Should I?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vixmg

Reaction score
Hi
I qualify as a Beauty Therpist NVQ level 2 next month and have been offered my own tiny little place to offer treatments. Im just so nervous, should I? I do lack confidence so much but I just love doing beauty therapy. Is there anything I need to do, anything I need to know? Any tips from people would be just soo helpful. I also want to go back to college but Im a bit unsure as to do NVQ level 3. I really want to do massage and eventually all kinds of nails. If you do have any advice I would be so grateful.:rolleyes:

Thanks

Vicky

Yes, definately go for it! while its fresh in your mind too!. I also qualify as a beauty therapist in June and would love that! you have to gain experience & confidence sooner or later! Good luck!.....

If you do take this big step don't forget
public liability insurance
salon insurance (i just got a great deal for both through salon gold)
you need to register with your local tax office within 3 months for been self employed or they will fine you
and you need to register with your local council for business rates, if you do this straight away you get a form to fill in for a small business relief which will save you loads hth

Yes - The main thing is that you love doing beauty therapy and have completed your NVQ 2. If you had just completed a few one day courses and was not sure I would feel that your lack of confidence was justified. However I feel that you are lacking the day to day commercial experience that comes with just getting out there after qualifying. Go for it and have faith in your abilities.

Go for it!:lol:
I started out working from home as soon as I finished my course. Naturally, I made a few mistakes along the way, but many of my clients that were with me from the start and still with me 3 years later!
One of the best things I found, was to network with others in the same or similar fields. I am great friends with a number of other therapists that also work for themselves, so it's helpful to bounce ideas off each other, and chat about your day. It's also great to be able to talk to others if you're having any problems.
Keep in touch with your course tutors and ask them if they'd mind helping you out with advice while you're getting started.
I also found it helpful to join the National Beauty Therapy Association, mainly to get the bi-monthly magazine which keeps me up to date with new products and the like.
Also, attend beauty expo's and demonstations in your area.
All the best!!
Donna

Latest posts

Back