Problem skin around eyes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KittySG

Reaction score
Hi geeks (sorry in advance this is a long post), I'm very new to beauty and generally hide over on the nail forum. But I'm looking to start training in the wider world of beauty soon and decided I had probably start looking after my own skin more before I can learn to recommend things to others.... Which is what brings me here.
I'm hoping to pick the skin geek collective brain as it were, to get some advice.
This is me, well my eye anyway ;) ...
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1397809481.099959.jpg
This is no make up, very close up, and in harsh light. I know it's scary lol, but please be kind.

Basically the advice I'm looking for is this....
I've always had problem dark circles and since I've been working shifts (for about 3-4 years) they've only been getting darker! I've also developed a lot of those lumps and bumps under both eyes. I don't generally wear foundation as it tends to bring me out in spots over my t-zone.
I've tried a million and one different eye products, cleansers, moisturisers, peels etc.
I've also tried going all natural and washing my face with water alone but nothing seems to improve them.
Does anyone have any ideas on how these can be treated or at least well concealed?

Hi geeks (sorry in advance this is a long post), I'm very new to beauty and generally hide over on the nail forum. But I'm looking to start training in the wider world of beauty soon and decided I had probably start looking after my own skin more before I can learn to recommend things to others.... Which is what brings me here.
I'm hoping to pick the skin geek collective brain as it were, to get some advice.
View attachment 62390
This is no make up, very close up, and in harsh light. I know it's scary lol, but please be kind.

I've always had problem dark circles and since I've been working shifts (for about 3-4 years) they've only been getting darker! I've also developed a lot of those lumps and bumps under both eyes. I don't generally wear foundation as it tends to bring me out in spots over my t-zone.
I've tried a million and one different eye products, cleansers, moisturisers, peels etc.
I've also tried going all natural and washing my face with water alone but nothing seems to improve them.
Does anyone have any ideas on how these can be treated or at least well concealed?

This looks like syringoma along with genetic hyperpigmentation. My advice is to visit a medical aesthetics professional, or to seek referral to a dermatologist. There are several treatment options. Depending on where you are based I may be able to suggest some. Victoria x

Last edited:
View attachment 62390

The dark circles around your eyes may be hereditary in that case very few products are going to assist in reducing the darkness, you can often tell they are hereditary when the darkness is seen on and around the upper eyelids. Plenty of water, healthy diet, good professional eye cream, sleep and some concealer. Get yourself a professional and natural makeup range as an example Jane iredale, free from bismuth oxychloride which is an irritant to the skin and make up with too many fillers and additives will clog the pores also. The lumps if they are hard and white probably are milia, they can be extracted by a professional, they are harmless, for overall wellbeing of the skin look into professional skin supplements (not from a health food shop) and don't forget a professional skincare range.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
The dark circles around your eyes may be hereditary in that case very few products are going to assist in reducing the darkness, you can often tell they are hereditary when the darkness is seen on and around the upper eyelids. Plenty of water, healthy diet, good professional eye cream, sleep and some concealer. Get yourself a professional and natural makeup range as an example Jane iredale, free from bismuth oxychloride which is an irritant to the skin and make up with too many fillers and additives will clog the pores also. The lumps if they are hard and white probably are milia, they can be extracted by a professional, they are harmless, for overall wellbeing of the skin look into professional skin supplements (not from a health food shop) and don't forget a professional skincare range.

This is unlikely to be milia, it may be but it is difficult to make that call from a photo. I would reiterate that a medical diagnosis would be the best course of action. I see lots of posts here with milia being given as answer. There are several skin conditions that present in this way or similar. With an excess of melanin to the area attempting extraction would be very ill advised.

I agree that creams are unlikely to help.Hereditary hyperpigmentation is a build up of excess melanin as opposed to darkness caused by broken capillaries and poor drainage. More sleep, water etc generally does not treat this although may help slightly if the darkness is a combination of causes. Professional treatment really should be advised, those with hereditary darkening are also usually predisposed generally to hyperpigmentation including post inflammatory so this is why extraction would be ill advised. There are creams to help excess pigment of the eye but they are generally prescription only. Retinols will usually help.

I agree with the advice on using a natural make up range such as Jane Iredale

Wow thank you very much ladies, I hadn't expected such brilliant, detailed (and reasoned) responses. I'm in awe of the medical-ish sciencey bit of beauty :)

I've herd of milia, I'm not sure that's what it is. It sounds silly but after looking them up to find out more, all the information I found seem to suggest that they are flat and not raised like mine are. I find they look more pronounced on days when my eyes are puffy (usually after a 12hr night shift - woe is me haha).

Syringoma I have never heard of, so off to research and learn some more again I go.

I live in South Wales.... My GP isn't backwards in coming forwards about not approving of referrals on cosmetic grounds, but I will consider popping down there after I've had a little go with the other advice. :)

Wow thank you very much ladies, I hadn't expected such brilliant, detailed (and reasoned) responses. I'm in awe of the medical-ish sciencey bit of beauty :)

I've herd of milia, I'm not sure that's what it is. It sounds silly but after looking them up to find out more, all the information I found seem to suggest that they are flat and not raised like mine are. I find they look more pronounced on days when my eyes are puffy (usually after a 12hr night shift - woe is me haha).

Syringoma I have never heard of, so off to research and learn some more again I go.

I live in South Wales.... My GP isn't backwards in coming forwards about not approving of referrals on cosmetic grounds, but I will consider popping down there after I've had a little go with the other advice. :)

If your GP isn't too helpful then take yourself to a medical aesthetic clinic and see a Dr who does treatment such as peels, laser injectables etcc... They might offer free consultation or even if not it's worth to get their opinion.

There's several things it might be, it looks to me from your photo as if it may possibly be syringoma, small benign growths. But as I said in previous posts there are a couple of skin issues that can look this way.

Milia are an excess of keratin, it might be this, again difficult just from a photo.

Whatever it is I wouldn't try treating yourself.

I hope you sort it out, I also suffer with my eyes, genetic but look worse when am tired or dehydrated because then it is a combination of excess melanin and bruising effect. Those 12 hour shifts sound tough!

Victoria x

I get this when I'm tired, my dad gets it too! But I also have freckles round my left eye they have kind of blended together over the years now it's like one so it's even darker lol! Xx

How come all of virtues write ups are just seen as ... On my app?
Is this a silly question. Sorry to ask something un related to the topic.

Oh I also was told by a health expert come nut case that take a course of milk thistle for a week would help. I thought it was biggest load no sence untill I tried it myself and it worked but not sure about the bumps I would say first thing to see a dermatologist rather then a gp.

Beauty at your finger tips!

How come all of virtues write ups are just seen as ... On my app?
Is this a silly question. Sorry to ask something un related to the topic.

Oh I also was told by a health expert come nut case that take a course of milk thistle for a week would help. I thought it was biggest load no sence untill I tried it myself and it worked but not sure about the bumps I would say first thing to see a dermatologist rather then a gp.

Milk thistle for what exactly? For the darkness around the eyes?

I can only see just dots in virtues last post too, but the frat ones are fine :/

Milk thistle sounds interesting, odd what herbs can get to helping with.

Yes he said it helps de Tox your liver and that should be used once a day with lots of water and the darkness or bags (not talking about pigmentation or hereditary dark eyes) can help. And it did help me.

I have been the same problem and your eyes look like mine. LMy bumps are milia and I have mine removed regularly with and electronic method. Using concealer etc only makes mine worse unfortunately :(

Sent from my GT-I9305 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yes he said it helps de Tox your liver and that should be used once a day with lots of water and the darkness or bags (not talking about pigmentation or hereditary dark eyes) can help. And it did help me.

It could just have been the lots of water though. :wink2:

I take it for indigestion, works a treat! I did think that you have to be careful not to take to much though.

I can only see just dots in virtues last post too, but the frat ones are fine :/

Milk thistle sounds interesting, odd what herbs can get to helping with.

I think it is a deleted post rather than an issue with seeing it or dots as an answer.

Sorry guys it was a post that I removed but as on my mobile it doesn't allow me to delete so I had to leave the dots to get out of the programme.

Oom thanks I wondered about the .... Lol.
Yes this was a doctor who advised me on the milk thistle for only once off 2 weeks or 10 days. Most ppl have such poor diets and need a good de tox but your absolutely right it is water one the most important things for your health and skin.
Anyhow we getting off the topic so I hope that the geek in question is going to the dermatologist I wouldn't personally muck around with regards to my skin.

Hi try dermalogica daily microfoliant, a rice bran exfoliant you can use over the eyes and will help with any pigmentation
Worth a try and look at lymphatic drainage massage that can help also
Michelle

Thank you for all the advice guys, it's been very interesting to see the different opinions.

I will definitely visit my GP, I'll need to do this to get a dermatologist referral on the NHS. But it'll take me some time to arrange as I'm working crazy shifts the next few weeks, but as soon as I get the time I'll book an appointment.

In the mean time, I've discovered an illuminating highlighter that blends quite nicely with my skin tone and hides the circles a little if I only apply it there :)
I don't really want to do that long term (especially since I work in a pharmaceutical manufacturing factory and we aren't allowed to wear any make up at all), but at least I have a temporary help for nights out and days when I have clients :)

Latest posts

Back