Salonwear.... send us your thoughts!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah D

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm currently writing a feature on salonwear for Guild News magazine, and would love to hear your thoughts on how you chose your uniform.

Did you select your uniform to match your salon ethos or decor? Or was cost the most important factor in your decision?

Would be great to include some ideas and tips on choosing salonwear for fellow nail techs or therapists. So if you'd like to share your thoughts, please get in touch! (Please also include your name, salon and location so we can quote you!)

Thanks,
Sarah

Hello

I have a salon with my business partner called 2 dumb blondes and our uniforms are pink floaty dresses in the summer and black wrap dresses in the winter OR black t shirts that say 2 dumb blondes and black trousers for when we are working out of the salon.

We wanted something a bit different from the norm as as I am sure you can imagine, with a name like 2 dumb blondes we are not exactly conventional!

We are also both large chested and find that conventional uniforms are uncomfortable. chinese styles tops spend a lot of the time throttling us and wrap over tops in pink are hard to come by and show a bit too much boob sometimes !

so we had to find something that was a compromise.

kinds regards

tigi

aka sheila green

appearance and cost are always important, however practicality is top of my list of considerations when choosing a uniform.

ive seen many attractive uniforms that are beautifully designed but let down by the facric they are made in. many styles seem to be produced only in polyester fabric which i find very uncomfortable to work in especially in warmer weather.
another thing that amazes me is why so many nail tech uniforms are black, after you file your first set of the day, you spend the rest of your time getting progressively greyer as you collect a little more file dust from each customer!

on the cost side, i would be happy to pay a higher cost for a beautiful uniform if i thought it would last. however, whatever the price you pay, you cannot guarantee you wont accidentally ruin it with a little spot of spilt polish or gel, so i keep in the lower price bracket for that reason.
clean , smart and professional doesnt have to cost a fortune.

I have been looking for ages for a nice bubblegum pink mandarin style tunic in poly cotton as I like susan dont like polyester (its itchy!) cant find one anywhere!
Cost is also an issue so I have decided to see if I can get some nice material and get my mum to make me one. If not I'm going to get some nice fitted teeshirts with my business name, as I just cant find any in my budget, material or style I want xx

Hi everyone,

Don't forget that if you'd like to be included in the feature, we need to hear from you by the end of this week.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Sarah x

Im looking for cotton that lasts well, doesnt fade or shrink.....Trousers need to be more fitted and tapered...

Something a bit nicer than the tunic.....Im loving the spa uniforms with the silk inserts & sash on la beebys feature....I dont think they are making them, I think it was a one off....

I think there needs to be a much wider colour scheme available......Surely these companies could get hold of a designer that has salon knowledge...

The whole tunic thing needs an overhaul.......its about time we had more variety...

Oh & keep the price reasonable........I could get a good suit cheaper than some of these salon sets....

Im hoping to get mine made for me..

Latest posts

Back