Seeing Natural nail grow with a gap under white tip

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

netreg

Reaction score
After more advice please, and hopefully I explain myself so that you understand what I am talking about. Okay, Had a client with very short nails where the natural smile lines were very uneven. I applied white tips (which were applied slightly higher than normal) so that the smile line of the white tip was even across the nail. Then applied L&P and the finish wasnt too bad. Client was happy enough as she has since returned twice for infills. The client has not mentioned a thing but I now notice that now that the natural nail has grown, I can actually see the natural nail under the tip with a small gap between the tip and the natural nail. I obviously didnt apply the tip correctly in the first place, but was very unaware of this as I was trying to even out the smile line.
Q. How can I avoid this? when the smile line was originally very high on one side of the nail.
Q. Has anyone else experienced this gap between natural nail & tip?

when she is coming back to you are you backfilling the white to put the smile line back in its place? Not sure what you mean!

Ok you sound quite new to this, so maybe the advice you need is...........

As the nail grows it is obviously moving up the length of the finger/nail bed, so to speak, that is why you get the gap at the bottom. So the clients own smile line you see peeking through now is because the nail where the tip was originally placed has grown up past the clients smile line.

What I do when this happens is, thin down the l&p on the tip slightly, then with a tiny ball of white on your brush reapply to the smile line area, and draw in the smile line again. Then gently pull your brush back towards the tip of the nail as this blends in the new smile line with the old filed down white area. Then I apply myself to filling the infill area as normal. Then a small about of buffing and the tip is then finished.

Hope this helps. Dont know if everyone uses this method, but it works for me.

Netreg, do you mean that looking onto the nail from above, the smile line has moved up and is now sitting too far onto the free edge, or that if you look at the nail from end on, the tip is now stuck down flush to the natural nail?

I have the same problem with my right thumb.... Applied a set a week yesterday, did a white tip on my thumb as I can't do the smile line on it very well, but have noticed today that the tip is not stuck flush onto the nail (little pocket in the middle), leaving a gap between the nail and tip, and I will now have to remove and redo.

If your problem is the same as mine, I'd love to know if there's something that causes it, or if I didn't stick the tip on properly in the first place and just didn't notice.
I know that this could have happened applying a tip with too dramatic a c-curve I think???

Ps - where in Sussex are you? Other geeks may have noticed by now that I leap onto any unsuspecting geek that joins from my part of the world!! :D

HI,

Think you will have to explain where exactly the gap is to us. Is it when you are looking at the nail from above that you see a gap between nail and tip, or is it when you look down the barrel of the nail ( meaning you possibly put the tip on at the wrong angle). Let me know I will try and help.

netreg said:
After more advice please, and hopefully I explain myself so that you understand what I am talking about. Okay, Had a client with very short nails where the natural smile lines were very uneven. I applied white tips (which were applied slightly higher than normal) so that the smile line of the white tip was even across the nail. Then applied L&P and the finish wasnt too bad. Client was happy enough as she has since returned twice for infills. The client has not mentioned a thing but I now notice that now that the natural nail has grown, I can actually see the natural nail under the tip with a small gap between the tip and the natural nail. I obviously didnt apply the tip correctly in the first place, but was very unaware of this as I was trying to even out the smile line.
Q. How can I avoid this? when the smile line was originally very high on one side of the nail.
Q. Has anyone else experienced this gap between natural nail & tip?

When you apply a white tip or L&P white smile line , eventually the the natural nail will show through...... thats nature lol......

If a client has a very short nail bed, I would not use a French tip... I would use a natural tip, apply white L&P where the smile line should be and then use Flawless pink, this will create the illusion of a longer nail bed.....and a fab French enhancement............

Flawless pink is an opaque powder and hides a multitude of sins........... and you can mix this powder with other CND colours to create the perfect harmonizing nail colour for your client or go mad mix in some glitter and/or colour... the choice is yours xxx

Some nails have a natural twist as they grow, this shows up more when they have French tips or French L&P and it has been on for a little while, as one side of the nail will seem longer than the other, it isn't really, but the twist can make it look like that............This is always corrected during their next re-balance , with a fab relocated smile line and apex..............

Hope this is what you wanted to know lol..........

Latest posts

Back