See sawing... the natural nail!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louise

Dizzy geek
Reaction score
Hi,

Can you please confirm that i have not dreamt this (as i can't remember for the life of me where i have seen information regarding this!) that it is now okay to file in a see saw direction, & not fromone side to middle & then from other side back to middle (as we where taught in college).

Hope you can make sense of this!

Thanks

Louise x :Love:

I hear conflicting views on this all the time. If you are using a very very light abrasive I think its OK to "see saw" as long as you bevel the edge to seal the nail. I try not to as clients then seem to think I'm doing something wrong. Some trainers wont tolerate it at all though (I know Jessica dont).
On enhancements I do whatever my mood takes me.
HTH

Trinity Nails said:
Damn she's fast - less than 5 mins for a reply AND found a link :D

As long as it's a 240 grit you'll be fine

Trin
xx

LOL I just read the tutorial this morning!

It is worth explaining to clients who 'feel they know better' that with modern abrasives (Mylar boards etc), a seesawing motion actually helps to seal the free edge of the natural nail.

Those rules were for the old days when abrasives were nothing more than sandpaper!! The modern boards are not sand but different particles which are MUCH kinder to the free edge and don't tear it up but in fact improve it. always use a fine grit on the natural nail.

Thankyou.

I thought i was going daft, as i could not remember where i had heard or seen it!

Louise x :D

The coursness of the files confuse me at the mo...in colege we.ve only been given slightly larger emery boards.....re: the see saw action does this include using the glass files...

Is there a link that I can go to so that I can get a bit more in depth info on
this....(seesawing motion actually helps to seal the free edge of the natural nail)
just wanted to know how that actually works. Sorry I'm one of these people who like to get into the nitty gritty of everything! Thanks Geeg!

geeg said:
It is worth explaining to clients who 'feel they know better' that with modern abrasives (Mylar boards etc), a seesawing motion actually helps to seal the free edge of the natural nail.

Those rules were for the old days when abrasives were nothing more than sandpaper!! The modern boards are not sand but different particles which are MUCH kinder to the free edge and don't tear it up but in fact improve it. always use a fine grit on the natural nail.

The Book - Nail Structure and Product Chemistry by Doug Schoon - explains it all. He has actually taken hugely enlarged photographs that show the reality of this. It is proven fact.
Julie Parkin said:
Is there a link that I can go to so that I can get a bit more in depth info on
this....(seesawing motion actually helps to seal the free edge of the natural nail)
just wanted to know how that actually works. Sorry I'm one of these people who like to get into the nitty gritty of everything! Thanks Geeg!

Latest posts

Back