Should I carry on with beauty?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbeauty89

Reaction score
I need a little bit of advice . I’m self employed in a lovely little salon which I love and I am busy enough to pay my rent/bills etc . The only problem I have is my health, my back/neck and hands have never hurt so much since starting beauty 6 years ago. I have seen another job elsewhere which is a receptionist role in an aesthetics clinic .. looks great and I’ve always wanted to get into aesthetics (might be my way in) only problem is.. it’s less money more hours and a train ride away ! What do I do! I’m totally stuck. Any advice?

Have you tried an ergonomic assessent or occupational therapist? They may be able to give you advice about proper set up, chair height etc. You may be able to still do what you love without pain if you modify you workstyle. Being a receptionist isn't always easy on your body. I'e been admin for 15 years and wrist, shoulder, lower back, and neck issues develop over time when working incorrectly too. I also just hate to see someone give up something they love.

I need a little bit of advice . I’m self employed in a lovely little salon which I love and I am busy enough to pay my rent/bills etc . The only problem I have is my health, my back/neck and hands have never hurt so much since starting beauty 6 years ago. I have seen another job elsewhere which is a receptionist role in an aesthetics clinic .. looks great and I’ve always wanted to get into aesthetics (might be my way in) only problem is.. it’s less money more hours and a train ride away ! What do I do! I’m totally stuck. Any advice?

I have personal experience of this and I feel passionately that it's vital to do what causes you the least pain. Massage/physical work related pain gets worse over time no matter how ergonomic you are with it.

Your dilemma is twofold because it presents a scenario of employed vs self employed as well as the reducing the physical work thing. An alternative could be to change your treatment menu to accommodate your needs.

Latest posts

Back