Sculpting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim Lawless

Grande Dame of the Brazilian Wax for Men and Women
Reaction score
Hi Geeks. I really want to learn how to sculpt. Does it take longer to learn that any other type of application? Does Creative teach sculpting on their conversion courses?
Cheers.

Hi Kimmi,
Sculpting can be tricky to master, But is so much quicker than tip and overlay. I don't think Creative would teach sculpting on a conversion course.
But they do do sculpting on other courses.

Kimmi Rocks said:
Hi Geeks. I really want to learn how to sculpt. Does it take longer to learn that any other type of application? Does Creative teach sculpting on their conversion courses?
Cheers.

I honestly found the hardest part of sculpting is to fit the form, I did a one 2 one to help me better my scultping skills.

I love it now and sculpt wherever possible, I think the nail enhancement looks more pleasing and its quicker and you can charge more - win win eh....

HTH and best of luck

Have to agree with Louise on the form fitting lol
I got through loads when starting out and use to have them in every position possible :irked:

I found the forms tricky too, I tried OPI reuable one and found a little easier, what do you guys use???

Fab Freak said:
I love it now and sculpt wherever possible, I think the nail enhancement looks more pleasing and its quicker and you can charge more - win win eh....
I also prefer to sculpt, find it quicker and easier than tips, could probably benefit from some 1-2-1 on form fitting though to get it right all the time, instead of 80%.....

How do you get around the charging though? I imagine, as long as the clients nail lends itself to sculpting (and most do) that you would want to sculpt. How do you manage to say "I'm going to do it this way but it will cost a bit more"???? Also, how much more do you charge for a sculpted set than with one with tips?

Hi ya

you could always book yourself some one-one with a creative ambassador.

Finding a form your comfortable with is the nightmare.......try the creative ones they are the only ones i get on with.

Horseshoe are a nightmare!!!!

MINKUS said:
you could always book yourself some one-one with a creative ambassador.

Finding a form your comfortable with is the nightmare.......try the creative ones they are the only ones i get on with.

Horseshoe are a nightmare!!!!
Hi, I do use the Creative ones. Find some go on perfectly whilst others are a bit more fiddly and I either get a gap between the form and free edge, or at one section. I know you can cut the forms too to fit how you want if need be but not sure how/where so not brave enough to try yet! I'll do spend some time with Pamela Rohlf at some point, just money isn't available at the mo for it :sad:

I also struggle getting the forms on etc and need some practise before my masters exam at end of month so have rang Leeds today and got myself on a 1-2-1 on 17th Feb. Ever since I did my original training 2 years ago I have hated doing sculpts!!!!!
icon_sad.gif

Been practising sooooooo much!!!!!

With regards to the forms I use, I do find the Creative forms great they have been alot easier than others I tried, but hopefully after my 1-2-1 I'll get any form on!!! LOL
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Mich

I wish I could learn to sculpt.... do away with tips and tip blending. I have practised fitting forms and whilst I have no problem getting the shape right in the first place, they never bloomin' stay stuck on! Was working on Harold once, happily pottering away with my gel, and the bl**dy form fell off and landed gel-side-down on the table!
Bought some re-usable ones once but they were cheap plastic and couldn't get them to work at all, have considered the 'teflon' or 'teflon-like' ones given my form-not-sticking nightmare, but guess these don't work with all nail shapes. Anyone got any ideas why my forms won't stay on? I've tried cleaning the hand thoroughly etc, all the 'obvious' reasons for something sticky not sticking, but no joy... :(

Not sure why your forms aren't stcking but I can recommend the creative forms. When I did my Creative Illusions course my forms stuck to my models hands very well infact I struggled to get a couple off, they are VERY sticky!

Mich

ps I know that if a client has very clammy hands it can be harder to get the form to stick. HTH

Creative, Nsi and Ez-flow all do the job :D

hi bryony
there is no reason to charge any more for a full set of sculpts, if anything i would charge more for a set of tip & overlays.
for 1, the biggest product cost in your full set is down to the tips & adhesive.
& 2, sculpting is at least 1/2 hour quicker ( when u become proficient)
& 3, the only reason that i get my tip boxes out is for a problem nail, so technically i should b charging more.
however, a full set is a full set, & i charge the same.
liza x

Liza,

I absolutely agree with all your points......

I was querying Louise, as she says she does charge more for sculpted nails (as does a salon local to me). I know people do charge more for sculpted nails as they are considered more of an art to master (NOT saying that tip & overlay isn't!!) so justifies the ability to charge more, was just wondering how Louise pitched the extra charge to her clients. Just curious, not trying to say either way is right or wrong...

Hi

I use creative forms too and I love sculpting. I never have a problem with them falling off, quite the opposite. Are you tearing the narrow bit and securing it tightly by sticking it back together ? If you understand my drivel.

Are nail trainer's any good to practice sculpting on?

you're right also bryony, sculpting is an art.
i suppose some people r scared to sculpt & mayb they put it "on a pedastool".
& the more i think back to the time b4 i was more "into" sculpting, i think the we may have charged more for sculpting!
how times change!
& how my memory is failing me more & more just recently!
liza x
ps.. i just spotted your post heavenly! the nail trainer is great to practise on, much easier than the real thing as handy andy doesn't have a hypernychium, so the forms slide right under the free edge!

Latest posts

Back