Rental Versus Salary or %age advise please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scattyfox

Reaction score
I have an appointment to see a gentleman tomorow in regards to a manicurist position he has advertised in his hair dressing salon. Had a quick chat with him today regarding days and said i would be able to do thurs fri sat he seemed pleased with this. Since then i have been reading all your threads in regards to rental salary and %ages and want to make sure i am understanding it correctly as i would like to go in with some idea of what im talking about tomorrow.

• Be it a rental price, salary or %age make sure that receptionist, phone heat, lighting rates are included in the price. Beverages also (if possible)
  • Advertising come to a comprimise on maybe half and half.
  • Referal scheme for staff and clients alike, !st client 10% 2nd client 15% 3rd client 20% off of retail goods.
  • Rental a table £20 per day or
  • 25% of services not retail
  • £7 per hour salary all to be reviewed in 3 months
  • If i provide the equipment the clients are mine (or wishful thinking)
Remind him that I am a good nail technician that will enhance not only his clients nails but his reputation as well (thanks sassy).

See if possible to put sign outside or in window and leave timings for appointments by phone.

Obviously i wont word it this way but just to run it by you lot, i know i want a lot but think im worth it (well if I dont he wont lol).

so girls any advise am i missing anything really important or being too greedy.
x

Wow you've done your homework - obviously your major selling point is Manicurist of the Year - How good will his salon look with your trophy sat in his window? He has the best there is, so make sure he knows it when you negotiate! Good luck hun xxx

Sassy Hassy said:
Wow you've done your homework - obviously your major selling point is Manicurist of the Year - How good will his salon look with your trophy sat in his window? He has the best there is, so make sure he knows it when you negotiate! Good luck hun xxx

TOTALLY AGREE!!

You are the best you have the Trophy to prove it :lol: flaunt it hun xx

Bless you easy to be confident with you lot but not so easy in the real world.
x

well take your trophy with you and if he won't meet your terms then hit him with it - literally!

pmsl; what are you like
lol
x

2 more points scats...don't jump in and offer half of advertising costs...he has a whole salon to advertise, you only have a part of it; offer 10% towards his advertising costs if you can get mention in ad.

Also, take into consideration who is answering phone...they will need a good bit of training from you, e.g. what if someone calls and asks for 'her nails to be fixed' this could mean ANYTHING to the receptionist or to the CLIENT...what does it mean to YOU? She/he will need to know all the right questions to ask a prospective client or you could find yourself booked up for 10 sets of tips and overlays, l & p, with gel topcoat between 10 and 3 on friday...aaahhhhhh!!!!!
Good luck, fiona x

OMG didnt even think of that. thanks Fiona much appreciated
x

Sassy Hassy said:
well take your trophy with you and if he won't meet your terms then hit him with it - literally!

pmsl! With tears in my eyes too!

Just to say good luck today, but I forgot to say in my pm yesterday that the other thing I would want to know is that you are reliable - not off sick loads, or late, or disappearing off shopping if it's quiet.

woo hoo, go get em! lol

I would keep my mouth shut to start with about rental costs or % etc, afterall you dont want to be paying out more than you need! My salon only charge me £30 per week, I know this isnt the norm but you never know....

I wanted to know if I could display my certificates (colour copies), If I could continue to use my own business name, I am self employed so wanted to keep my own identity... I provide all my own leaflets, set my own prices for services and the money for my nails goes straight into my pocket not throught the till.

I can retail nail related products and the profit is all mine. They take my bookings (sometimes not the best option like mentioned before, just get 'Nails' and dont know what??) they make my clients coffee, do call reminders for me the day before, I print off my own leaftets and we share the leaflet drops (I give them some of mine and I take theirs and we do an area each) I have 2 huge posters in the salon window and one inside. I think I have a lot for my rent and I know that I am very lucky.

You know that your manicures are to DIE for!! they want to be snapping you up or someone else will..... good luck babe, let me know how it goes! xx

Blimey Sherrie you have a fantastic deal there!

Good luck Lucia
Hope it all went well for you today chuck :wink2:

Good luck scatty.x x x

scatty, firstly congrats on the win, trophies are great confidence builders for clients. Now don't get me wrong here.....but .... also realise this salon owner is also offering you an inbuilt clientelle, they have probably taken years to build this clientelle and on your fist day it's there for your taking, i wouldn't negotiate to hard, try and meet some kind of amicable agreement , after all, if you went it alone imagine the expense of setting up everything yourself....
this is a great opportunity for you, good luck
One thing I would advise you though, is try and get your own phone line, then if the proverbial ever hits the fan you have a phone number that people are used to calling and you can take with you if the need arises, your phoneline is your lifeline.....

Thanks for the advise but there isnt an exsisting clientelle, he is a hairdresser who is looking at adding to his services for his clients and thought a manicurist would be ideal. this is in lady that lunch land as well, so it amy take some time but i am sure it wouldnt take long for the client list to build up but it will ahve to be me who does it.

thanks for all your best wishes girls and will let you know how i get on later.
x

i'm a boy/man :green:

good luck hun , i am sure you will get a good deal :green:

Sassy Hassy said:
Blimey Sherrie you have a fantastic deal there!

Yeah I know! :green:

I had a call today from the lady who runs the salon because I only do 3 hours in the evening and told her to allow me 2 for a rebalance, she said someone also wanted a full set but that only leaves me an hour so I'd never be able to book more than one person in per night? I told her that I was aware of that but until I get my speed up a bit i'll have to live with it.... she suggested that she gives me a salon key so that I can stay behind or work other nights if I wanted to, afterall, I am paying rent for the week and only using the salon 2 eves and a saturday.... she trusts me and I am an adult and wont lose her keys etc....

roflmao!!!

does it get any better?? :lick:, I know what you said in the other thread about being alone in the salon at night, but it cant be any worse than being out mobile, walking the streets in the dark, etc.... I'm well chuffed!

nailzoo said:
i'm a boy/man :green:

OOOOps apologies x

shouldnt have assumed i always put my size 9's in it lol
x

Latest posts

Back