Skin Question! How Would You Answer This?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs.Clooney

Positive Geek
Reaction score
How would you answer this multiple choice question skin geeks based on the following information?

Keratinization begins to take place in the upper layers of the Stratum Spinosum but the final stages of keratinization take place in the Stratum Granulosum.

Question: Where in the epidermis does keratinization take place?
a) stratum lucidum
b) stratum germinativum
c) stratum spinosum
d) stratum granulosum

Is it c or is it d, because it actually takes place in both :rolleyes:?

May i just add that I am not asking for an answer to my homework, lol. I am going through some sample questions and this is one of those 'not so straight forward' ones. I am tempted to aswer 'c'.

Last edited:
What a stupid question!!!!:lol: It never ceases to amaze me the lack of English grammar skills that exist from the people who set these questions.:smack:

I suppose you could answer c or d and then argue your point. Otherwise I might be tempted to say 'd' because that is where the process completes.

Just checked my anatomy book and it says 'd'! "This layer consists of distinctly shaped cells, containing a number of granules which are involved in the hardening of the cells bu the process of keritinisation. This layer links the living cells of the epidermis to the dead cells above."

hth:hug:

What a stupid question!!!!:lol: It never ceases to amaze me the lack of English grammar skills that exist from the people who set these questions.:smack:

I suppose you could answer c or d and then argue your point. Otherwise I might be tempted to say 'd' because that is where the process completes.

Just checked my anatomy book and it says 'd'! "This layer consists of distinctly shaped cells, containing a number of granules which are involved in the hardening of the cells bu the process of keritinisation. This layer links the living cells of the epidermis to the dead cells above."

hth:hug:
Thanks for your reply :hug:. Problem is, one can't argue the question if it is in a multiple choice paper. It's one or the other!

But I agree, It's really not clear is it, lol? Hey, it might not even appear in the paper. If it does, I will answer with eaniemeanieminiemo :lol:.

These questions can seem like they are there to trick you. I would do with D as it is where it mainly and finally takes place! In C it is starting to take place but in D it takes place! :hug: I may be wrong though!

the quotation you have is incorrect "upper layers of the stratum spinosum" ss/pricke layer is one layer of the epidermis and has no sub layers. keritinisation however occurs in the granular layer.

Hi The answer is D) Stratum Granulosum. However the S.Spinosum is where the first step of cellular differentiation takes place - the layer when the immature cell changes into a fully functioning end cell. The S.Granulosum is the layer where actual keratinisation takes place, the cell nucleus disintegrates and then starts to fill with keratin. :)

the quotation you have is incorrect "upper layers of the stratum spinosum" ss/pricke layer is one layer of the epidermis and has no sub layers. keritinisation however occurs in the granular layer.
I do not believe it is incorrect. I think you have misunderstood. Each stratum may be individual separate specialized layers, but the stratum spinosum is made up of several layers of it's own speciaslized cells. Keratinization begins to take place in the upper layers/region/portion of this layer.

Hope this is more clear.

I am sure I remember this question!!! I think it is D, as this is where most of the process occurs...damn CIBTAC!:irked:

I am sure I remember this question!!! I think it is D, as this is where most of the process occurs...damn CIBTAC!:irked:
The actual question we got in the mock last week was, ' Where does keratinisation begin to take place?'

At least I know I got this answer correct, lol.

The actual question we got in the mock last week was, ' Where does keratinisation begin to take place?'

At least I know I got this answer correct, lol.

Ahh they were trying to trick you!!!:green:

Well done.

Latest posts

Back