Shampoo affecting enhancements????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle77

Reaction score
Hi there

I've just been seaching the web and seen that lanolin and shampoo can affect your enhancements. I knew that lanolin could cause lifting but haven't heard about shampoo having an effect.

Has anyone else heard this??????
icon_confused.gif

Thanx
Mich

Most shampoo's are watered down version of the same chemical base as washing up liquid :S . or washing powered (solid version with packing soda added) so I guessing that it could if they use a strong shampoo or wash hair a lot? Hair dressers ..
But I aint 100% sure ether .. :D if thats any help

Only noticed this with one client who has started to use a shampoo containing peroxide for blonde hair, it caused more of a staining effect like it had tried to lighten the acrylic lol!!! so I guess it makes sense as the chemicals are not as strong as used neat but could still affect the acrylic as they are still harsh chemicals that should be avoided with nail enhancements but most shampoos should be ok I have never had any probs with normal ones. Interesting to see what others may think on this too.

A large part of my clientelle are hairdressers and I rarely have a problem. I don't think you need to worry.:)

I think the main thing is that clients protect their nails as much as possible from harsh chemicals hot water with nail tips and use of chemicals is a real no no I think!!! ie: perming solution should be used with gloves as should washing up liquid when washing the dishes even with your own nails to help protect them. Soap products can be very drying to the skin and especially detergant for washing dishes. Clients should always stick to their advised after care. I wash my hair frequently and dont have any probs with my shampoos but they are gentle and do not contain anything like peroxide so I am not sure on this either but it makes sense if a shampoo contains harsher chemicals it could alter the acrylics appearance? A bit like acetone softens and weekens the enhancment. My client who had had probs from using her new shampoo told me she will wear gloves when washing her hair with it. She has never had probs with acrylic and her products before then she told me what she used and the ingredients sprang to mind including peroxide to help lighten and brighten blondes. Just imagining her trying to wash her hair with latex gloves on bless, I will ask her when I see her if this has helped then we will know!!!

to add to previous threads, and confirm my own experience with shampoos / hair products.
i have a hairdresser client who has her hands in water a LOT! she sometimes goes up to 4wks between rebalances (hmmm not ideal!), and has no real probs!

x

Its the Lanolin that can affect the enhancements :wink2:

No hand creams, body lotions, baby oil, etc that contain lanolin, some shampoos and conditioners contain this. Shampoos like Pantene, Flex, Organics, Timotei and Elvive have been known to affect the extension. Shampoos you can use are Salon Selectives, Herbal Essence and Super Soft by Schwarzkopf all have been used with no affect to the extension.

Hths

ohhhh thanks for that Lesley interesting!

Latest posts

Back