Some bridal make up advice needed please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annie ree

Reaction score
Hello all, I was after some help please on bridal make up. I did a 121 make up course with lord & berry and a make up artist from London in October. It was meant to be for at least 10 people but it was only me that booked and turned up on the day. I haven't done much with it since but I have a girls bridal make up to do on Sunday. She is a client of mine already and I have done a trial make up for her. We went over everything together, how much make up she normally wears, what colours she prefers, what look she was wanting to achieve etc etc. when I had finished she wanted her eye make up toning down even though I didn't make them anywhere near as dark as she requested as she told me she doesn't normally wear eye shadow so I was worried she would think they were too dark. I did that as I was totally happy to do so. She looked in the mirror and was happy and I took a photo on my iPad. When I got back she has sent me another picture but looked ghostly on it. I asked if she had had her flash on on her phone and she said she had. Anyway what I am basically trying to say is I am really worried she is going to look like a ghost on her wedding photos. She isn't having a professional photographer, a family member is doing her photos for her. Can anyone give me some advice regarding this and if she will still look ghostly unless I darken her foundation up. She is having a spray tan Friday too. I have asked for the camera to be there so I can take a couple of photos before I go so we can check. Sorry for the essay but getting rather worried about it. Thank you. X

Dont worry too much im asuming it was a close up photo with woll give flash back. And if shes havong a tan mach the foundation to rhe tan I think personally it will be fine xx

Hello all, I was after some help please on bridal make up. I did a 121 make up course with lord & berry and a make up artist from London in October. It was meant to be for at least 10 people but it was only me that booked and turned up on the day. I haven't done much with it since but I have a girls bridal make up to do on Sunday. She is a client of mine already and I have done a trial make up for her. We went over everything together, how much make up she normally wears, what colours she prefers, what look she was wanting to achieve etc etc. when I had finished she wanted her eye make up toning down even though I didn't make them anywhere near as dark as she requested as she told me she doesn't normally wear eye shadow so I was worried she would think they were too dark. I did that as I was totally happy to do so. She looked in the mirror and was happy and I took a photo on my iPad. When I got back she has sent me another picture but looked ghostly on it. I asked if she had had her flash on on her phone and she said she had. Anyway what I am basically trying to say is I am really worried she is going to look like a ghost on her wedding photos. She isn't having a professional photographer, a family member is doing her photos for her. Can anyone give me some advice regarding this and if she will still look ghostly unless I darken her foundation up. She is having a spray tan Friday too. I have asked for the camera to be there so I can take a couple of photos before I go so we can check. Sorry for the essay but getting rather worried about it. Thank you. X
ok don't worry...

If she is having a tan then this will help, as you will have to darken the foundation anyway to match this. You want to match her face to her neck/decolletage so that she looks even.

If she hadn't been having a tan, I would've said don't darken the face if you have matched the foundation to her neck etc, as her face will look darker than her body in the pictures! It might be that the foundation was slighly too light, but then it could just be the fault of the pesky flash - it does wash out colour!

Also another thought, avoid any foundations with SPF in or using stuff like strobe cream underneath, because this can cause camera flashback on the pictures.

I'd have thought it was an issue with the foundation/powder having spf in it rather than needing to darken the foundation. Which foundation did you use?

Spf in the foundation is what I was going to say too, there was a thread recently about Spf giving flash back in pics. It's the titanium in it that causes it, and can be the same if its in your primer or moisturiser. I'd avoid MAC strobe cream too for the same reason.

As for the eyes, don't let it knock your confidence, a lot of brides ask for dark or smoky eyes and then even when you do it very slightly, less than they ask for, its always too much :rolleyes: but then that's the point of a trial and why they're paying you.

It's good she has given you feedback though! :)

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Thank you all so much. My family members all say I'm panicking too much but I like to get things right and with it being such an important day for her I don't want anything to go wrong. I mixed two different shades of foundation that I have. I have all lord & berry stuff from doing my training with them. One was really light but the other was too dark seeing as she was so pale so I was told to mix in this case. They were 8601 and 8605. I may have done something wrong by using face serum to her face. Apologies if that may be it. So after her tan she won't need as much foundation but I will be able to use the darker one out of my foundation too. Just use a little Bronzer and natural blusher. Thank you. X

I doubt you would be wrong using face serum, unless that had SPF for sun protection. Maybe do another trial so you're both comfortable. And take lots of photos so you can see the difference to real life?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Firstly take a deep breath!

Secondly ... Point and shoot cameras never produce the same high quality images that a pro photographer can and the person she has hired for photos will be adjust their camera to take into account light and adjust it etc so this won't happen On her wedding day photos.

I highly recommend using foundations, primers, moisturisers that have no SPF or very little SPF in them As this will reduce the chance of 'ghosting' in the final images.

Have confidence your abilities!

You don't need a second trial unless the bride pushes for one, just inform her of the amendments you suggest should be made to look I.e no SPF foundations etc and get her to ok them in writing and reassure her that everything on the day will be fine.

If you start to panic so will she, so don't make a big issue out of something that can easily be resolved otherwise she might start getting second thoughts!

Latest posts

Back