Silk & Fibreglass question ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bagpuss

Sleepy Geek Zzzzzzzz
Reaction score
Hiya x

So sorry if this has either been asked b4 or just a really daft question....but

I have started to add a little fibreglass on the stress area of my heavy handed clients whilst using my Brisa....seems to be working !!!! i was thinking about trying with silk as the weaves are tighter and may be better with the clients that just have clear gel...now my questions....

Is fibreglass and silk just the same no matter where you get it from or is there better quality with different makes/suppliers.... ??? can you get coloured fabric..ie white/pink etc....?

thank you xxx

NailStyle said:
Hiya x

So sorry if this has either been asked b4 or just a really daft question....but

I have started to add a little fibreglass on the stress area of my heavy handed clients whilst using my Brisa....seems to be working !!!! i was thinking about trying with silk as the weaves are tighter and may be better with the clients that just have clear gel...now my questions....

Is fibreglass and silk just the same no matter where you get it from or is there better quality with different makes/suppliers.... ??? can you get coloured fabric..ie white/pink etc....?

thank you xxx
I
do beleive you cant get pink silk or fibreglass but I would have thought that pink in brisa is pink enough without using a pink wrap.

There is no white fibre glass or silk that I have heard of so you will have to use your paint on white to achieve the french polish.

I am curious about this post, are you doing a set of wraps then building it with gel?

Hiya....sorry maybe i didn't explain myself very well (nothing new there lol)

I don't do wraps....I only do normal Brisa enhancements....however i have some very heavy handed clients that need just a little reinforcement across the stress line....so i was advised to apply a little fibreglass strip along the stress line...just to add a bit more strength....so thats why i am asking does it matter where i buy it from...are they the same no matter....and would silk be better used with the clients who have clear gel as maybe this would look nicer under the gel.

xxxxx

When I did my Fabric# class my Tutor did say that there are varying qualities of fibreglass and silk.

The biggest issue seems to be the adhesive on the back, it needs some to enable it to stay put when you start to soak, but too much blocks the weave and the resin's can't penetrate well enough.

I've used the silk & fibreglass from the Fabric# range and the Backscratchers Silk

Oddly enough I only like the fibreglass with Fabric# and the silk with Backscratchers - but then we all know I'm odd!!! :o

I think it's a matter of you get what you pay for - so I would go with a better quality product personally.

PS - you can get white and pink silk/fibreglass too, I know I've seen it but can't remember where

HTH
Trin

Hiya i see now.

I just dont know if the gels would wet the Fibreglass i've never tired.

I think you'd have to apply fibreglass (available from any good wholesaler) wet the fibreglass and then apply another layer of resin activate, then apply Brisa...

If you tried to wet the wraps with brisa youd probably push it of the stress area.

These clients must be very heavy handed I nearly ripped my nail off yesterday as the bond was that good.

Could the apex be built a tad more to give some extra strength, or maybe take the length down on this client?

I've tried the Star silk and fiberglass and the strips with the Fabric system and to be honest to my eye they seem the same. I have had problems with the latter but I'm going to try the Star strips again with the Fabric system to see if its the silk or just me making a mess of it.

You can def get pink silk, Ruth uses it for pink/white wraps (not sure if she uses a white version though other than the norm). I have no idea where she gets it from. I'm sure she will be here any minute to tell you though!

Fab Freak said:
Hiya i see now.

I just dont know if the gels would wet the Fibreglass i've never tired.

I think you'd have to apply fibreglass (available from any good wholesaler) wet the fibreglass and then apply another layer of resin activate, then apply Brisa...

If you tried to wet the wraps with brisa youd probably push it of the stress area.

These clients must be very heavy handed I nearly ripped my nail off yesterday as the bond was that good.

Could the apex be built a tad more to give some extra strength, or maybe take the length down on this client?

Thanks for your help with this...x

I dont use any resin at all....no need with gel....the fibreglass will stick to the inhibition layer....then you stab the fibreglass with your gel brush very gently...befor applying your builder layer....etc....i am fine with using it and how to apply its just the quality i need to know about as i wonder if its the same as everything eles...you get what you pay for.!!!

The reason i have resorted to this with this lady is becouse i have taken down the length and my apex/building/stress area's are fine....she is just really heavy handed.....she may be just not suited to gel.....not everyone is...but b4 i give up on her i will make sure i have tried everything i possible can.

Thanks again xx

NailStyle said:
Thanks for your help with this...x

I dont use any resin at all....no need with gel....the fibreglass will stick to the inhibition layer....then you stab the fibreglass with your gel brush very gently...befor applying your builder layer....etc....i am fine with using it and how to apply its just the quality i need to know about as i wonder if its the same as everything eles...you get what you pay for.!!!

The reason i have resorted to this with this lady is becouse i have taken down the length and my apex/building/stress area's are fine....she is just really heavy handed.....she may be just not suited to gel.....not everyone is...but b4 i give up on her i will make sure i have tried everything i possible can.

Thanks again xx

Hi Angie,

I too have used this method with heavy handers :D can't say that I've tried fibreglass with gel so can't comment, but the silk worked well. I used clear (normal) coloured silk with pink gel over the top and it was fine.

If you want to try pink silk, Nail Solutions sell it.

HTh
Lou

Latest posts

Back