Staff Smoking

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koskinas

Reaction score
Hi
This might be a silly thread as it might not even be an issue as I haven't seen it in any forums.
As a salon owner do you have a staff smoking policy.
i.e. no smoking breaks,
1. do you allow them to smoke only on their lunch break?
2. any time they have a break?
3. Not at all?
4. Are they allowed to smoke in uniform?
I am opening a salon soon and am making up my contract, I don't want to be seen as a strict witch, but I'm really not keen on my staff smoking due to the smell and the addictive need to pop out for a quick cigerette! I also wouldn't want them to be seen in uniform near the premises smoking I think it looks unprofessional!
Really hoping not to offend any smokers on here honestly! Have seen people can be quite sensitive and I completely understand being an ex-smoker I know how difficult it would be for your therapist not to smoke for a long amount of hours.
Am I being unreasonable?
How do other salon owners deal with it? do you enforce a policy? and if so have you had problems enforcing it?
I look forward to hearing your imput
Thank you

In my opinion, what a staff member does on their break time is their own business, but you could ask that if they are going out for a smoke could they please cover it up with a jacket/jumper or remove at least the top part of their uniform iykwim

I think this is a subject that can lead to a complete verbal punchup but I agree that I would not be happy receiving a facial or similar from someone who smells of smoke. It is as simple as that.

I am all for everyone's right to smoke in their own time and away from others but this is business and it is a contact sport!

I work along the lines that my non smoking clients may be put off by a therapist who smokes but a client that smokes is not going to be offended by a non smoking therapist who smells only of lotions and potions.

Call us non smokers over sensitive if you want to, but that is life and as I said before this is a business!

This can be a touch subject but you are the boss, it is your business and you must make the policies and not be afraid to.

Sheila :)

Hi,
I am not a salon owner but as a client i had an indian head massage at a college & the student did'nt wash her hands before doing it so throughout all i could smell was cigarettes on her right hand so on the feedback i wrote that i did'nt enjoy the treatment although the student was lovely and very polite:(. I also had an electrical facial where the student did wash hands prior to starting but her fingers and uniform still smelled. I politely said i could smell cigarettes on her fingers she apologised and re-washed hands thoroughly but it does'nt remove it. A smoker can't smell it but it's really unpleasent to a non smoker. I did'nt enjoy the facial either so i spoke to the tutor and receptionist to request a non smoking student for future treatments as they are very short of clients and i pay for them to practice whatever they like on me. If i was paying full price in a salon i would ask for another therapist to continue the treatment, it's just not professional.

I think it would depend on the treatment. If the therapist was working on my face and smelled of smoke, I would find it off-putting (although would prefer not to say anything out of tact).

If it was a treatment such as waxing, then it would not be such a big deal.
Posted via Mobile Device

Can you not just advertise for and employ non-smoking staff? Or is that against one's human rights these days?

Can you not just advertise for and employ non-smoking staff? Or is that against one's human rights these days?

It probably counts as discrimination! Best to read up on the appropriate employment law to be sure though!
Posted via Mobile Device

I had a facial when the therapist had just had a cigarette before and I could not relax at all, both her breath and fingers smelt. :mad:

I remember a fishmongers who employed non smokers only but this was years ago and not sure if we can specify that any potential employee be a non smoker,though I 100% agree we should be able to.I personally have never smoked and would not like a facial or anything that involved someone near my face/nose who smoked.I suppose a pedi would be ok.

I think it's best(as an earlier poster said)to check what the law is regarding this.I would imagine it was perfectly in our rights to have a non smoker policy but who knows.

I have had clients moan to me about other salons they have been to where a therapist has carried out their treatment and have smelled of smoke,and how they wouldn't go back because of this,so I dont really think it's up to the therapist what she does on her break as this can obviously have a knock on affect.Its a very tricky one tbh and as always with the smoking threads im sure will provoke plenty of feedback:)

I personally think it looks awful if you see a therapist outside the salon smoking in uniform and then popping back in afterwards. I have had a few treatments both beauty and hair where the therapist or stylist has just literally had a smoke and come back in, doused themselves in perfume but not washed their hands, and its really off putting! I am a smoker (again, unfortunatley) but i never smoked at work or in uniform - i usually wait until i finished my shift.
As mentioned before if you do employ smokers then lethem smoke at lunchtime/breaks but away from the salon and with a coat or jacket on, and emphasise the need for cleanliness afterwards because you cant always get rid of the smells regardless of how much handwashing or spraying of perfume you do.
I would also steer clear from saying that they can nip out whenever it's quiet as you will find that this will be taken advantage of and you may have some therapists (not all of them) who will deliberately make a space in the day for fag breaks! I've worked with a few of them!!:lol: xXx

I remember a fishmongers who employed non smokers only but this was years ago and not sure if we can specify that any potential employee be a non smoker,though I 100% agree we should be able to.I personally have never smoked and would not like a facial or anything that involved someone near my face/nose who smoked.I suppose a pedi would be ok.

I think it's best(as an earlier poster said)to check what the law is regarding this.I would imagine it was perfectly in our rights to have a non smoker policy but who knows.

I have had clients moan to me about other salons they have been to where a therapist has carried out their treatment and have smelled of smoke,and how they wouldn't go back because of this,so I dont really think it's up to the therapist what she does on her break as this can obviously have a knock on affect.Its a very tricky one tbh and as always with the smoking threads im sure will provoke plenty of feedback:)

Maybe it depends on how you word it. Banning smoking outright would likely be seen as discrimination and infringing human rights.

But asking that employees smell fresh at all times (i.e. not smelling of smoke) would be reasonable, as that is a hygiene and client comfort issue, and is what one would expect as a requirement as a professional performing treatments on clients.
Posted via Mobile Device

I remember being given a pampering session as a gift years ago when I was pregnant (I miscarried later, so nope, have no children). The therapist was clearly a smoker with nicotine stained fingers, smelly fingers, breath and uniform. I was struggling with morning (noon and night!) sickness and I spent the whole treatment desperately trying not to hurl because of the smell.
I agree wholeheartedly with SheDunlop. It's your business, it's not a democracry.

I work in a Salon and I am a smoker.. Personally, I dont have time for a quick smoke.. and am working so hard that i dont even think about it when i do.. I hate the smell of stale cigarettes.. its something i am very concious of when and if i get a break and have one... The thing is, In a salon environment there is no excuse for smelling like cigarretes.. a thorough wash of hands and a spritz of perfume.. then a lavish hand cream.. breath mint and bingo, the smell is gone!
Stale cigarrete smell comes down to not practising continuous hand washing and or washing uniform every night!..

On the other hand I have had a service from a woman whos perfume was so over powering i could not relax... being open with each other is a must and i expect my fellow workers to tell me to spritz if they get a hint of ANY bad smells.. after 3 rebalances in a row even the pits can be in need of a spruce up!

Maybe it depends on how you word it. Banning smoking outright would likely be seen as discrimination and infringing human rights.

But asking that employees smell fresh at all times (i.e. not smelling of smoke) would be reasonable, as that is a hygiene and client comfort issue, and is what one would expect as a requirement as a professional performing treatments on clients.
Posted via Mobile Device

The problem is that a lot of smokers dont actually smell it on themselves.It's us non smokers that can smell it more(mind you I have the most sensitive nose in the world :eek:).Personally,I would prefer non smoking therapists(this is not saying that one therapist is better than another,not at all) but if they did it at home and not during the working day at all that is their business and doesn't hurt anyone.:hug:No amount of hand washing,perfume can mask that smell,perhaps they should invent a non smelling cigarette!!!

I remember being given a pampering session as a gift years ago when I was pregnant (I miscarried later, so nope, have no children). The therapist was clearly a smoker with nicotine stained fingers, smelly fingers, breath and uniform. I was struggling with morning (noon and night!) sickness and I spent the whole treatment desperately trying not to hurl because of the smell.
I agree wholeheartedly with SheDunlop. It's your business, it's not a democracry.

Thankfully, we live in a Democracy of sorts.. If we allow business owners to discriminate in anyway, where does it end? There is a saying about painting everyone with the same brush.. If you have a problem with one of your workers concerning anything, then THAT worker should be quietly talked too.. Will we start not employing people based on what we dont like about them and their social habits over the skills they have worked hard to get??

The way I see it, If and when the government bans the sale of tobacco then people can discriminate against people who smoke.. but until then it stinks of hypocrisy!

I'm a smoker and non of my clients know that I am, this is because I smoke menthol cigs and I'm super conscious of the smell. If it slips out in conversation they're always surprised and say that they didn't have a clue!!!!!
I always have body spray in my handbag and a mouth spray as well as chewing gum... I think that being a considerate smoker goes a long way to 'hiding' it from clients (iykwim).

If I saw an advert specifically banning any applicants who smoked I would feel discriminated against PLUS you could be missing out on a fantastic therapist/technician by only advertising for non-smokers.

IMO, what staff do on their breaks is up to them, how they deal with any effects from it is another story, ie being conscious of their odour, washing hands, using body spray etc etc etc

Like Chels, when I'm working I 'forget' about smoking as I'm too busy :green:

Last edited:
The way I see it, If and when the government bans the sale of tobacco then people can discriminate against people who smoke.. but until then it stinks of hypocrisy!

I agree. So whereas some employers I have worked for have specific anti-drugs policies, then that is OK, because the drugs in question are illegal anyway.

However, the smoking question I think comes down to finding the right balance between individual freedom, and making sure that your therapists present themselves well when performing treatments on clients.

The UK already has more draconian smoking legislation than most countries anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hey just a thaught- maby you could do an application form to fill in and on it put the question "do you smoke". I may be wrong but im sure that i have seen forms with this on before. x

I'm a smoker.
AND I CAN smell it on others if they are 'heavy' smokers.
BUT I'm also a paranoid smoker.
I always wash my hands, INCLUDING my forearms, to remove smoke smell. Perfume is a must in my handbag. Including a matching mist spray for my hair. I carry toothbrush & paste, gum & breath spray. I am ARMED to the teeth against smoke LOL
I have had clients say "OH, I didn't know you smoked" SOooo If a smoker is conscientious and careful, they do NOT have to offend the olfactory senses of their clients.

Smokers should not be discriminated against. BUT they should be conscientious. I do agree that if they have a uniform/vest, they shouldn't smoke while wearing it, so that it doesn't absorb the odour. BUT I don't think they have to remove it according to 'image', if you know what I mean? That would be discrimination.

But to put things into perspective, I've been around non-smokers that stink for other reasons.... and that's JUST as unpleasant. I have disembarked from the underground metro to change trains because someone was eating Doritos (makes me wanna throw-up), or because of someone's BO, or someone's excessively strong/cheap perfume... I have a sensitive nose....
People have a 'smell', whether it's BO, or last night's garlic or curry dinner, etc... And whether a smoker or non-smoker, we should be aware of that and remember that not everyone likes the same smell.

Yes, they should be allowed to smoke on their break. It's THEIR break and THEIR time... Are you going to tell the non-smoker that they're not allowed to read or whatever on their break? No...
Should non-smokers get more breaks? NO.

I don't feel that it should be mentioned in the contract. It's going a bit far. But it is something that can be discussed openly, with tact.

I'm a smoker and non of my clients know that I am, this is because I smoke menthol cigs and I'm super conscious of the smell.

Yeah and menthol cigarettes make you smell like peppermints :)
I'm only joking.....tobacco is tobacco menthol or not,.

Gawd i feel like i'm at an AA meeting "my names alcoholic and i'm a Carl".

Hang on a minute, my name's Carl and I'm a smoker, I repect peoples right to smoke and I repect non-smokers too.

If I was working with faces, I would scrub the hell out of my hands, I remember many years ago when dentists didn't wear gloves and his finger smelt/tasted of salami, this is kinda the same.

Scents of any kind should be neutral.

I have a client who's perfume is so strong, not only can I smell it, I can taste it.

Latest posts

Back