Smile Lines

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlene

Reaction score
Hi all! Just been practising my smile and have a few problems. I find my smiles looking nice and neat before i apply the pink. Actually they even look neat until I begin to file. Then having finished up I'm always a little dissapointed with them, finding there just not crisp, or half of it is and then it trails off. I dunno. I know its to do with creating the little cove thingy (wall) so the pink sits nicely in it but I'm going wrong somewhere. I was taught to clean out the smile lines, does any one else do this? Form the smiles, then use the end point of the brush to clean it out. So place in the centre of the smile under the ledge wall thingy and swipe it from the centre and up to the right and then again from the centre up to the left. Is this common practise or could this be part of my problem? I have read the tutorial on here and noticed smile lines were creating my pushing acrylic upwards not touching the smile line at all and there was no mention of cleaning out. I also tried this and it was a little difficult. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

well i trained with Creative in febraury and i have NEVER got the hang of the smile line so i just use white tips now. i know that it doesnt look as good but i have practised and practised and practised and practised and practised. lol.

At Creative we do not teach to 'swipe' the smile line as this 'dulls' the edge and the finished look and also it is an overexposure hazard for the client.

Better to make the little 'cave' and correct any imperfections by gently poking the flags of the brush into the product.

If you are not naturally dexterous at using a brush or not artistically inclined then using white tips will do it all for you but the nails will not ever look as beautiful not will you ever learn the skill of doing it yourself.

Claire, if you are one of the ones that is satisfied with that kind of second rate work then no problem. But I can tell you this, you will never make a really good business of doing nails with an attitude of, "Oh it'll do".

geeg said:
At Creative we do not teach to 'swipe' the smile line as this 'dulls' the edge and the finished look and also it is an overexposure hazard for the client.

Better to make the little 'cave' and correct any imperfections by gently poking the flags of the brush into the product.

If you are not naturally dexterous at using a brush or not artistically inclined then using white tips will do it all for you but the nails will not ever look as beautiful not will you ever learn the skill of doing it yourself.

Claire, if you are one of the ones that is satisfied with that kind of second rate work then no problem. But I can tell you this, you will never make a really good business of doing nails with an attitude of, "Oh it'll do".

im not saying it'l do. i would never say that. i offer the best treatments that i can offer to my clients and i dont see why it is second rate

honestly once you get the hang of doing you smiles it starts to become enjoyable...alot of problems are nervousness, if you have to use white tips then that is the ideal oppurtunity to apply your white powder over the top and practise and the result is so much nicer.
when i apply my white pwder i place it away from my smile and push up and pat (tiny pats at the same time)(you dont even have to turn your brush which is another mistake i used to make)
so push up and pat push up and pat.(at the same time)
another tip is to calm down and dont feel you have to do it quick smart.
and also dont use to much white, and the wetter you work the harder doing your smiles is and you dont get that crisp look.
you really have to practise...and if you insist on white tips then put white powder over the top until you feel comfortable enough to ditch the white tips.
and if all else fails, why dont you book a 1-2-1
just my thoughts and how i do them
hth

Joannes advice is good advice. As long as you use only white tips you will never learn to use white powder, unless you do as she says and use both until you get it. Or do further training with someone who can show you 121.

You yourself said that the result you got wasn't as nice which to me means you think it is second rate. You said it I didn't.

I know its to do with creating the little cove thingy (wall) so the pink sits nicely in it but I'm going wrong somewhere. I was taught to clean out the smile lines, does any one else do this? Form the smiles, then use the end point of the brush to clean it out. So place in the centre of the smile under the ledge wall thingy and swipe it from the centre and up to the right and then again from the centre up to the left. Is this common practise or could this be part of my problem? I have read the tutorial on here and noticed smile lines were creating my pushing acrylic upwards not touching the smile line at all and there was no mention of cleaning out. I also tried this and it was a little difficult. Any advice would be great. Thanks.[/size][/font][/QUOTE]

i noticed the same thing when i was reading this tutorial (that they didnt mention using the brush to swipe it from side to side to tidy it up) i was also taught to do this on my foundation course which i have done since i take it this is wrong then? Also i wsasnt sure what was meant by creating the cove thingy (wall) so the pink sits nicely in it? i wasnt taught this was does it mean?

I was taught by creative to sweep and clean up under the smile line to tidy it up? Have I been taught wrong???

i found when use glitter with my clear powder i can get lovely smile lines but when i try doing it with white powder i can't get em as good?? x

juicylucy! said:
I was taught by creative to sweep and clean up under the smile line to tidy it up? Have I been taught wrong???

Thats what i was saying lucy i was defo taught that by creative too! Not sure if its right or wrong though he he

Just wondering if anyone else had any thoughts on this?

I think the one to one is a good idea if your having problems. Its really not that difficult. I just practised and practised on my nail trainer and it DOES get easier. I promise! Also, if your finding it really difficult then start off with white or natural tips - follow the smile on that and you'll have it in no time. Trying to sculpt white tips if you have never done it before is like been taught from scratch in a way so just remember - you were taught to do nails from scratch - so you can easily learn how to do a smile :)

There is only one solution to this dilema you are having

PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE.

Happy playing xx

Latest posts

Back