Advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

courtjb91

Reaction score
I fitted a client with a full head of micro rings from transform in the Mongolian hair shade ice white on the 6th October. The client is a hairdresser herself. She hasn't had any Maintenace and it's been almost 10 weeks.

She just messaged me asking to book in for maintenance. And this is what she said I'll copy and paste.

' hey i need to book in my maitenence, but ive used nothing but purple shampoo and ive even toned the extensions an theyre so yellow i know thats wet but even dry its a problem'

I've attached the picture she sent.

I said back 'Hiya, I'm completely fully booked until January now. So I can book you in then or let you know if I get any cancellations? With the toning I'm not too sure, in the aftercare I sent it does say I don't advise colouring them and if you do then do a strand test first as they may turn out a different colour than you expect xx' and I sent her a screenshot of the aftercare I sent her and she also had this in a paper copy.

She's now said 'ok, yeah jan is fine if you let me know some dates. i only toned them because they have gone yellow and the toner i used is completley ash with no warmth in whatsoever, its real hair so that shouldnt be an issue its because as you know ive paid alot of money and theyve gone yellow pretty quick considering im supposed to be using the hair for 9 months xx'

I will contact transform about this and see what they say. But surely extensions can't just turn yellow by themselves. The ice white matched her hair perfectly when fitted. Do you think she's put a toner on and this has been the outcome? And now she's blaming the hair.... or can extensions really just change colour? My gut says she's tried to colour them or something as in the picture looks like she's sat in a hair dressers, they went yellow and now she's panicked and is blaming the hair. Otherwise surely she would have contacted me before 10 weeks?

Sorry for the long post and the he said she said. But i feel anxious about it

Xx

Attachments

• PhotoGrid_1449857294300.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1449857294300.jpg
    529 KB · Views: 158
  • PhotoGrid_1449857260720.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1449857260720.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Extensions go through a lot of processing when they are manufactured, especially blondes, so it is never really advised to dye or use a toner on them as you just don't know how they will react.

The only reason the hair would change colour by itself is if something has reacted with the hair. Has your client been on holiday? A number of things when going abroad can cause a reaction with the hair, such as suntan lotion, chlorine, hard water or different chemicals and minerals.

It sounds to me though that your client has toned the hair, and it's not gone the desired colour.

I would recommend getting your client to use Malibu C hard water or swimmers, it's super cheap and if it is something that has reacted with the hair then it should remove it.

Thanks for your reply.

No she hasn't been on holiday.
I have asked for a list of products she has used but like I say my gut reaction tells me that she has either tried to colour or tone them and like you say it hasn't had the desired effect and now she's panicked and easiest option is to blame the hair.

I've contacted transform and as she has put a toner on the hair there is no way to tell if the hair was yellowing so they can't help.

I will try the Malibu C thank you.

As I did state in the aftercare that I don't advise colouring as due to the processing the hair goes through the colour may not turn out as expected and also mentioned in aftercare is the potential of blonde hair going a pinky peach colour. She had the aftercare in paper hard copy and then also sent in a message.... this covers my back?

Xx

Did she use an oxidative toner?

Ok, if so that's probably why its reacted differently xx
Sorry it's taken so long she's just got back to me. She said she used a loreal luo po2 toner? Xx

Yup oxidative!
Thanks my love. Can you just briefly explain what's happened so I can go back to her fully armed :) xx

Thanks my love. Can you just briefly explain what's happened so I can go back to her fully armed :) xx

The dye molecules have worked internally on the hair so and have interfered with the chemicals or dyes in the extensions. If she ever wants to tone in future to be safe she needs to use a true semi.

In most cases this wouldn't have happened though from my experience with colouring extensions! X

The dye molecules have worked internally on the hair so and have interfered with the chemicals or dyes in the extensions. If she ever wants to tone in future to be safe she needs to use a true semi.

In most cases this wouldn't have happened though from my experience with colouring extensions! X
Thank you. I honestly don't know what's happened but there's no way to tell truthfully now if the extensions turned yellow themselves like she says or if it was the toner she put on. But in my experience I've never had extensions change colour.... unless the client went on holiday and they went a bit pinky xx

Latest posts

Back