Problem With Gel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brady

Reaction score
Hiya hope you all had a lovely crimbo i have been using gel for 2 yrs now but i have recently been experancing some problems.
When i did my nail course we were told to take a bead of gel pace it on the strees point of the nail and feather it down to the cuticle and then to the free edge working it out to the sides so you build up your strees area.
But lately i have got 3new clients that like there nails very long (so i have built up the stress area for more strength but i have found that when innfill are required under the lamp at the thickest point on the stress area the product is lifting and only there? i have cured the nails for a further 2mins but still same prob

would you advised to do layers of gel gently building up the gel but this is quite time consuming!

does anybody have any tips please.

Have a happy new year

thankx

Hi Brady I always do a thin layer over the whole enhancement first then I do the builder layer.

All products go through a certain amount of shrinkage when they cure, and unfortunately gels shrink more than the other two systems. This can be exacerbated by the thickness of the product when you apply it, and what you are experiencing is a pocket lift caused by the shrinkage in this area. You would be better to apply it in 2 thin layers so that the products fully cures and reduces the amount of shrinkage. HTH x

Hi

What gel are you using?

The reason I ask is because I build up my stress area .... cure for 15 seconds and then apply the next coat. I never wait the full duration for each coat as it isn't necessary with the gels I use. I use Akzentz, NSI and Amore, if your gel system allows you to do this - you should save lots of time.

Vicky :biggrin:

VickyB said:
Hi

What gel are you using?

The reason I ask is because I build up my stress area .... cure for 15 seconds and then apply the next coat. I never wait the full duration for each coat as it isn't necessary with the gels I use. I use Akzentz, NSI and Amore, if your gel system allows you to do this - you should save lots of time.

Vicky :biggrin:

Hi Vicky,
I am a Brisa user and I have wondered about doing this this esp. when I apply the gel to the tip (usually white) then 2 min cure, I then apply the clear layer on the nail bed smoothing over the tip slightly I did wonder if I could do a freeze cure on the white then apply the clear and cure for 2 minutes? Might give it a go but I was worried the white wouldnt cure properly and lead to problems.
Anyone else use this method with Gels?
KxXx

Karol, I do my thin bonding layer, freeze cure x2, apply white & freeze cure. Then apply builder layer - 4 fingers & freeze cure and then thumb and full cure whole hand. HTH

Thanks Sass - I feel like this is a huge revelation to me! I wish I had asked before now!
I have got my times down to 1 hr 40 minutes but seem to be wasting time waiting for hand to come out of the lamp. I use 2 lamps to help speed things a bit and make it more comfortable for the client, so work back and forth between the 2. At the moment I do
Bonder 4 fingers - 2 mins cure
Bonder Thumb - 2 mins cure
White 2 fingers - freeze cure
White 2 fingers - 2 mins cure on all 4
White - Thumb 2 mins cure
Builder 2 fingers - freeze cure
Builder 2 fingers - 2 mins cure on all 4
Builder - Thumb - 2 mins cure
Bloomin ages - when I didnt need to
KxXx

Just make sure they have their thumb as flat as possible when it is the lamp and then no need to cure seperately! That's probably saved you about 10 minutes already. I just lock cure the four fingers first so that when I apply on the thumb at the end the gel won;t run on the fingers.

When I apply the white i tned to lock cure each one fore about 5 seconds ( basically as long as it takes to get my next lot of gel on my brush) as this helps to keep the smiles crisp. And if the builder gel is working quite runny then again I do a lock cure after applying 2 fingers at a time, but quite often I just apply to all four, especially at infills as so little gel is needed and is not likely to flood.

nemotail said:
Hi Vicky,
I am a Brisa user and I have wondered about doing this this esp. when I apply the gel to the tip (usually white) then 2 min cure, I then apply the clear layer on the nail bed smoothing over the tip slightly I did wonder if I could do a freeze cure on the white then apply the clear and cure for 2 minutes? Might give it a go but I was worried the white wouldnt cure properly and lead to problems.
Anyone else use this method with Gels?
KxXx

Hi

So sorry about this ... I wasn't clear at all now I've read the post back. You are quite right! I should have specified that I use this method for the builder, natural, one step etc. gels but NOT the white ... you would have major problems if you didn't fully cure the white .... oopppps :irked:

Latest posts

Back