sorry..more cracks

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bagpuss

Sleepy Geek Zzzzzzzz
Reaction score
Hiya all xx

I gatecrashed a thread regarding cracks in tips...got some good advise...well the same client came back today to show me the cracks. it was on 8 of her nails..i do not think it is her..at all.

The cracks...only in tip not in gel...not stress area...they run from free edge of tip down the nail to smile line.

Her nails...no free edge...very wide...very flat..been using stick ons since December.

The tips...Natural Creative Formation...pre tailored.

I have not put any liquids (scrubfresh etc) on the tip...i re-did them for her and as i was about to apply the final coat of gloss gel...a crack appeared on the new nail i had just done....(this is why i know its not her) at this point i am getting in a right tizzy and just want to throw my brush across the room.
I had to take it off again and re-do for the 3rd time...i have never had this problem b4.

I had oversized then tips and then tailored them to fit so they were not forced into a unnatural shape. The 1 that cracked in front of me i did again with the biggest size tip i had and it seemed ok ...no crack...yet !!

What am i doing wrong with this lady....its driving me nuts.

thanks xx

I had a similar problem a while back and GMG said it was because it's due to using too curved a tip on a flat nail plate. I don't know what the tips are that you are using, but try and find one that has a very flat well and then you may still need to tailor a bigger size........ Took me a while to find his advice ...

GMG wrote "Remember that its all about pressure.

The flatter the natural nail and the greater the ccurve of the tip, the more pressur will be exerted on the tip. Its this pressure that causes teh vertical cracking.
Sometimes that pressure by itself isnt enough to make it crack.
THere are other things that contribute to the pressure and may be enough to 'push the tip over the edge' so to speak.
1- solvents
2- tip cutters (as was mentioned before)
3- Blending (you should always do! In this case though, it takes away tip support that was preventing it cracking in the first place!)
4- Eating your nails
5- Trauma
6- Excessive shrinkage. Gels traditionally shrink more than L&P so that could contribute to it as well.

Hope this helps!"

Hiya..thanks sassy

That has helped alot....i am thinking now i should be using the eclipse tips instead..the ones with the notch in the well...am i on the right track..

thanks xx

NailStyle said:
Hiya..thanks sassy

That has helped alot....i am thinking now i should be using the eclipse tips instead..the ones with the notch in the well...am i on the right track..

thanks xx
Yes Angie, I`m sure using eclipse on this client could well make the difference, Sassy is right, it could be any of those problems.
While I did my brisa class though someone asked what would happen if we got bonder on the tip when its supposed to just go on the natural nail. Just as we were asking someone had actually put it on the tip and watched it crack there and then so I am vigilant not to make that same mistake. Just something to beware of when using brisa gel.

thanks debs...i am gonna get some eclispe for sure...i have put bonder on my tip b4 and yeah it does crack them...this is what i couldnt understand as i am soooo careful to not get anything on the tips...just turns out i was using the wrong type of tip in the first place...doh!!!!! oh well .. lesson well learned...thanks xx

you could always try cutting a 'v' shape in to the well area. i find this helps with flat nails and it saves you buying lots of different tips if its just for that 1 client

Yes Debs is right I was just about to suggest Eclipse tips. I use them all the time with one of my clients (who has flat nails) they're just the job. Well worth investing in more than one kind of tip.

I use:
Foundation
Eclipse
Velocity

Sometimes I can end up using a mixture of at least two of these on one client. Its supprising how different each nail can be.
HTH:)

Latest posts

Back