Room in local hairdressers - advice needed please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver Fern

Reaction score
hi there,
a friend of mine has a hair salon with a room at the back that has been used as a beauty room in the past. It's currently unoccupied and I am going to see her this week to discuss using it maybe one day a week to see how things go.
what I'm unsure about is how we would arrange this financially and appointment-wise. I think to start with all appointments should come through me but I don't want to lose anyone because they'd rather make an appointment through the salon whilst they're in there iwsyim.
and financially how do other people do it? do you give a share of the takings or pay a rent? and if you give a share of your takings how much do you think is fair?
i don't want to be out of pocket and nervous but excited at the same time!
i'm currently mobile and now have both kids at school so have a little more time than I did.
Any advice gratefully received!!

You could either give her rent or pay her commission. The average commission is usually a 60/40 split. If you supply the products then you take 60% but if she provides the products then you take 40%.
As the room is currently not being used maybe you could see if you can come to some sort of arrangement. Maybe see if she will give you it rent free for the first 3 months say so that you can build a client base up, or at least get a reduced rate to start with.
If people know there is a hairdresser in there then they are likely to want to book through the salon. Just let the salon know any appointments that you have and they will then know when you are free to fit anyone in that calls.

hello i have just taken the plunge in a simalar situation to yourself , i am renting the space in the salon and i'm paying them a weekly set fee. also regarding bookings they have been very good about letting me use there salon number as well as my own mob number, my appt book is on there reception as i have found allot of clients will book me at the same time as their hair . good luck its very very scary i open on monday so fingers crossed xxx:hug:

thank you - I'll let you know how I get on after I see her tomorrow

I have just done a similar post about a childrens pay area. We have done many of these for a well known franchise group who rent spare space for beauty. We use a licence arrangement (kind of a flexible lease which is great for trials and not so great if you want more permanence).

Be VERY careful about your payment and admin arrangements or at least be very sure in your minds about how you intend to declare this for VAT purposes. These sort of arrangements (more specifically chair rental) were caught by the Revenue last year.

Latest posts

Back