Room only just big enough for a couch!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ditzy

Reaction score
My boss is wanting to turn an unused staff room into a beauty treatment room. A couple of walls will be moved, but the treatment room will actually be only 2metres 5 centimetres long, and just over 1 1/2 meteres wide. It'd be a really tight squeeze, and the shortest couch I've found is 183cm long, which means it's too big for me to stand at the end of the couch!

He's planning on treatments ranging from waxing, eye treatments, things like that, only level 2 stuff.

Is it possible to use a room this tiny realistically? It would mean the bed being against the wall, I'd have to do all treatments including back, eyebrow and underarm waxing from one side, would I be putting my back (or my client) in danger, do you think this is just too small to be practical? Is there anything else I haven't thought of that mean this won't work?

I'm really concerned, as I prefer beauty treatments to hair, and this salon is city centre, so could be ideal for me if it is practical.

Thanks for any replies:hug:

Some people manage to do everything from one side but personally i need to get access on both sides for things like bikini waxing. What about having a beauty chair instead that reclines and then you would have a bit more room to work could still offer eye treatments and small things.

I have to say I have been in small beauty rooms where the couch is against the wall and I felt uncomfortable as the client let alone the therapist! It seemed unprofessional for them to be offering it in that kind of space. Can't you do spray tanning and pedicures/manicures lash tinting brow shaping e.t.c but nothing that needs a couch?

I have to say I have been in small beauty rooms where the couch is against the wall and I felt uncomfortable as the client let alone the therapist! It seemed unprofessional for them to be offering it in that kind of space. Can't you do spray tanning and pedicures/manicures lash tinting brow shaping e.t.c but nothing that needs a couch?

I agree - there is something about being too 'up close and personal'.

Most couches are 6ft long.

Going to be pretty tight.

You can do everything from one side and your client will be fine.....but what about you. It sounds like very cramped conditions for you to work in. xxx

That's what I thought. I really do want to do nails & beauty more than hairdressing, and I just don't think it's a viable beauty room. I may try and talk to him about it just being a nails room, but he's always wanted to offer back waxing to his male hairdressing clients.

More thinking needed!

In my last room I had to do everything from one side and, as Kim says, this is fine for the client but not good for your own posture. My room now has the couch against the wall but I can get behind it for facials and eye treatments which makes life so much easier.

My main concern is the room being so small that there is no real room for your trolley and somewhere comfortable for the client to get undressed and dressed again.

This is simply unprofessional and whilst there will be some clients who don't mind there will be a lot put off and you will not enjoy the experience at all! :) xxx

The beauty room I used to rent was approx 7ft x 8ft - This meant that for facials I had room to stand behind the client but their feet were touching the wall!!
Also manicures had to be carried out over the bed - the way I learnt in college but if the client was having several treatments in one session I had to reorganise the room as they stood by and watched!!
I also found this space quite tight for waxing in - in relation to causing back pain to me due to the limited working space.
Since moving to my new room 21ft x 14ft I don't know myself!! The room is now 'zoned' and multiple treatments flow more easily and the best thing - no more back pain!!

I hate really small beauty rooms - the point about your posture etc is a good one as well x

Latest posts

Back