Price Of Advertising????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicxzy

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
Just wondered if anyone advertises in their local rag?
Ive just put an ad in for the first time and it cost me £45 for one week! its only a local paper in our town and I could only afford a linage ad so its not even boxed it doesnt get any cheaper the more weeks you advertise either it seems and its only a few lines!
Does anyone know if this is an average price & if the general return on these ads is any good?
Anyone know of a cheaper way in Cheshire? Ive never had to advertise before and Im a bit lost.

Thankx x

Oh no!:Scared:

Luckily my dad did a leaflet campaign free for me on Saurday bless him he walked all round town giving out my advertising postcards to all the ladies he could find in shops, handed out about 100 but not had any calls yet, although it is only Monday!

Hiya ..xx

I advertise in our local directory (little booklet thing with loads of different services in) it just goes out once a month and costs about £70 for 3 months...i get loads from it and have just done another for the next village down. I also have my free one liner in yellow pages and this automatically puts you on yel.com...had a fair few from this too....great as its free. I think really people have to keep seeing it...i stopped for a while and the lines went very quiet...as soon as i re-did the ad the phone stared again...thing is i thought i would only have to do it once...and that people would save it...they dont...so now i am in it every month. HTH xx

NailStyle said:
Hiya ..xx

I advertise in our local directory (little booklet thing with loads of different services in) it just goes out once a month and costs about £70 for 3 months...i get loads from it and have just done another for the next village down. I also have my free one liner in yellow pages and this automatically puts you on yel.com...had a fair few from this too....great as its free. I think really people have to keep seeing it...i stopped for a while and the lines went very quiet...as soon as i re-did the ad the phone stared again...thing is i thought i would only have to do it once...and that people would save it...they dont...so now i am in it every month. HTH xx

Angie what is the directory called?I know its not in my area but just wondered if they are nationwide? I dont think we have anything like that around here!

well my village is called birstall so its called the birstall directory...we also have the birstall post but they are very expansive and is more like a mini newspaper...with articles and letters and stuff...the directory is purely ads for businesses. xxx

Just had a look and I cant find anything!
Its rubbish around here so quiet
Id probably get more response if I strapped a sandwich board to one of the cows!
I did send yell my ad about 3 weeks ago and not heard anything yet still not listed so just done it again!

vicxzy said:
Just had a look and I cant find anything!
Its rubbish around here so quiet
Id probably get more response if I strapped a sandwich board to one of the cows!
I did send yell my ad about 3 weeks ago and not heard anything yet still not listed so just done it again!

i advertise in my local rag, i got it down to 50 a week rather than 65 because i had it for at least 4 weeks. Also, i offered the rep a freebie when i spoke to her (just out of the kindness of my heart... yea right!) and my advert came out twice as big as what i ordered. i throw a few bath fizzies/lotions her way once in a while to keep her sweet.

Just getting my ad together for yellow pages next year, its 500 (with a 30% newcomer discount) for a whole year and i've been told by other techs its their best forum for advertising. got a space on yell.com for £17 which brings me the same amount of work as the local rag.

I thinking about ditching the local rag advert after christmas as 50 quid a week plus VAT is steep and because i do this part time i'm not really making money back on it, but i want my name in it until after xmas. i've had a few local publications phone me up (like the one nailstyle uses) and i can put one in there for £17 a month, which i have done for the first time this month. had two calls on it in the first week, one was an enquiry and the other didn't turn up for the appt. (its the competition, i bet!)

You may find that the local publications phone you up, because they scan local rags to find new businesses and then try and poach their advertising. if not, ask around if anyone has one come through the door. one my clients gave me one for her area.

Thanks for that,
I have contacted both our local papers to ask if they would like a free treatment as I know they give editorial to beauty salons quite often I asked the first one about 2 weeks ago and not heard anything back!(ironically they are the swines who have just happily taken the money off me to advertise with them!)
Anyone else managed to get editorial and if so how did you do it?

Hi - I advertised in our local papers several times when I started out and got absolutely zilch from it whether it was a one off or if i ran the ad for several weeks. I agree with the others that Yellow/Yell.com is the best form of advertising, in my opinion people tend to think of you as a more bona fide company/business if you#re in the Yellow Pages.

I phoned my local 'freebie' paper as they do a woman's page once a month.

They wanted £65 +vat for an advert about an eighth of a page but I had to do it for three months....then I would be guaranteed an editorial. I just don't have a spare £230 at the moment. Looks like I'm gonna be getting lots of excercise doing a leaflet drop!!!

Scenario: You're a nail technician living in 'Oddsville', a small town near Manchester. You run a small business called 'Stacey's Nails'. You offer all the usual services, eg, Manicures, Pedicures, Enhancements: both Gel and Acrylic, Nailart, Waxing, etc etc. You know of course that you need to do some advertising in order for your business to succeed.

Imagine splashing out an initial outlay of just £50 for advertising for a whole year, your ad is available for all to see 24 hours a day, 7 days a week including weekends and holidays. Your ad is NOT just a single line, it's several pages long showing exactly what kind of work you are capable of, it also hosts photographs of your place of work, showing it to be warm, pleasant and professional looking. In addition to this, you get to boast about your training, your awards, your press cuttings, etc. You get to list your phone number and your email address. If in a weeks time, you dont like your 'ad', you can simply change it around to whatever you DO like 'cos you're in charge of your 'ad'. Imagine prospective customers just having to type into the search engines some simple phrases to find you.

Imagine... if you can..... that all a prospective customer has to type into a search engine is "nail extensions oddsville" or "gel nails oddsville" or "acrylic nail enhancements manchester" or maybe "waxing in oddsville". Imagine if what came up on page 1 of the search results to all these queries was "Staceys Nails".

Imagine if this was true!!!!! It is true..... ok, 'Staceys Nails' is ficticious or at least I think it is. The point is that all of the above is readily available right now if you have your own website and optimise it properly. No Gimmicks, no tricks! £50 down, a little work to help the search engines and then sit back and watch the clients come.

Latest posts

Back