Riots and Insurance

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taggyboy

Reaction score
I have just received an email from my insurers and thought I would pass this on, just in case anyone has been affected. I'm sure you would have already spoken to your relevant companies in the awful circumstances that you have been affected but thought I would put this out there.

It is important that salon owners:

• review their insurance documents (especially plate glass): it is often the case in commercial premises that the liability for plate glass and general buildings is split. They also need to ensure they have appropriate risks covered in their terms: some will have riot excluded.

• review their lease: salons may well recall entering what is called a fully repairing and insuring lease: if this is the case there may be an obligation to reinstate the premises irrespective of insurance coverage. If salons rely on their Landlord to insure and reinstate then their should be a clause suspending rent pending this

• review their contracts of employment: it is perfectly reasonable to expect salaries not to be paid if employment cannot be given (because the salon is inoperable); if salons have employment cover with a major group then they should be calling their helpline to check the position as they need to ensure their next moves are covered by that policy too

• review any HP terms on larger items: does the HP or lease agreement allow them to suspend payment (or even to cancel the contract) if the item is unworkable or stolen

• review employers liability from a Health & Safety perspective: be sure that the salon is a safe place to work: salon owner obligations extend both inside and travelling to the salon

Latest posts

Back