Rent and refurbishment costs?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spandangle

Reaction score
I'm viewing a potential salon in the morning....needs a bit of work doing. I've never refurbished a salon from an empty shell before. It does already have toilet facilities/electric/water ect...it's just the internal stuff like a few partition walls and plumbing for sinks ect... has anyone done this before? Did it cost the earth? The rent is also £500pcm which I'm not sure if that's alot or average.

I've spent so many months looking for somewhere im desperate for it to work out. I'm excited to view it but don't want to disappoint myself if I can't afford the refurb xx

Rent sounds reasonable, not sure where you are but mines more than twice
that! Don't forget to add on business rates, utility bills, music licence plus stock!
Luckily my OH did all my refurb, he's still waiting for me to pay him lol but your gonna need a good few thousand to fit it out. Might be worth looking on eBay for salon furniture if your on a tight budget.

Well the place isn't massive. Im going to measure it in the morning (cue beauty therapist with tape measure)

I think it could comfortably fit 2 to 3 small treatment rooms, a reception and nail area and possibly a tanning room? I've also looked at leasing furniture as it seems fairly reasonable and I woukd love one of those lush pedi spas. Thinking of having reception built in to save paying £600+ for one! And i've already got some gorge chandeliers at the ready :) think my main cost after the refurb would be bringing dermalogica in xxx

I've just done exactly this to my salon to revamp the place, I was just an open plan salon before and I'm now a Brow bar and nail bar out front with a big treatment room through the back....its not been cheap, I got mates rates as my father in law is a joiner so done my wall ect and his friend is a plumber...prob costing me around £1200 and that's without flooring/paint/everything else I'm going to need to pretty it up!

Wow if that's mates rates im in trouble!!! Do you mind me asking if you pay alot of rent Misty.... xx

I pay same as you ;) it was more but I re negotiated last year x

Thankyou :) just reassuring to know that other therapists are surviving with the same priced rent! I pay alot less at the mo...but the place I'm in is 1st floor and has mega issues with electrics/heating/hot water. Plus I have no lease hence the move xx

We refurbed ours from an empty shell into a large reception and three good sized treatment rooms. We had to do flooring etc. have a look at our before and afters at www.facebook.com/blissandbeautyltd. Cost wise. The floor cost £1200. The plasterboard/wood etc to divi the rooms up cost about £1700 and labour was about 2 weeks at about £120 per day. Even with that, we did a lot of the decor ourselves and lots of finishing touches but it's still not finished!

Vic x

It's definitely worth putting the money in if your business is growing, I'm so busy I NEED to change my salon, it's eaten away almost all my little profit I'd saved from starting my business 2 years ago but it's me investing in my ever growing business ;)

Concentrate on the basics first, like the plumbing and electrics.
If your feeling stretched with £500 per month...I'd be VERY cautious about leasing, that will really knock up your monthly outgoings.
The last thing to be using your already tight budget on, is those 'gorge' chandeliers! :rolleyes:

Oh I already have them in my current salon so i will be taking those with me. Plus loads of lovely furniture :) it's the building work im unsure of. I thought it might be about £5000 so I don't think I'm too far out. I'd like to have enough left over for the pedi spa and dermalogica but they may have to wait a wee while. Could always get the plumbing in and buy it at a later date I suppose. Xx

...also I'm going to try negotiate it for a bit less per month and I think he's happy to do a free period whilst I do it up. Will know more in the morning =)

...also I'm going to try negotiate it for a bit less per month and I think he's happy to do a free period whilst I do it up. Will know more in the morning =)
Good luck. Let us know how it goes. A pedi spa is a massive indulgence. Think how many pedis you'd have to do to make it worthwhile. A comfy chair and a footsie is just fine. If I bought everything I want I'd always be skint. You just have to work out if it'll make your boat go faster x

I was exactly in the same place 12 months ago. I signed my lease in October last year and opened in November. It was hard work, luckily my hubby and father are very handy and did the majority of the work themselves, partitions, decorating, flooring etc. I negotiated a rent free period whilst the works were carried out. One thing I would say, is don't get carried away wanting the best of everything straight away, set yourself goals. I started with the essentials in my facial products but have added to it since for more luxurious facials. The same with shellac colours, I started with the most popular and have built on that.

I wanted to offer non surgical face lifts and dermabrasion straight away, but I waited 6 months for the dermabrasion and now, 12 months after opening, have just invested in the non surgical machine. There's no way I could have afforded everything I wanted straight away and it gives me a real boost knowing that I can afford to have the things I wanted 12 months ago.

I wish you all the very best. Its all very exciting!!

Ahh thanks ladies and gents you've been brill :)

WELL....I went to view it. Fab location...not much negotiations happened on the price as he was a tough cookie however he did offer me 1 month free which I'm happy with :)

I already have a full shellac wall rack and vinylux stand, some gorge pink french chairs and mirrors ect...it's literally just the shell of the salon I need to do.

The pedi spa... i know i know...massive indulgence and not necessarily needed but ive wanted one for about 8 years and I've worked out we will need to do approx 46 £32 pedicures to make it back. I think that's totally doable in a year....and if I push my staff to push pedicures with a little incentive it a treat if they sell so many then I think it will be okay! We already have skinbase Microdermabrasion coming into our existing premises next week so it really is just the refit!

I told him I'd take a couple of days to think about things and I'd get back to him. But I think it's a big yes if I'm honest

Fantastic. Best of luck. Make sure you get everything else done before you buy your pedi spa though. We're looking forward to pics. Don't forget some befores x

How exciting!! I look forward to seeing the pics xx

I will do :) i keep looking at the befores and panicking a little. I've got 4 weeks from signing the lease top opening. Let the stress begin!! Xx

Latest posts

Back