Shall I give up now?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Beauty Shed

Reaction score
Hiya, just having a moan as I am out of ideas and feel like giving up.......

I did my Creative foundation course in November, closely followed by the SpaDay and have been practising every other day at least to try and get better and quicker which I feel I am doing, but still have a way to go.

The problem is finding a job, I have posted letters to every salon in my area that uses Creative, I have tried actually walking into salons and asking and I HAVE EVEN TRIED OFFERING tO WORK FOR FREE ON SATURDAYS UNTIL I AM GOOD ENOUGH to start full time, but I have had no luck at all. I did get two 'interviews' where I had to take a model with me and show what stage I was at but the one woman told me I was beyond trainee level and there was nothing she could do for me and the other told me I would train with her and then pinch her clients in 6 months time!!! How can she just assume what I will do!?!?! And why get me to go in and do that if she had her mind made up before I started???

I am soooo mad! Why doesn't anyone want to give me a chance?

I really don't want to do mobile and haven't got the room to do it from home or I would. What did all of you do to start out??

Hiya Samoyed - it's really so hard to get yourself up and running isn't it. Its a shame you don't want to consider going mobile at least for the interim because that would help keep your skills (and your chin!) up and, in the meantime, you could keep an eye out for an opening?

Have you also tried approaching hair salons to try negotiating setting up a table? Or how about some gyms - I know a couple of these local to me have recently let out space to nail technicians so there are options out there - just a case of finding them.

Really hope you can sort something out soon - don't give up.

OFF THREAD SORRY

Paolo just seen your pic on your signature .... i know of a GEEK (not mentioning any names but you know who you are !! Lol) that actually did this ! Lovely bright pink ... it wouldnt have been so bad but the dog was a boy !

kx

Hi Samoyed,

You say you don't have room to set up from home - you don't need much!

I currently work from my dining room table!!! As much as I's like, we don't have a spare room that I can dedicate to nails, I can't go mobile and work full time at another day job so salon work also not an option.

It's not ideal (the table is too wide for a start!!LOL!) but it's better than nothing. I lay my table out, have my retail products at one end, I wear my uniform etc. I've had comments from a few clients on their initial visit that it all looks very professional.

It's a bit of pain to have to pack everything away after each client so we can eat but at least it allows me do nails somehow.

I know a couple of other geeks in the past have said they do the same, or use kitchen table, even ironing boards!! Another advantage is that you don't have to pay business rates council tax for that room (which you should do if the room is dedicated to business). Just make sure your insurance company are aware - mine didn't even charge any extra premium!

If your table is too wide, why not do like my friend did. Take your ironing board. Cover with beautiful white cloth, then lay lovely soft towels on it. Put a chair either side and all you nail equipment laid out at one end. Ole' a narrow nail bar table. Saves spoiling your best dining room table.

Kerrie...as I saw, first hand, your nail skills, I'm just gonna say...you had better NOT give up!
Why not mobile luv?
Just do a few a week and stay local to you (thats wot I did at first) just to keep practicing those lovely skills of yours!
Don't get too despondant as its early days, but go get em gal! :cool:

Karren said:
OFF THREAD SORRY

Paolo just seen your pic on your signature .... i know of a GEEK (not mentioning any names but you know who you are !! Lol) that actually did this ! Lovely bright pink ... it wouldnt have been so bad but the dog was a boy !

kx

i have a lovely black pug - and he loves having his nails done - i keep one file for him, and if i throw a file in the bin at home he gets it out bugs the hell out for me till he has his nails done - my mum said 'paint his nails' he'll go away - not this little boy - he now gets bottles of polish if they are left around.

He's such a honey - currently keeping my feet warm - what ever i do he's there

Thanks guys for trying to cheer me up and thanks Jackie for your comment! It's just soooo disheartening when you get no after no after no, especially when you feel like they are taking the p**s out of you in the process! I have tried a couple of sunbed shops, will try some hairdressers now. There aren't many in my area though!

And YES, I have painted my pooch's nails too. I have a little Pomeranian called Minnie and I painted her nails pink because she wouldn't leave me alone when I was painting mine!!! LOL!

Karren said:
OFF THREAD SORRY

kx[/QUOTE
Karren giving my secrets away!!!!:eek: Charlie's nails looked lovely sporting 'sneaky'. When trades slack wots a girl to do other than paint her dogs nails!!!!!

heatherw55 said:
Karren said:
OFF THREAD SORRY

kx[/QUOTE
Karren giving my secrets away!!!!:eek: Charlie's nails looked lovely sporting 'sneaky'. When trades slack wots a girl to do other than paint her dogs nails!!!!!
I remember painting my Jack Russels nails when I was a kid. He wouldn't stay still! (kept turning around to chat to his friends!!...lol)

I got it all over his fur and the carpet!! OOps...needless to say I didn't do it again. If only I had my Solar Speed spray back then. My mum wasn't a happy bunny and it probably wasn't his favourite colour either (bright red).

Samoyed, I agree with everybody before telling you to do it any way you can from home. I do, and I started in the kitchen, moved to dining room. I'm just lucky now that I have got a spare study downstairs which I use as my salon. You don't have to have flashy surrounding to create beautiful nails and clients will come back as long as your nails are good, which they obviously are!!! Go for it girl!!

Karren said:
OFF THREAD SORRY

kx
Pink is the in colour for men anyway...it shows confidence!!! Tee hee

Hi Samoyed,

Sorry I don't have any answers for you, but just wanted to give you a few words of encouragment. It is SO hard to get started, isn't it?

You sound like you are at the intermediate stage (like me) - no longer a beginner, but need someone with experience to take you under your wing and give you help and guidance. I think some techs who are not quiet ready to take on a trainee can feel threatened by a new tech, but it's only because they are not at the stage in thier career to take on the role of mentor.

Do you do friends and family's nails at the moment? I'm sure if you do their friends will soon be asking you to do their nails too and before you know it you'll be working mobile without even realising it!

Keep going I'm sure you will find someone out there who is willing to help you eventually (at least that's what I keep telling myself! :D )

Good luck and best wishes,

Karen
xxx

Thanks, yes I am doing friends and family at the moment, I did get asked to do my sisters friends nails (who I had never met before), but when I got there all she wanted was a polish cause she was going out and then looked at me gone out when I charged her! Like she was going to get it for free!I don't seem to be having much luck! LOL! Hopefully it will pick up, my fiancee is taking me out tonight to cheer me up before Valentine's Day, so it might get me back focused if I cheer up a bit!

Samoyed said:
Thanks, yes I am doing friends and family at the moment, I did get asked to do my sisters friends nails (who I had never met before), but when I got there all she wanted was a polish cause she was going out and then looked at me gone out when I charged her! Like she was going to get it for free!I don't seem to be having much luck! LOL! Hopefully it will pick up, my fiancee is taking me out tonight to cheer me up before Valentine's Day, so it might get me back focused if I cheer up a bit!

If you want to get more practise why not put up a few notices in local newsagents.....something like nail technician requires models for portfolio building...........
It makes great practise and you get such a variety of nails ...plus you can build up your portfolio too.......and the best bit.....some of those models may become permanent clients!!
I always carry my portfolio around with me ......it's amazing how many people want to look and then decide they want some them selves.
I have had a regular waxing client for 5 years and i showed her my portfolio on wednesday by friday she was sporting a fab set of enhancements!
I am a mobile tech and i have worked from my dining table (massage couch actually) and at peoples houses .....i have never had any complaints and they all recieve high standards of treatments.
I have also done alot of FREE sets and still do ........it helps me to build my portfolio.....i can try new things before attempting them on new clients and my nails get noticed!
My freind had a company that locates nail technicains .beauticians and hairdressers for salons that are needing them urgently.....whether it be a permanent job or just a temporary position.
Obviously there are standards that are required.....but there are salons that are requiring recently trained technicians .....if it helps i can give you her details.

Thanks, I have pm'd you. And thank-you to the others that have PM'd me, I am really grateful!

Hiya

I've noticed that lots of other geeks have given you good advice...

All I can say that you should keep at it and don't let the issue about not being employed by a salon get you down too much.....!

I actually do nails in my kitchen - people don't mind where you do their nails once its a good job.

Do let us know what you decide to do, but think carefully!
XX

Latest posts

Back