Questions for IBD users

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bimbogeri

Reaction score
Hey everyone... following on from my last post about needing help with gels, I've got a few questions about IBD. I used it right back when I trained with Graftons but I'd kinda forgotten about it :o . I assumed you couldn't sculpt with it, as they didn't do a separate sculpting gel, but having read a few recent threads and re-read my IBD info I realise that you can. IBD could be a good option for me: I've used it before, my Grafton's trainer is local, and I can also purchase it locally at Capital rather than having to mail-order if I need it in a hurry. So I just have a few Q's, if I may....

IBD sell two types of forms and the tutorials on their site show them using the silver and blue ones, but presumably it would be better to use their clear forms? Alternatively, where can I get the Acra-C clear reusable forms in the UK? Seen them on Supply Source and thought I'd seen them in the UK but can't find them anywhere now...

Are the French Extreme and normal builder gels used together or should you keep the two collections separate? In which case, which collection is better for colour and colourfastness?

Has anyone tried the pink and beige Ultra Seals? Do they make any real difference to the finish? For example, might the beige soften the look slightly and maybe have slight 'coverage' properties?

Is the UV cured topcoat suitable for gel-sealing polish (is it acetone resistant?) or is the new Intense Seal better for this?

If I use the natural builder gel for sculpting a natural look tip, do people prefer white or ultra white for a french tip?

Should I use the normal clear gel for a natural nail overlay or can I use the builder gels?

Sorry for the long post and lots of Qs! Other than those specific questions would like some feedback on generally how you like it if poss :)
Thanks! xxx

Hi,
Recently posted a similar thread with no replies so far so I'll be really interested in this.
Graftons do sell the clear forms.
Not 100% sure but I think you can use the xtreme with normal builder gels. They recommend the clear forms when using xtreme.

Been trying to get hold of the beige and pink ultra seal myself, if you find somewhere selling it in the UK, let me know! Graftons dont have it on thier price list.

The regular UV topcoat comes off with NVR. Havent tried Intense seal yet, is that a buff off sealer then?

I couldnt get hold of the natural builder gel so I've been using white. To be honest its fairly natural looking so I think it would have to be ultra white,xtreme white or winter white polish for a french look. The xtreme white is the best for a crisp smile line but it has to be applied very thin and maybe even twice - takes a while!

I quite often use a builder gel sparingly for a nno especially if the edges of the nat nail have a habit of curling away.
HTH

Graftons have confirmed they do sell the natural builder, they're sending my updated order forms in the post... But if it is fairly natural then I could use the normal white and then the Xtreme white for a bolder look. Also Ellisons sell the beige ultraseal but not the pink, so I assume Graftons must import it.

Loo (I think) posted a thread some time ago about the Intense Seal and several geeks said they used it over polish. I guess it is a buff-off sealer like the Ultra Seal but is suitable for use over polish too. To be honest I can't find a difference in the product descriptions when I have looked, but other geeks have said they've used Intense Seal over polish.

Been trying to get hold of the beige and pink ultra seal myself, if you find somewhere selling it in the UK, let me know! Graftons dont have it on thier price list.

The regular UV topcoat comes off with NVR. Havent tried Intense seal yet, is that a buff off sealer then?

I couldnt get hold of the natural builder gel so I've been using white. To be honest its fairly natural looking so I think it would have to be ultra white,xtreme white or winter white polish for a french look. The xtreme white is the best for a crisp smile line but it has to be applied very thin and maybe even twice - takes a while!

IHTH[/QUOTE]

Hi,

You are suppose to use the blush or pink builder from the extreme range with the white in the same range. I haven't tried extreme white with the normal pink builder so I can't comment.

I purchased some natural builder gel from the IBD stand at Excel. I haven't had time to play with it yet, but you can order it direct from Grafton as I saw it on their order form.

I have a bottle of pink Ultraseal (brand new). If you're interested, send us a pm.

I've sent you a pm.
Thanks! xxx[/QUOTE]

hi there the intense seal is great i love it it makes the finish look great and is so easy.

As for the builder gel on nat nails no i would just use 2 coats of clear gel.

As far as i am aware graftons no longer sell the different colour ultra seals and now only do the clear one but the coloured ones are always on ebay on the american site.

Hi

I use IBD gel and You can get the Pink Ultra Seal for £11.95 from www.Nailtechdirect.co.uk - I`m sure I`ve seen the beige on a different website somewhere - I`ll have a rumage through my favorites and let you know if i come across it again.

I`ve found them at NailTechDirect to be really helpful - will even source something for you if you can`t find it.

I originally did NVQ using star nails (I think?) then didnt do much for 8 years then retrained with IBD and I personally find their gel so much better!
Im a terrible breaker and usually have my nails off in a day or so but I now use the builder gel in the strong variety its a bit more expensive I think but definately worth every penny I can go 3 weeks between infills now as they dont break so saves me a lot of time and money.
Im sure Ive seen the ultra seal u r after in Aston & Fincher.

Hi there

I am a ibd user have been for the past 3 years

i have only just recently started using the extreme gels........
i brought them from capital the other day to try
i brought the clear an the white extreme gels........
and used them for a natural nail overlay.......... wanted to double check the curing times as hadnt used them before........... an i spoke to a technician there at graftons .............. if ever you guys are stuck with anything with the products the technicians are always at the end of the phone to advise an help you i ring them all the time if im stuck with a product.

i used to use the winter white but i found this extrem white alot better
an had great results. ive also used it to sculpt a tip on my thumb nail
its still on after 3 weeks hasnt budged i think these extreme gels are alot stronger.

i dont use ultra seal very much........when did my training we were advised to use it if you wanted to reshape the nail again an then seal it to finish.
i know it can be used over nail art but im not a great fan of it myself
an found sometimes if i did any flicks or anything like that when applying the ultra seal the white flicks id done had shiverled up like paint striper??
have any of you had this happen

plus if the clients do get fed up of design they cant take it off
as it has to be buffed off
as for the other colours ive never seen them only ever used clear.

out of the pink builder gel and the clear i always use the pink
as i find that the clear gel seems to collect bubbles.

haylznailz said:
Hi there

I am a ibd user have been for the past 3 years

i have only just recently started using the extreme gels........
i brought them from capital the other day to try
i brought the clear an the white extreme gels........
and used them for a natural nail overlay.......... wanted to double check the curing times as hadnt used them before........... an i spoke to a technician there at graftons .............. if ever you guys are stuck with anything with the products the technicians are always at the end of the phone to advise an help you i ring them all the time if im stuck with a product.

i used to use the winter white but i found this extrem white alot better
an had great results. ive also used it to sculpt a tip on my thumb nail
its still on after 3 weeks hasnt budged i think these extreme gels are alot stronger.

i dont use ultra seal very much........when did my training we were advised to use it if you wanted to reshape the nail again an then seal it to finish.
i know it can be used over nail art but im not a great fan of it myself
an found sometimes if i did any flicks or anything like that when applying the ultra seal the white flicks id done had shiverled up like paint striper??
have any of you had this happen

plus if the clients do get fed up of design they cant take it off
as it has to be buffed off
as for the other colours ive never seen them only ever used clear.

out of the pink builder gel and the clear i always use the pink
as i find that the clear gel seems to collect bubbles.

Hi hun,

I have to say i too have been using the IBD winter white gel polish and just recently decided to try the french extreme white and yes i think its fab too! Much better results as you say. I find it doesnt start moving around before you have had chance to cure it! It stays in place and seems to be nice and strong!
I havent tried scuplting with it yet but i must have a go!
Oh and the answer to your question about the string of gel down the middle: yes sometimes i do depending on if the nail needs more of a arch. But dont you find if the gels too warm then its too runny and the string down the middle just makes a mess down the sides!!

Hi there, I have just done my first set of sculpts using ibd. I used the clear ibd forms, the ultra white builder gel with the pink builder gel. I did, in training use the blue/silver thicker forms too, but I found it took longer to cure using these forms rather than the clear. It took me 3 hours, that included a soak off too. How long should it take approx to do, including soak off. Have taken some pics, so when I have figured how to load onto the site I will post them. I got my gels from Ellisons Mail order, and the clear forms from Ebay. Think they call themselves nailtech direct. The service was great as they were delivered the next day...xx

Oh also, I just cannot seem to get on with ultra seal, it goes pitted, I know this is probably my fault as fairly new to ibd gels, but, I have purchased the intense seal, its is BRILLIANT!! after curing, you do not have to wipe off..Just cure and go, and it gives a fantastic shine...so much better than ultra sea...xx

i use IBD and also had the same trouble with the ultra seal as well as it going pitted - after useing the cleanser plus it was streaky and dull - I was told its because a) your not applying it thick enough or b) your applying it too thick!!!.

I never did work out the correct thickness and got fed up of buffing it off and starting again so I also use the INTENSE SEAL now.

I emailed Sam at Graftons, she told me the same, applying too thick or too thin, my tutor at college also told me she had the same problems, so its good to hear it wasnt just me..thank god for intense seal is what I say. fantastic product, tried it over l & p and fibreglass, and had no problems at all...:p

I have never tried that intense seal

they dont stock it in the warehouses i go to

and if you order through grafton i think you have to order so much

do you know a site i can order it off ?

I got mine from Nailtech direct on ebay or I know Ellisons have it in their mail order catalogue. Its priced about £14.00 x

Latest posts

Back