Self employment help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grumpysmrs

Reaction score
So with my job we are becoming self employed. The salon owner is asking for rent and a percentage. She is also putting complete restrictions on what we can do in terms of our work when in the salon and what we charge. Is this OK? As far as I was concerned if we are self employed we can do/charge what we want. And rent and percentage seems a lot of money.

In a word no! If you are self employed it's your business love....Check out hmrc guildlines on self employment and I suggest you kindly print one off for her too! A percentage and a daily rate is a bit steep but it depends on what you usually take. It's easier for a daily rate .....She sounds like she's being greedy. Are you currently employed by her, and is this a suggestion or a must ?

If you are currently employed, she cannot force you to go self employed.
Just tell her no thanks and contact ACAS for advice.

The number is at the bottom of the HMRC guidelines sticky at the top of this forum.

In a word no! If you are self employed it's your business love....Check out hmrc guildlines on self employment and I suggest you kindly print one off for her too! A percentage and a daily rate is a bit steep but it depends on what you usually take. It's easier for a daily rate .....She sounds like she's being greedy. Are you currently employed by her, and is this a suggestion or a must ?
I have read the guidlines but being guidlines I didnt really know where i stand. I've got my current appointments for Feb and I'm looking at being £22 out of pocket. We have no control over the prices we charge and she has a training list we have to complete before we can do anything new. I am currently employed and we do have to become self employed but it was made very clear that we had to do it staggered and we had to hand in our notice.

I have read the guidlines but being guidlines I didnt really know where i stand. I've got my current appointments for Feb and I'm looking at being £22 out of pocket. We have no control over the prices we charge and she has a training list we have to complete before we can do anything new. I am currently employed and we do have to become self employed but it was made very clear that we had to do it staggered and we had to hand in our notice.

That's illegal!
She cannot force you to become self employed. Contact ACAS first thing tomorrow.

That's illegal!
She cannot force you to become self employed. Contact ACAS first thing tomorrow.
I was going to talk to cab. And see how things go for a month or so and if I'm not making money I might as well sit at home! It's just that could be a really awkward convocation and then I still have to work there! I feel so stuck

She doesn't know what she's doing clearly! Tell her you have sought advice and what she is doing is illegal. If you are to self employed (your choice) then you will decide your hours /rates/ marketing ect ect x

Latest posts

Back