Salon products and profitability

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lianm1

Reaction score
hello i am looking for some advise on which products are good to use in the salon for cost and effectiveness i am new to this but was wondering about how it works for example some of the products are quite expensive do you charge premium price for treatments,if you use a more cost effective product that maybe is not such a well known product are customers put off,can you please give some recommendations to product brands that are cost effective but also good products

Surely cost should not be the be all and end all. Say for example you go with a slightly more expensive product from a company who spends millions per year on advertising and PR, your clients will have heard of that brand and often seek out a salon with that specific brand.

If however you just go with what is cheap then it could backfire because a) you might not get the results and b) the clients might never have heard of it and therefore might not choose your salon.

thanks for the reply i don't only consider what is the cheapest i also will take into account the reputation of the product but i do feel that it is good to have a balance for example just because a product is more expensive is it better,i understand that clients are often influenced by the media etc so big brands are popular,do some salons offer more than one brand or is it better to decide on a brand and have all the products the same brand,some people seem to be under the impression that a salon that uses lots of different brands does not look professional,what are your thoughts on this,the salon that i am taking over used to use creative but has changed to salon systems as they told me that they were not making enough profit on the creative products

eek , i bet they dont get many of those customers returning after they have used salon system products. The differeance in quality is quite noticable. After all nail products like acrylic will forever me on the finger to examine by the customer.
A facial cleanser by comparrison will not. Prehaps there are very different areas you could cost control in and those you cant. Cheap loo paper for staff as an example! hehe

Latest posts

Back