Self employed trouble with owner

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahrose1994

Reaction score
Hi ill keep this short

I'm self employed I work in a local beauty salon using one of the rooms within the salon i pay a 50/50 split i buy all the products wash my own towels so on.

The salon dosnt get a lot of passing trade and I found that Saturday's are usually empty for me. I am earning so little I'm finding it hard to progress to buy new machines and new products because I'm earning so low. Any way I looked for a second job part time one that I could do on the quite days at the salon I found one a waxing salon on Thursdays and Saturday it focus on only waxing somthing the salon I'm at now doesn't even do. Now the salon owner is been funny she thinks I shouldn't have a second job and I should sit at the salon until someone comes in I can't though I need the money

What should I do what should I say I'm all new to this and I am feeling worried

:) thanks

Well if you aren't earning any money on that day it's reasonable not to go in. If you don't need the room on that day perhaps she can advertise for someone to try a different service in there on Saturdays?.

If you're self employed you can do what you want as long as you're still paying for the room :) I wouldn't suggest her to get someone else in on the days you won't be there if you've set that room up for yourself and store all of your own equipment/products in there.
I think it would be a good idea to get a job whilst you build up clients and are maybe struggling for money. It's especially great that you've managed to get a 2nd job within the beauty industry and for only two days a week, and practicing a skill you aren't using at the moment. Sounds fab to me! If she has a problem with it just gently remind her that you're self employed and can work whatever days you want. As long as you're giving her the money I see no problem

Seems unfair you pay 50% and buy all your products ! Normally it's 60-40 to whoever buys the products . No wonder you're not earning a lot xx

I agree 50/50 is rubbish. I think I would only break even at that price .
Unless she is paying you to sit there , she must keep quiet !

I had the exact same issue at the hotel I worked at, until I pointed this out , they kept quiet very quickly.

If you're self employed you can do what you want as long as you're still paying for the room :) I wouldn't suggest her to get someone else in on the days you won't be there if you've set that room up for yourself and store all of your own equipment/products in there.
I think it would be a good idea to get a job whilst you build up clients and are maybe struggling for money. It's especially great that you've managed to get a 2nd job within the beauty industry and for only two days a week, and practicing a skill you aren't using at the moment. Sounds fab to me! If she has a problem with it just gently remind her that you're self employed and can work whatever days you want. As long as you're giving her the money I see no problem

Thank you for your advice :) I may mention to her that I would be happy to rent the room instead of paying the 50/50 split as another girl dose this and she pays around 50%less as week than I do... I am so happy that iv got a second job it's 50/50 but all the products,advertising and health care provided so it's brilliant for me and brings more cash in so I can buy a microdermabrasion machine for my beauty room

:) thanks x

I agree 50/50 is rubbish. I think I would only break even at that price .
Unless she is paying you to sit there , she must keep quiet !

I had the exact same issue at the hotel I worked at, until I pointed this out , they kept quiet very quickly.

She keeps saying I used to sit here from 9am-7 with no one in... she says my hours are all over the place and I'm damaging her reputation I would understand if I was stopping lots of client from booking in by not been there due to me been off sick but we get like maybe 2 walk ins per week!!

Thank you for your advice :) I may mention to her that I would be happy to rent the room instead of paying the 50/50 split as another girl dose this and she pays around 50%less as week than I do... I am so happy that iv got a second job it's 50/50 but all the products,advertising and health care provided so it's brilliant for me and brings more cash in so I can buy a microdermabrasion machine for my beauty room

:) thanks x

You're welcome :)

Sounds like a good idea, and microdermabrasion would bring in more regular clients so that would be great too. Good luck! X

Hi ill keep this short

I'm self employed I work in a local beauty salon using one of the rooms within the salon i pay a 50/50 split i buy all the products wash my own towels so on.

The salon dosnt get a lot of passing trade and I found that Saturday's are usually empty for me. I am earning so little I'm finding it hard to progress to buy new machines and new products because I'm earning so low. Any way I looked for a second job part time one that I could do on the quite days at the salon I found one a waxing salon on Thursdays and Saturday it focus on only waxing somthing the salon I'm at now doesn't even do. Now the salon owner is been funny she thinks I shouldn't have a second job and I should sit at the salon until someone comes in I can't though I need the money

What should I do what should I say I'm all new to this and I am feeling worried

:) thanks

If I was in your shoes I'd ask at the waxing salon whether there is a room you can rent so that you can work there doing hair 85% & waxing 15%???

Latest posts

Back