Recovering an old pavement sign

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gizmo100

Reaction score
Hi I have inherited an old pavement sign from the previous tenant but the cheapest way of recover is a new insert with graphics at £50 ish - I did it the cheap way and recoevred with sticky blackboard covering but with the rain up here just now all the chalk is washed away - does anyone have any ideas? Think its an expensive one and the insert is metal which i need an anvil key to remove.

hmmmm,
not sure what an anvil key is, i even googled it!

But heres an idea/question:

Often outside pubs etc. they have a menu up, wrtitten on a blackboard, the writing looks like a cross between chalk and paint, beautifully bright & eye-catching colours, & it doesnt seem to get rained off either.

If you can discover what these 'pens' are, you could have your answer. :)

Go and see a signmaker and ask about a vinyl covering. You shouldnt need a new insert unless the old one is damaged. They should be able to fit it without removing the insert.

You can have whatever design or text printed on it and it 'shouldn't' be anywhere near £50

hmmmm,
not sure what an anvil key is, i even googled it!

But heres an idea/question:

Often outside pubs etc. they have a menu up, wrtitten on a blackboard, the writing looks like a cross between chalk and paint, beautifully bright & eye-catching colours, & it doesnt seem to get rained off either.

If you can discover what these 'pens' are, you could have your answer. :)

I was thinking the same - and this way you can change the sign as often as you like for different offers etc at no cost apart from these pens

Hi thats a great idea about those pens - never thought about that and i have a slight apology it was an allan key - dont know where I got the anvil key!lol I had went to a signwritter and I said I was looking to spend under £30 and he said it would be more than that but Im going to take the others posters advice and just try someone else - I think there is a gap in the market here! Will get back to you and let you know what the pens are if I find out - merci!

tres bien! :lol:

Now I know what allan keys are, lol, you can get sets of them from halfords/b&q/homebase/wilko (enough name-checking :)) & they usually have every size you need in them. xxx

My otherhalf does these sorts of things and i can assure you if you already have a board it won't cost you over £50 at allm if you want his details pm me

You can get those "chalk marker" pens from places like Booker cash & carry; probably best to get the solvent based pens for durability as opposed to the water based pens. You will need special solvent based cleaner to remove the writing afterwards though, but at least the rain won't wash it off so easily...
Posted via Mobile Device

Hi,
This works..................
Cover the sign with white, or coloured fablon (sticky backed plastic to you & me.) DIY shops usually stock it.
Then, when you've got your background, write your message with whatever pens or paint that you want.
Then cover the whole lot with CLEAR fablon/sticky backed plastic.
That will cost you about £10 in total and should last for a year or so, or until you have made loads of dosh and can afford a really pukka number :lol:

Latest posts

Back