Rebalance - where did I go wrong?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zuise.e

Reaction score
I did my first rebalance today (since learning on my model) The ladie's nails have been on for 10 days and with at least 3mm growth so the smile line was completely out....I couldn't believe how much they had grown and there was only a lttle lifting on a few. So I took down zone 1 quite a bit and abit of zone 2 where i was going to put new smile line, then I tried to make zone 3 flush with nail. This took me an hour and a half - I re applied the l & p - trying to use very little ( having realised the more I put on, the more i have to file off!)
Seemed ok up to here - then on finishing, the new smile line was transparent and you could still see the original line of the previous smileline, plus where i had filed zone 3 .......... I was gutted they looked so crap and discoloured - like i'd just gone over the original . The whole thing took 3 hours. luckily she wasn't in a rush. So I removed them completely and did a whole new set - which luckily turned out nice (so i know i'm improving)
But where did I go wrong? I also nicked her bloomin finger when filing zone 3.
I don't know whether they were too thick to begin with and I didn't file enough off even though it took so long or what? any advice would be appreciated.

Don't get disheartened Suzie. Do a search on rebalancing and you'll find the answers to a lot of your questions. In particular, read this fab tutorial which will really open your eyes File control!! Part 4 – During the Rebalance

If you are new to the industry, I would recommend Geeg's book, NailClass, which you can purchase from Geekmart - excellent!

Ok, you poor thing.

I am presuming you were doing pink and white, yes. It is possible that as you said you tried to put very little product on, that when you filed the white, you filed through it - possible?

I dont understand the bit about zone 3 looking crap and discoloured.

Is it possible that there was more lifting that you realised and when you put the new product on, there was a slight greying appearance. Is this what you meant?

Stop beating yourself up.

Urban Geek said:
Don't get disheartened Suzie. Do a search on rebalancing and you'll find the answers to a lot of your questions. In particular, read this fab tutorial which will really open your eyes File control!! Part 4 – During the Rebalance

If you are new to the industry, I would recommend Geeg's book, NailClass, which you can purchase from Geekmart - excellent!

thanks i'll look at the tutorial sorry should have done that first)
I've got the Nailclass book, which inspired me to apply the product more thinly - maybe I overdid it and will read file control again. I kept telling myself - don't let this put you off - but the feeling of failure was awful. It's not really feasible to practice rebalance on the nail trainer.

naturalnails said:
Ok, you poor thing.

I am presuming you were doing pink and white, yes. It is possible that as you said you tried to put very little product on, that when you filed the white, you filed through it - possible?

I dont understand the bit about zone 3 looking crap and discoloured.

Is it possible that there was more lifting that you realised and when you put the new product on, there was a slight greying appearance. Is this what you meant?

Stop beating yourself up.

yes that's exactly how it looked! does this mean there was more lifting?

OMG poor you but well done for keeping at it!!!

If I had to do all that with taking them off and putting another set on you would be talking 6 hours work!!!!!

Good for you I am sure you will get there in the end it is such early days for you.

:hug:

Caz xxx

caz3 said:
OMG poor you but well done for keeping at it!!!

If I had to do all that with taking them off and putting another set on you would be talking 6 hours work!!!!!

Good for you I am sure you will get there in the end it is such early days for you.

:hug:

Caz xxx

Well after soaking them off, the new set took me 2 hours and 15 mins - which has got to be my quickest time yet (usually at least 3 hours)- so at least something came good of it. She would have went with the dodgy rebalance, but I said no way are you leaving my house looking like that. She came at 9.30am and left at 4pm! it's times like this when you need friends prepared to sit on their bums all day for you - she was fine about it and she wasn't paying so she knew the score!!

You may have needed to thin the product a little more than you did before re-applying .. but my trick with this is to make my small white bead drier than normal so it is really opaque - then you cant see through it even when it is thinned out (as long as you do not over do the thinning out bit on finishing).
Doing a permanent French service takes practice and given time you will get it.
Try the drier bead of white ... it will help.

geeg said:
You may have needed to thin the product a little more than you did before re-applying .. but my trick with this is to make my small white bead drier than normal so it is really opaque - then you cant see through it even when it is thinned out (as long as you do not over do the thinning out bit on finishing).
Doing a permanent French service takes practice and given time you will get it.
Try the drier bead of white ... it will help.

thanks Geeg will try that too.

Latest posts

Back