Questions for potential beauty spa please...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LADY STARDUST

Reaction score
Hi,

My business partner and I are in a position to view a potential beauty/spa business within a hotel and have been invited to have a look around to discuss the options.
It sounds like a great opportunity and so we want to give off the right impression (if poss!)
I just wanted some advice as to what sort of questions to ask the hotel manager please? We've been through the obvious like how many guests come through the doors each month to use of products etc and basically just want to know if there are any 'blindingly obvious' questions we ought to ask and what information we ought to volunteer about ourselves?:confused:
All help appreciated, thanks...:)

Hi,
I opened up my own spa retreat last August,almost one year old :lol:
Do take into consideration how bloody hard it is and how hard you will have to work,
I also have a business partner we work everyday side by side I'm sure shes sick of me but never complains.
Although I love my job Im a therapist and get great satisfaction from it at times Im so tired I think I'm gona die, difference is we bought our own property so we have to make it work to pay the mortage.
Im just wondering why they arent opening their own spa why do they want you to come in and do it for them also what would stop them after a year or so if they see you doing really well stopping your lease and taking it over please be careful and remember it seems like your doing them a favour not the other way around.
Oh good luck

Hi,
what would stop them after a year or so if they see you doing really well stopping your lease and taking it over please be careful and remember it seems like your doing them a favour not the other way around.
Oh good luck

God, i didn't really think of that at all!!!:eek:
They have a spa up and running at the mo but they have no-one running it, they just get people in from an agency whenever they get bookings. If we took it over it would mean completely refreshing the whole business. There's obviosly a lot to think about before agreeing to anything let alone wondering about the hours it'll take...
Thanks for the reply, it's certainly given me food for thought...xXx

would they be paying for the revamp or you?
Also about product I checked out about 40 different products before I opened I settled on Sothys and love love it but do make sure you have all agreements in writing from your supplier because mine promised me a full page spread in Image mag and guess what no joy .
They promise Sun moon and stars and well:rolleyes:
But at the end of the day you just keep plugging away whatever it takes.
I think you shoukd also think of buying a place property is at an all time low Im out in the country and I feel thats y we're so busy check out our web site www.enchantedspaandretreat.com I dont know how to send you my e-mail so that I could help you out if I could but I'll try here to send you a private mail maybe you can just post it here.
All the help you can get now is invaluable.
Have to dash big group of hens in today.
Also yesterday I was approached by a guy wanting to know if our hens would like helicopter rides as part of their hen package what fun that would be.
Whats you name going to be ?

Research the market thoroughly! Look at the level of hotel (star rating, average cost per night to stay, what is the average resident spend on a stay) and compare this to other hotel spa's of a similar level.

What type of people stay at the hotel? What do people visit the hotel / area for? What is the percentage of male and female guests. This is really important to understand to ensure there is a big enough market for you there, and that you tailour the treatments appropriatly. We recently stayed at Gleneagles and visited the Espa spa (their UK flagship) there. Talking to the therapists they have very few male clients - British men do not do Spa's as a rule. What is the percentage of nationalities that stay, different countries have different attitudes to Spa's, treatments and products. Understanding as much about your potential market who will be very easy to market to will really help you build the client base.

Examine the space thoroughly, take pictures and measurements of all the spaces and rooms! Are the treatment rooms big enough - are their enough? Is there a relaxation area away from reception, are the boys and girls changing rooms big enough? Do the changing rooms have enough space in them for enough hair dryers for the girls to use? How do other spa's in the treatment price range layouts compare to this one?

Does the Spa have heat treatments? Sauna, Steam Room, Vitality Pool etc - look at the upkeep of these and running costs.

What product ranges would be suitable for your guests? And this is a really really important one to get right! And this is very dependent on the type of guests you will be looking at targetting - are you looking at a good reliable skincare brand, something that has name appeal like Dermalogica or are you looking at something really top of the market like Espa (my personal favourite)?

When looking at the product range to use you also have to think about the clients, a lot of whom won't be regular customers - its a hotel so by its very nature a high turn over of potential clients. Would they want to buy something like Dermalogica from you when they know they can get that on their local high street? Or would they want to spend the money on a product that isn't as available like Espa for that exclusive feel?

You say the Spa is part of the hotel, you have to be very clear about boundaries of responsibility on this. How much investment will they make into the area / services ... is maintenance of fixtures and fittings included in your rental agreement? Is maintenance of the showers / hot water / electrics? How about cleaners, will the hotel cleaners do that? What about your laundry costs ... do you need to arrange your own or will you be able to use the hotels and at what cost? What about heating and electricity - how is that paid for?

Are any employees of the Spa employees of you or the hotel? There needs to be clear understandings on responsibility for staff, but also complaints and enquiries. If the hotel switchboard takes a spa enquiry who do they pass that onto, what happens if they're is no one available?

Also discuss marketing the Spa - are you able to use the hotels name / branding? Will the hotel put a leaflet / flyer in each room as part of the day housekeeping standard routine? Will the hotel feature the Spa in their marketing materials with a "see the website ..." etc.

Discuss insurance requirements, will the hotels liability insurance cover you or should you have your own? Don't forget employee liability if the staff are employees of yours. What about fire regulations and health & safety? Responsibility for these kind of things needs to be agreed and be part of the rental contract.

Also don't forget when things are progressing and you are negotiating contract terms to ensure all of these points are covered in the contract. Make sure you get a good lawyer or legal representation (Federation of Small Businesses membership can be an excellent value for money way of getting this).

When I stay in a hotel and use their Spa I always expect to have any treatment / product costs added to my room bill. How will this work for you? What are their procedures against a customer who's card is declined for payment upon checkout - how will this affect you?

Hope this doesn't sound too negative, but its the details and covering yourself now that will really pay off if the venture goes ahead!

I love hotel Spa's, I've visited some very average ones and some of the best in the country and if the hotel is busy enough with the right type of guests, and you design and manage the Spa and the treatments well enough it can be a great business to be in!

Good luck! Please if you have any questions about any of this just give me a shout, more then happy to help out anyway I can.

Mat

Well, how did you get on at ur meeting???
was thinking about it all weekend!:lol:

:eek:Wow!!!

Thank you both so much for some really helpful points to consider.
As far as i'm aware we will pretty much have the say in everything that happens there if we decide to go with it. We are having the meeting this coming wednesday and so we will know a lot more then. I have been preparing some research notes and am now fully armed with questions to hammer at them when we get there.
Thanks again for all the helpful advice there was far more there than either of us had anticipated, and I will take you up on your offer of more help if needs be. It's really appreciated, thanks, will let you know how we got on on wednesday...:)

Hi Lady star dust,
Im new to this and I feel like I'm stalking you lol.
How did you get on yesterday.
I was thinking about you all week its a very exciting thime for you ,isnt life great when you get these opportunites.
I feel that you should think long and hard about your product dermoloica really isnt my thing I use Sothys at my spa and I love love love it any how I'll check in later to see what the crack is.

Latest posts

Back