Retention + mystery :D

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tipsonnails

Reaction score
:cool: Just a quick query if you don't mind.. I was wondering does retention+ have a use by date? If not does it go off? I qualified in June last year as a CND nail technician in Inverness, I purchased a large container of retention + for economy at the same time. I only opened it a week ago and not long after it has been decanted into the dappen dish the colour changes from purple to a grey colour almost immediately... am I doing something wrong?

Is it after you dip your brush in?

yes , but it is before I put any powder on it, so not contamination :?

A new brush? Did you clean all the starch from it?

If it was a brush you had previously used then it could be contamination. Let it soak wellfor a few seconds in the monomer, lift it out, wipe it flattish on a white paper towel and if you see yellow streaks then it is contaminated.

not a new brush .... I will give it another go ... is it affected by the temperature. ?

No, it won't be affected by temperature as regard going grey. Just setting time if it is cold or warm.

Give the dappen dish a good clean out with monomer on a lint free pad, wiping it round, holding it with tweezers or something so it's not touching your skin. Then put some monomer in and leave it. I bet it doesn't change colour. After you are sure it isn't going to change, try dipping in your brush, giving it a good soak and clean, and wiping it on the white paper towel. I bet it turns grey then and you probably get streaks on the towel. If you've not used your brush in a year, it probably is the brush's fault. HTH x

not a new brush .... I will give it another go ... is it affected by the temperature. ?

Monomer can 'go off' if subjected to extreme temperature changes. How have you been storing the monomer? It really shouldn't go grey (not unless you are getting allot of white powder in it when rinsing your brush or your mix ratio is way too wet and you are contaminating it with the powders?? However there is a use by time of a year recommended by the manufacturer. Many of us have used monomer much older than a year but it all depends on how it has been stored and under what conditions.

Latest posts

Back