goes against everything that we were taught in the mani/pedi. I've read a few tutorials and some stuff in the books that I've got and they all say use cuticle remover. Which to me makes sense as it helps with the ease of removal and doesn't damage the nail plate. So now I'm a bit confused as I'm not sure which way is the right way and don't want to unleash myself on the world at the end of the course and damage everyones nails during the prep :o . Advice from you guys would be much appreciated, thank you.
Linds x

That sounds strange.

I use CND cuticle remover and use my cuticle pusher, wash it off, then remove shine and Scrubfresh.

hopefully this tutorial by GMG will help clarify things for you http://www.thenailgeek.com/showthread.php?t=3007
you remove the cuticle remover before you start applying the enhancements, but not by soaking them.
having a wet/damp nail plate isn't good for adhesion of the products and will encourage lifting.
hth
x

You should not soak natural nails before a full set or rebalance but you certainly should remove al traces of cuticle from the nail plate and you should use a cuticle remover and a sanitized metal tool to do it. Realy you are performing a mini manicure before enhancements ... just not the soaking.

you dont soak the cuticles prior to enhancements because the nail plate swells when its wet. so it wont be in its 'proper' state when you apply the enhancement. (thats what i think anyway!!! lol)

if you put a cuticle remover on could it affect the adhesion of the enhancement?

If the client has VERY bad cuticles then they could have a manicure a couple of days before where you can soak the cuticles, then just touch them up before the enhancements.

But to be honest once you become more experienced i find it isnt a problem to work on 'dry' cuticles.

Hopefully someone will be able to help you a little more than this.

xx

As a nail biter I have really out of control cuticles, they are really thick, grow really quick and I bit them all the time :smack:

If I try to push them back 'dry' they split, and because I have to push harder I tends to hurt more too :cry:

I use my CND Cuticle Remover - no problems with adhesion once it's removed properly

HTH

Trin
xx

Latest posts

Back