Sealing polish with gel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammi010

Reaction score
A friend who is very kindly helping me with nails has told me that a previous nail tech used to seal colour polish with a top layer of gel.

Which sounds a good idea, but what happens if you want to change colour or go back to p&w, can you buff the top layer of gel and then just remove polish or would you have to soak off entirely and start again?

Thanks

You will have to buff off the top layer of gel and then remove the polish colour. This takes more time and should cost more money. Smart technicians will charge extra for this top coat gel service but .....

Have to say, I think it is a messy business for what?? A good quality top coat lasts just as long and is half the trouble over enhancements. Sell the client a bottle of your favorite top coat and she can add a coat now and again if needed. YOU win all around.

sammi010Which sounds a good idea said:
I thought you couldn't apply gel over polish? I accidently applied a liquid gloss gel over a French, thinking it was a UV top coat and it wrinkled up on the polish and looked hideous. It took ages to remove and caused a right mess:o Fortunately it was on a friends nails and a freebie so she wasn't too fussed.r

A UV top coat is a type of gel and is specifically made for the purpose. There are a few around that are formulated to go over polish ... these are not the same as the Top Coat gels that are made to add shine and gloss to gel enhancements as part of a gel system.

Latest posts

Back