Spray tans, midwife bans 22 week pregnant lady

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vulcan

Reaction score
Hi I have had a 22 weeks pregnant lady get into trouble off her midwife for have a Spraytan & who's banned her from having one ,she said she could have the rub in one but not a spray and if she does will be in trouble .she said it's the inhalation of the chemicles....what evidence is there ir what ammunition can I give my now frightened & gutted lady to give to her midwife...what would you do or where can I go to find anything out
Thankyou xx

Bizarre! The midwife sounds very bossy and she can't ban anything. Neither can her GP.

If the midwife is simply concerned about her possibly inhaling the spray, get her to wear a small face mask (DIY shops sell them) whilst you spray the body all over and then remove it and hold her breath for the face?

Surely you need to check your spray tan brand is safe in pregnancy also? Spray tanning is not entirely recommended in pregnancy most especially early pregnancy - later on its brand specific . Unless your brand specifies it's safe to use throughout pregnancy it's not worth the risk.

I had a spray tan at 5 months pregnant. (My friend is a spray tanner) and her insurance said it was fine as long as it was after the first trimester. x

I was always taught that it was fine as long as it was after the first trimester - even then there was no proof that it would cause any harm before- but it was best to air on the side of caution . But then I never knew that some were brand specific for pregnancy which is great to know !

Bit bizarre that she has 'banned' her though ...

Personally I think she should follow her midwives advice. Maybe she has had problems before and midwife is being cautious. I wouldn't want to go against medical advice. I have also been told it's safe but if they have been told not to its not worth the risk.

This thread may now be deleted as there's some one that is offended by science, research, fact or all three.!. The last time I noticed a thread of this nature and posted, it was promptly deleted so I'm guessing a tan manufacturer complained. DHA has only been safety tested for topical application, not for atomisation and inhalation. It has been proved that it does not pass in to the blood stream when applied topically, no such safety claims can be made for spray tans, no research or safety tests have been carried out. Simply Google "DHA inhalation dangers." I would recommend that pregnant women don't do this. You wouldn't drink or smoke whilst pregnant so why take a chemical into your blood stream and straight to your foetus? Don't take these kind of risks with your child's health for the sake of vanity. Is it so hard to do a manual tan?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back