Rent a Space - how hard?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becky20

Reaction score
Hi I am a newly qualified nail technician who has set up as mobile but would like also to rent a space in a salon somewhere a couple of days a week to keep my experience up and get new clients. How hard is it! No-one seems to want to employ newly qualifieds and they also seem to want you to have beauty experience as well. I mean I am qualified in waxing as well but have not done all the beauty side of it as I did just want to be a nail technician.

Does anyone know how to get started or have any tips in how to get those people to trust in you? Or does anyone have a space in a salon and want to give me a try! I have some private mobile clients but obviously not doing it all the time to keep my experience up.

I live in Kent by the way but would be prepared to travel (not miles away though!).

Thanks.

Becky :lol:

where in kent are you from?

Don't give up honey. Network like all hell and eventually you will meet someone willing to give you a chance. Always always always take your products with you and be willing to do a fullset or fill on the person who is interviewing you for a table or position, so you can show off your skills and they can make a decision about you.
Even if they are advertising for someone with experience you can always get in touch with them and tell them you don't have the years they are after, but you are willing to work hard and learn. Tell them that if they cannot for a suitable person you are available to show them the nails you can do.
Take clear and close up (use the macro setting) pictures from all angles of your best sets and make lots of copies to give to people who are looking for techs.
As with all the best things in life, you often just fall into the perfect scenario by just keeping your eyes open and being willing for it to happen.
GOOD LUCK! :hug:

Try looking at hairdresser alot of them would like to offer nails this way you could just rent a desk in a corner this is how i started it worked really well as i could offer manicures while their colour was on as well as full sets, this way you have a clientel you can work with already x

Thanks very much great tips! I have tried hairdressers so many seem to already have someone but I am going to write to a few and offer my services and see what comes of it. I did go to one place who was offering to rent a space for a nail tech thought it was going to be brillant got it all sorted out and everything only to find when I turned up to finalise details a chinese beautician had set her nail table (in the space I was meant to be renting) up and had drills and airbrush etc and they then had the cheek to get HER to check my work! And they still wanted me to rent a space. So bascially on teh days I would not be working she would be taking my clients I DONT think. And they also said to me at the time we hope you don't use drills we like someone to use the natural file way only to then see she had a drill! I telephoned back and told them I was not interested and did they really think I would rent a space from them and not have the exclusivity of the clients. Very unprofessional I say!

Have you tried contacting louise newall, she has a salon in Bromley and was looking for a part time technician not so long back. Not sure if the position is filled tho. Louise is a geek on the site and her user name is louisenewall. Send her a pm and see how you get on.
David

Thanks Jaydee I have just e-mailed Louise. Hopefully I will get there in the end!.

Becky:Grope:

Make sure you have all the ground rules in place before you start, i've had a bit of a nightmare with this. i rented a room from a local hairdressers, was supposed to be self employed but ended up being just another member of the managers staff, to the point where i was cutting foils, making cups of tea for their clients and generally being treated like a junior, while i was paying them for the privilage!

I left yesterday, after the manager foned me at home on saturday to give me an earbashing for not being in (i had pleurisy) and that was the final straw for me. Make sure you keep a list of your own clients and set some rules beforehand, best of luck honey and keep us posted x

Make sure you have all the ground rules in place before you start, i've had a bit of a nightmare with this. i rented a room from a local hairdressers, was supposed to be self employed but ended up being just another member of the managers staff, to the point where i was cutting foils, making cups of tea for their clients and generally being treated like a junior, while i was paying them for the privilage!

I left yesterday, after the manager foned me at home on saturday to give me an earbashing for not being in (i had pleurisy) and that was the final straw for me. Make sure you keep a list of your own clients and set some rules beforehand, best of luck honey and keep us posted x

hi omg im going through that right now... but the thing is they want me to do it, but IM NOT.. Im not making anything either

Its a shame you are so far away, we are a newly opened hair & beauty salon on sheppey and finding it difficult to get someone to take over our nail bars,
so i am sure that if we are in this situation then someone closer to you must be the same,
Donna

I too am trying to find a nail tech but am struggling, im sure if you keep approaching salons and hairdressers you will sonn be successful! Good luck.

Hello Becky,

Just came across this and I thought I'll write something. I'm sure by now you would have been settled into doing nails considering you left this message 2 years ago. Do you mind if I ask if you still live in gravesend?

I suggest you actually go into salon, i get lots of letters from people wanting apprenticships etc and ignore them. However someone ringing or calling in is in a much stronger position and you can argue your case there and then

Latest posts

Back