'Secret' home remedies/recipes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deanosnana

Premium Geek
Reaction score
Hi All! I have a cat who pees, wherever. Everytime I walk through the front door, it smells like a litterbox. I've purchased several urine odor removers, with limited success. I found this recipe on the web and just wanted to share.

THE RECIPE
  • 1 quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide
  • 1/4 cup baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon of liquid soap
Gently mix all ingredients in a non-metal container. Do not mix or shake
vigorously!

The mixture is best used when fresh but can be stored. Do not keep mixture in an
airtight container as baking soda and hydrogen peroxide when mixed together
release loads of oxygen. We don't want an explosion on our hands on top of the
mess we already have!

Always test for color-fastness when using first. Apply to a small area and wait
24-48 hours until dry before using on an entire area. Hydrogen peroxide is a
bleaching agent in stronger concentrations (think teeth whiteners) and can lighten
materials that are not color-fast.

I made this up the other day and it REALLY works. I'm amazed and it's a fraction of the cost of commercially prepared products!

So, do you have a secret home remedy/recipe to share? :)

Last edited:
You can also use biological washing liquid. Make up a strong solution by adding a little bit of hot water, saturate the area so it soaks down, then blot a bit of the excess. Leave to soak for a while, then rinse clean. The biological liquid contains enzymes that break down whatever it is in cat pee that causes the smell.

I tried this on our leather sofa, and it was the only thing that worked.

You can also use biological washing liquid. Make up a strong solution by adding a little bit of hot water, saturate the area so it soaks down, then blot a bit of the excess. Leave to soak for a while, then rinse clean. The biological liquid contains enzymes that break down whatever it is in cat pee that causes the smell.

I tried this on our leather sofa, and it was the only thing that worked.

I used this when i got a rescue cat. I had a persian at the time and one of them peed every where, refusing the litter tray. I washed the whole house in a strong solution of wash powder, curtains (yes, sprayed up the curtains, lol) floors, rugs etc. Once the house was done i never had a problem again. Bonus as well the house smells clean and fresh, lol

My next door neighbor came over last night to use my cell phone as hers fell into a bucket of water and was no longer working.

I told her about a remedy I had heard about but never tried it, myself. Put some rice in an air tight container, place the open wet phone on the rice, cover with rice and put the top on the container. The next day your phone should work.

I went to see her this a.m. to ask if she needed my phone anymore and to my (AND HER) amazement, he cell phone was working!

Last edited:
You can also use vinegar and bi-carb soda.

Latest posts

Back