Shadowing over my top lip

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Emmsybabes~

Reaction score
This is really doing my head in.
I don't have a moustache lol but I do have a shadow above my top lip that looks like I do.

It looks as if I have dirty skin, like I have rubbed my finger on a newspaper and then across my top lip ...

does anybody know why I have this ?
and is there anything I can do to get rid of it,

It is VERY embarrassing.

I have never noticed it until all my skin treatments, so maybe it is that now my overall skin tone is improving slowly, this is now more obvious.

Please help me :cry:

i noticed the same when i was using the sunbeds a couple of years ago, apparently being on the pill does this!

Yep, this sounds like pigmentation. Often caused by the pill, and from overexposure to the sun/sunbeds. I think you can get some kind of laser treatment for it, and I understand that microdermabrasion can help too.
I suspect that you notice it far more than anyone else does; we're very often our own harshest critic!

Thankyou :hug:
However I'm not on any form of contraception and havent been for a few years (about 3 or 4)
And I have never really used sunbeds, a few times a couple of years ago, and I have used them a few times in the last week or so, but I noticed the shadowing before this,

I have had a few microderms at the college, I only really noticed this once I started my facial treatments,

Its mingin, even coverage stuff doesnt seem to be working .

I have the same thing! I have however come to the conclusion that it is the shape of my lips and I am stuck with it! extremely vexing however! Lx:eek:

Hi Be very careful of too many microdermabrasion treatments. It sounds like it is connected by what you say in your thread. These treatments now and then can be beneficial but can cause hyperpigmentation in some individuals. MDB treatments longterm have been noted to cause a decrease in ceramide levels (lipid layers) in the S.Corneum, which in turn has been linked to skin disorders. Please use a sunblock and be careful about your choice of facial treatments.

It might seem like stating the obvious but have you tried a concealer or Touche eclat ?
It will help to disguise it.

It might seem like stating the obvious but have you tried a concealer or Touche eclat ?
It will help to disguise it.
Yes hun, I tried the bodyshop one, it makes no difference, Just sort of makes the skin around it look better, but the shadowing is still there.
The microdermabrasion thing makes sense, (highlights my lip line FABBY though lol)
Because its only once my skin started improving ( after the microderms of which I had 2 sessions in the college over a fortnight)
That I began to notice this,
And no point in hiding this even though I am now thinking I have been a silly girly lol...I have been using a home microderm kit too,...the L'oreal one and I DID focus on that area one day last week, because I thought it needed it to take away the shadowing :o

I think I need to take my own advice and stay away from ANY diy kits of ANY kind lol

So If I step away from the microderm...is there any possible chance It may go back to normal...or am I stuck looking manly for life :eek:

Hi Initially I would try and use a gentle lightening cream for hyperpigmentation. Nimue do a range but whatever you use make sure it has no hydroquinone in and uses safe ingredients. Try these first but you should always use sunblock every day applying regularly. :)

Hi Initially I would try and use a gentle lightening cream for hyperpigmentation. Nimue do a range but whatever you use make sure it has no hydroquinone in and uses safe ingredients. Try these first but you should always use sunblock every day applying regularly. :)

I second this Emma...SPF cream is so important,preferably factor 25 or 30,there is no need to go higher.....i always found Nimue or Academie are good ones to use.

Again,use a gentle lightening cream,some do contain an spf but not very high,so i can not stress spf enough...LOL

As for a concealer touch eclat,is a highlighter so it adds an optical illusion in brightening up the under eye area,so i would personally not use that.

You need to be using a concealer with a strong pigment to conceal correctly.

I have to say mineral make up really surprised me,try jane Iredale or Bare minerals....i found i always got great coverage from these 2 mineral brands...:)

... I agree with beauty guru!

A good concealer to use (if you're really aiming for a flawless finish) is the one by Screenface. I use their palette suited to my skin tone and mix and blend until I have the perfect shade - great for when my skin colour changes with the sun.

You really need to blend it before you put it on areas like your upper lip or cheek but blending it on the back of my hand seems to do the trick and make the consistency lighter.

Don't worry too much though hon - it probably isn't as noticeable as you think. I get a different pigmentation above my lip too but it's only noticeable in photos! Weird! ... It's very common so don't stress too much! And don't do anymore MDB!

xLx

Latest posts

Back