Self employed and kicked out

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murphysno1

Reaction score
I'm self employed in a salon working on a percentage basis paying my own tax and national insurance and advertising for myself , I've been at this salon for 7 years and last Friday I was told they are closing the salon for good on Saturday coming ... so I started telling my clients and all of them said "please make a record of my colours" . Well the book keeper who works upstairs decided this was theft so hid the self employed staffs record cards in a childish kind of way . No cards left the salon so I cannot see how this is theft and the clients had requested this , my personal clients I've been doing for 20 years so a long time before I started at this salon and I was under the impression that self employed are responsible for their own client records and list . The salon belongs to my partners mother and he called her last night to say I wanted to order the colours but can't now that the cards have been hidden and it all kicked off so me and the other self employed members have been kicked out over this , unfortunately the owners cannot deal with confrontation in any form so this is their usual reaction. Please note I did not ask my partner to call them he called me , I sounded upset and explained what had happened so off his own back he thought he would call his mother and try resolve the problem . Where do I stand ??

Well I am not sure about the UK but I know here it is up to the salons discretion to give up client information. However;
-They are closing. Why do they need it?
- If you are self employed you are legally in charge of your clients. The cards are legally yours as you are your own business as a rental (assuming its the same as what we have here)
- The clients should be legally allowed to collect their colour data.
- Your mother in law kind of sounds like she sucks if she is willing to go behind your back and sell and prevent you from keeping your clientele.

If you are self employed then your client records are yours, not the salon owners.
2 weeks notice of closing seems very unfair too especially as you have been there several years.
If the owner won't speak face to face with you then I would suggest you firstly, write a letter to the owner formally requesting your client information as for her to keep them would be against the Data protection act.
If that, doesn't work then see a solicitor in the New Year and get them to write to her. This generally gives the desired result! (if it still doesn't, they will advise you on what to do next).

Keep copies of all correspondence with her and give precise dates by which you expect the records to be returned to you. When she doesn't act on your first letter, you then have a specific date on which to contact a solicitor and go ahead with a second official letter.

Sorry, that the salon is closing with little notice. That's tough at any time.

However, you need to advise them that if they don't give you the information immediately, you will be reporting them to the Information Commissioners Office for breaching the the Data Protection Act 1998.
As a self employed person, the client data belongs to you and only you should be keeping their confidential records.
The salon will be guilty of more than theft if they insist on keeping them and could find themselves under investigation.

https://ico.org.uk/concerns/

The clients them self can request there own recorded as part of the data protection act the records are technically there's as it's there personal information.

shell2020 and AcidPerm perfectly summed it up! it is illigal for the salon to keep your records from you are they are your property due to your self employed status and clients in the uk are entitaled by the law to have access to any relevent information regarding them providing it doesnt infringe on another clients confidentiality while doing so.

Sounds like you've had a rubbish time, I'm sure you'll be much better off in the new year going it alone!

If you're self employed then the clients are yours not theirs, so they can' keep those records from you, and for the legal reasons people stated above.

Get your records and message all your clients letting then know where you will be next x

Back