Press Alert! MMA/NSS

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs.Clooney

Positive Geek
Reaction score
I didn't know whether to post this thread in the other recent MMA/NSS threads but didn't want to be seen poaching anyone elses topic. Sorry if I am going about this the wrong way. I have been considering writing to our local newspaper about NSS salons in our area. I have myself seen evidence of the damage done by these places and felt that an article or letter in the local paper would help to highten awareness of these so called nail bars. Not sure how to go about it though as I obviously don't want to end up being sued for slander. Is this a good idea or am I trying to be gung ho here?

give them the FACTS, you can't be sued for slander by providing facts :)
make sure your 'evidence' is backed up with proof.
I admire you for wanting to make a stand... perhaps if more UK technicians did the same thing it would bring about more awareness not only to the general public but also the 'powers that be', it might encourage them to enforce some laws regarding safe practise etc.

hun i have a press cutting from a news paper article about mma that my tutor gave me, you are welcome to a photo copy of it (but woould have to be after i have moved as it is packed away) so it can give you some ideas

I think its an excellent Idea to Name and Shame when you have evidence. People should be protected but some people are not bothered as they are cheaper and faster. Its not until sometime later that they realise their mistake in using these salons. Maybe, eventually ALL (well maybe some) salons will start to provide the proper service and high standard using the correct products. Do they have to pass an inspection of products used and qualifications before they get the licence to work on people. Can anyone open a salon and use what they want.?
Sherry

kittenclaws said:
hun i have a press cutting from a news paper article about mma that my tutor gave me, you are welcome to a photo copy of it (but woould have to be after i have moved as it is packed away) so it can give you some ideas

I'll take you up on that Kittenclaws. Thanx. Definitely get moved and sorted as I'm am not planning on doing this just yet. Will need to do my homework first, so any ideas and tips and moral support would help.

I really do feel something needs to be done regarding these salons.Its certainly going to be a while before local councils or the goverment do something.I spoke briefly to my local council and they said these issues have to be taken on by trading standards and reported by the public!!???as if....

My area is rammed with these salons and it makes life harder for us nail techs that actually do give a s*** about our clients.Some of my clients didn't even realise you could have your nails done without a electric drill.All the salons i've seen round here are always busy...whaether they are all one off or regular clients i don't know.

I too have thought about getting my local press to do a litle article on nss and mma but i think its a bit risky....i don't want to be accussed of being raceist for one...let us all know what happens with your press thing because i think its time the public were more educated.

louisenewell said:
I
I too have thought about getting my local press to do a litle article on nss and mma but i think its a bit risky....i don't want to be accussed of being raceist for one...let us all know what happens with your press thing because i think its time the public were more educated.

As I said before, I'm a wee bit nervous because I don't want to end up in trouble with the law because I said something wrong. Perhaps we could put our heads together on this Louise. This is why I started this thread.

This subject has been covered so many times!! - It was even on watchdog !

The trouble with this, is that it scares the consumer even more!! Don't forget that they don't know half the things we do.

If we are going to talk about it, we must make sure that the consumer also knows what a GOOD salon is

Just because they use 'drills' (electric files) doesn't make them a nss salon. My salon uses electric files and we are definately not nss !!

The problem is that they use e-files with metal tips on the end (you can use sanding bands, which are just like nail files) the metal tip they use is usually of coarse grit and it never gets sanitised in between clients regardless of whether they cut anyone or not!

They use cheap acrylic products, which are much harder than a quality brand and is therefore much harder to file. It's virtually impossible to file by hand and that's why they use those files like that.

Lots of them don't even have training. Most of them are family run, once one of them can do it, they teach the rest of the family and they simply plonk the product on and file it into shape.

It's not racist, but most of the technicians in these so called 'nss' salons are Vietnamese. They will work for a lot less money than UK Technicians, because whatever they earn is a whole lot more than they would in Vietnam.

I think that some of them are reading what is being written and are taking it on board, but obviously some are not. It might just be lack of education on their part that they think this is normal practice.
Bear in mind that some of them can't even speak English !!

What we should be doing is to educate the consumer about the positive side of the nail industry instead of keep writing about the negative sides.

If you are doing well in your own business, keep up to date and you invest in your education, then you can use your knowledge and experience to educate every client that walks through your door.

I think this board has about 6,000 members. If we all educated just 10 clients each and they told 3 friends each, that's nearly quarter of a million people !!!

regards
Gina

Rather than naming and shaming which can bite you in the bum if you don't get your facts straight, you could approach them about what clients should expect from a salon which keeps talk of th industry in a positive light. Fab Freak started an excellent post quite some time ago and we all contributed to put a series of articles together to put to the press. i tried mine but they weren't interested.

This is the thread ... http://www.thenailgeek.com/main/9885-i-keep-finding-more-more-poor-standards.html?highlight=standards

Gina and Sassy, your posts have such a positive ring to them. I had a quick browse throught the link you suggested Sass and it really does all make sense. I tend to act on the spur of the moment without really stopping to think that there could be a softer, gentler approach to what I'm doing. This is something I am trying to correct and it does pay off, hence my initial question,"Am I trying to be gung ho?"
So perhaps what I could do is contact my local paper and see what I can do about getting an article in there about the positives of doing nails and what to look for in a reputable salon or with a good tech. If not an article then in the letters section. They may not like this as they have twice recently contacted me asking me to advertise and wanting my dosh and I politely declined :rolleyes: . Anyway, I will see what I can come up with and then will put it to the geeks for feedback. How does that sound?

You go girl! You could always try doing an advertorial which may bring you new business too. Good luck and I hope you get further than I did!

Sassy Hassy said:
You go girl! You could always try doing an advertorial which may bring you new business too. Good luck and I hope you get further than I did!

What is an advertorial? Excuse my ignorance.

No probs hun! It's a cross between an editorial and an advert. You get an article printed in the paper and can say pretty much whatever you like, but you get to mention your business too. It's usually a cheaper way of getting more space, but it's not laid out like an advert. Often you can negotiate a good deal to get a display ad put in as well, so double exposure.

A lot of freebie papers do this, you probably know the type, there would be an article about a company that looks like it has been written by the paper (often it has) and then a snazzy display ad next to it.

Katelisa said:
I was kust thinking we should all get our heads together and come up with a letter we can send to our local papers or something.

You could always resurrect that thread and add to it as there was some fab input and would be a shame to let it go to waste.

Im just puttin a few ideas together now.

Im crap at this sorta stuff though i never have to write letters to people!!

What can i put in a letter to the paper/mag to introduce my ideas?

i cant just say

"ey-ar mate print this. ta."

lol.

Latest posts

Back